Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2015, 04:17 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,731,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Wow, look at parts of Quebec. Below zero Fahrenheit in the afternoon in late March.
Impressive, though those two subzero spots are most likely on higher ground in the Laurentian mountains. Nearby St Lawrence banks don't look as cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Polar Vortex right over them. Coldest mid level temps in entire northern hemisphere is over them and northern new england.
Coldest 850 mb temps of the hemisphere at such a low latitude must be ususual, no? Though I see a spot with similar temps above Baffin island.

Btw just seen that there's a map of North America now on Meteociel:
Meteociel - Cartes du modle numrique GFS pour l'Amérique du Nord (Etats-Unis/Canada)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 04:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Nice! Their archives only go back to 2007, still nice resource. Looks like Baffin Island is tied with Quebec / Ontario:

Meteociel - Cartes du modle numrique GFS pour l'Amérique du Nord (Etats-Unis/Canada)

Forecast shows another polar vortex after Friday next week as Cambium mentioned. Looking through the archives. Who can forget February 15th? -28°C 850mb temperatures over Vermont, only a small spot above Nunavut was as cold in North America. A hiker at 850mb died that weekend, blown off a moutainside, and then slowly froze to death where she landed. Had snowed earlier in the weekend, I remember walking to my car in 0°F weather with strong winds. Happy Valentine's weekend!

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse...para=0&carte=2

Last edited by nei; 03-22-2015 at 04:33 PM..

Old 03-22-2015, 04:49 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,215,512 times
There might be sleet or a few wet snowflakes mixing in with the rain showers tomorrow in indianapolis, and i thought winter was done with his shenanigans, i guess not just yet.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:12 PM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times
https://twitter.com/JimCantore/statu...78887393005568

Old 03-22-2015, 05:39 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Euro Ensemble Mean says Maine didn't get enough yet.
  • Basically says a Clipper comes down Saturday ( a winter setup, not spring)
  • NW Flow & trough in the East (what else is new)
  • Clipper takes the path of the black line, (snow in the U.P and Canada)
  • then blows up over New England. (HEAVY Snow accumulations in New England from this update)
Now imagine that storm is south more over NJ instead. Heavy snow would be here and MA..

Those are the details we cant really talk about until we get closer. Lets just see if the storm keeps showing up

Old 03-22-2015, 05:56 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Quote:
Lets forget the cold for a second and look at the warmth coming even if its just 1-2 days worth.. Was going to post the U.S map but Northeast is itching for the warmth.. So....

GFS Max temps Thurs afternoon. 60s along the coastal Plain up to PA/NJ! 50s up to southern NH. I guess even those 30s in Maine will be a relief. 40s in Vermont!

70 in DC? Have they hit yet? Cherry Blossoms soon?
That orange looks beautiful!

Old 03-22-2015, 06:26 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Coldest 850 mb temps of the hemisphere at such a low latitude must be ususual, no? Though I see a spot with similar temps above Baffin island.
Yup, you took the words out of my mouth. Impressive for that low in latitude. While there are some spots in the Northern Hem at -20C the biggest airmass & core is right there. Quebec & New England.

When the Vortex is that low you can assure there's some cold air around it.

Record Lows for Maine tonight.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME
636 PM EDT SUN MAR 22 2015

.SYNOPSIS...
STRONG COLD AIR ADVECTION WILL CONTINUE THROUGH MONDAY AND BRING
NEAR RECORD COLD TEMPERATURES TO THE REGION

VERY GUSTY NW WINDS CONTINUE TO USHER IN AN UNSEASONABLY COLD
EARLY SPRING AIR MASS. MODEL FORECASTS CONTINUE TO BRING H8
TEMPERATURES DOWN TO -21 C
TONIGHT ACROSS THE FORECAST AREA. THIS
REPRESENTS A -3 SIGMA ANOMALY...AND A ROUGHLY ONCE EVERY DECADE OR
MORE RETURN PERIOD
. IN FACT IF H8 TEMPERATURES VERIFY THAT COLD
IT WOULD BE A NEW RECORD IN THE SOUNDING CLIMATOLOGY FOR PWM/GYX
ON THIS DATE.

GIVEN THIS I EXPECT BITTERLY COLD TEMPERATURES TONIGHT...WITH COLD
ADVECTION CONTINUING THE DOWNWARD TREND INTO THE TEENS AND SINGLE
DIGITS. THIS WILL BE RECORD OR NEAR RECORD COLD FOR PARTS OF THE
AREA.

THERE IS ALSO A CHANCE THAT COLD TEMPERATURES AND GUSTY WINDS
COMBINE TO PRODUCE WIND CHILLS NEAR 20 BELOW ACROSS THE FAR
NORTHERN ZONES
. THIS IS A LOW CONFIDENCE FORECAST HOWEVER...SO
NO HEADLINE IS PLANNED AT THIS TIME. ISOLATED READINGS THAT LOW
WILL BE POSSIBLE THOUGH.

Current 850mb temps and 500mb heights. I see a 972mb Storm up there.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:42 PM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times
Look at the 6-10 day forecast anomalies! What surprise!

Old 03-22-2015, 07:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
1 week & 2 days left in March, here's how the temp departures were for past 3 weeks every 7 days. Northeast & Florida consistency.
Gah. Even mid March was below average. Stands out as the only close to average since mid January, though a short bit of early February came close:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/38911567-post42.html

========================

On Long Island today. Expected it'd be colder, but reached low 40s with lots of wind. Can imagine that wind blowing in frigid air up north, but couldn't really make it here. Got 4 inches or so of snow Friday, most of it is melted. Without sun this strong, probably could have lasted longer.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:51 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,161,230 times
Quote:
Lets forget the cold for a second and look at the warmth coming even if its just 1-2 days worth.. Was going to post the U.S map but Northeast is itching for the warmth.. So....

GFS Max temps Thurs afternoon. 60s along the coastal Plain up to PA/NJ! 50s up to southern NH. I guess even those 30s in Maine will be a relief. 40s in Vermont!

70 in DC? Have they hit yet? Cherry Blossoms soon?
Already hit 73F on St Patrick's Day in D.C.; BWI 70F, Inner Harbor and Dulles 69F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather