Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 06:54 AM

5,039 posts, read 4,353,305 times

Advertisements

Favorite: Upper South
Least favorite: Alaska, the West coast, Desert Southwest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 10:21 AM

84 posts, read 100,202 times
I can only speak for places I've actually lived in - which are not necessarily the best or worst in my country (not by a long-shot, I'm sure) - just the best and worst I've experienced in all 4 seasons. That being said, here are my choices for U.S. cities I've actually lived in and in which I've experienced at least 4 consecutive seasons:

Best: Sacramento, CA
Worst: Portland, OR

As for cities I have never lived in but have visited, well, I don't typically visit cities during their bad weather seasons, but my favorite city for good weather is San Diego, CA.

EDIT: San Francisco is another city that would be on my worst weather list for cities I've lived in - mainly because of the fog. I found it terribly gloomy for that reason alone. Portland is on that list because of all the rain and colder weather. If employment and family were not factors, I would prefer to live where it is mostly sunny and warm.

Last edited by Anikalana; 12-13-2014 at 10:52 AM..

Old 12-13-2014, 10:29 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Best: Honolulu. Stable warmth with no cold snaps, unlike South Florida. Also unlike South Florida, it can stay warm and moderately humid without ever getting oppressive. Honolulu also gets enough rainfall, IMO.

Worst: Barrow or San Francisco. San Francisco is so foggy a lot of the time, but gets very little rain. It's also more often than not cool and gloomy; kind of a boring climate. Barrow is awful just because it's extreme cold all year long. No thanks.
San Francisco's summer climate sucks in the city itself but you can get warmth with a short drive or ride on BART easily. Can't do that in Barrow ever.

Worst climate in the lower 48 would be the upper midwest or northern great plains for it's bitter cold winters or the Seattle area where you can literally go without seeing the sun for weeks on the end no matter what microclimate you go to. If I were forced to live in San Francisco, I'd spend all my summer days off in the inner East Bay for highs in the upper 80s on the average.

Best climate: the U.S. doesn't really have an A climates for me but it's a toss up between my own inland Orange County climate (for moderated temperatures with summers in the 80s and winters in the 60s but woefully lacks warm rain and thunderstorms in summer) and north to central Florida (lots of warm rain and thunderstorms in summer and winter sun with highs in the upper 60s) but summers are a bit too hot and humid and the winter cold snaps are a bit too strong when they happen not to mention the hurricane threat.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:16 AM

680 posts, read 649,109 times
Worst: Southeast, too oppressive in the summer months and it never ends(Excluding the higher elevation parts of the Appalachians)
Best: The Entire Pacific Coast(San Diego, Northern California, and the Pacific Northwest) and places in the mountain states so to speak... Colorado, Utah, and so on.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:20 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
No. Sainté is too warm in winter. Maybe because of the cauldron? And it's a tiny hamlet. Proof: I've never been there, and I'm positive I've visited every French city.

I've been quite a few times in St-Etienne and the snow cover was sometimes quite impressive. Who needs more snow days when the snow cover lasts longer ? This is what I'm currently experiencing here.

Also, I think Cherbourg might be even worse than Brest.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:30 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
An update from my earlier post in this thread in which I only included populated cities (now I include just about any places in Australia, populated or not):

Best: Narooma, NSW, Batemans Bay and Eucla, WA

Worst: Wyndham, WA , Darwin, Charlotte Pass and Mount Read, TAS

Old 07-28-2017, 10:59 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,215,512 times
Best: the entire Southern and Eastern United States

Worst: A toss up between the western High Plains of the Great Plains and the polar tundra climate of Northern Alaska.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:44 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,058 times
Best: Malmö or Lund
Worst : Anywhere in Jämtland and Lappland.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:57 AM

2,460 posts, read 1,355,826 times
From Provincial Capitals

Most Favourite Ones:
Ağrı: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A%C4%9Fr%C4%B1
Ardahan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardahan

Least Favourite Ones:
Mersin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersin
Antalya: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antalya

Old 07-29-2017, 05:49 AM

1,363 posts, read 791,328 times
In Australia, least favourite is Mt Read, Tasmania https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Read_(Tasmania) and favourite would probably be Karratha, Western Australia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karrat...tern_Australia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather