Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer?
A winter in the L.A. neighborhood of your choice without central heating 28 33.33%
A winter in the Miami neighborhood of your choice without central heating 56 66.67%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 12:10 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,471,837 times

Advertisements

Mission viejo is from the San diego branch, you aren't fooling anybody, most certainly not me. That forecast isn't anywhere in LA Area, that is more like Palmdale in the upper desert or a desert city.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:26 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,172,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
Mission viejo is from the San diego branch, you aren't fooling anybody, most certainly not me. That forecast isn't anywhere in LA Area, that is more like Palmdale in the upper desert or a desert city.

It's Woodland Hills, the location that sees the hottest summer temperatures that you love so much. It's in L.A. proper. Look it up.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
It's Woodland Hills, the location that sees the hottest summer temperatures that you love so much. It's in L.A. proper. Look it up.
on the weather app on my phone it says woodland hills will see 36 F on Wednesday, that is the lowest it will go. It's currently 45 F.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:34 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedibes View Post
I lived in L.A. for nine years without central heating. On chilly nights we just turned the fireplace on and added an extra blanket. I'd always rather sleep cool than sleep hot, so it was not a problem. We were on the west side, about 5 miles from the beach, so it was not by any means the warmest part of L.A., but I enjoyed having a variation in temperature--it was an excuse to turn on the fire and wear "winter" clothes .
Actually, the coast is arguably as warm as or warmer than inland LA if you factor in the nighttime lows, which are far cooler inland than they are near the beaches.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Actually, the coast is arguably as warm as or warmer than inland LA if you factor in the nighttime lows, which are far cooler inland than they are near the beaches.
Only at night though. During the day, if it's sunny, the inland communities warm up more quickly than the coast because of the seabreeze effect.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Only at night though. During the day, if it's sunny, the inland communities warm up more quickly than the coast because of the seabreeze effect.
Actually the coastal and basin cities warm quicker because on sunny days in winter no seabreeze is present in the morning.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
Actually the coastal and basin cities warm quicker because on sunny days in winter no seabreeze is present in the morning.
LAX and the coastal locations have lower average highs in winter (mid 60s) than some of the inland locations (upper 60s to very low 70s). Anaheim is the warmest winter microclimate so let me post a link to their forecast for them for the next few days just to be fair. It looks like they may stay above 40 during this coming week but barely. Low of 40 F AND a slight chance of showers on New Year's Eve! Looks like snow down to 2,000 feet or even lower is a real possibility if those showers do come.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...1#.VJ-4K_8SACA

Old 12-28-2014, 06:11 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
L.A. without central heating for me - without A/C in Miami I would get uncomfortably hot most days of the winter and the air coming through my window while sleeping would be uncomfortably warm and humid. In L.A. I would get a much better night's sleep while not requiring air conditioning, which I think is worth having to layer up a bit inside much of the time. Honestly, even on the rare occasions when I need a coat inside I don't really notice it anymore after a few hours of wearing it.

As an aside, all this consternation and equivocation over a few degrees is one reason central heat and air conditioning was so popular in the first place - next to what we're discussing here "set it and forget it" holds great appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
I mean yes it can be "cold" but high of 58 and a low of 38 (usually about our average coldest day) is nothing compared to an AVERAGE day up north.
In a large portion of "the North" (what I'd call the "Far North") 58/38F would be a fairly typical day in summer.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post

In a large portion of "the North" (what I'd call the "Far North") 58/38F would be a fairly typical day in summer.
Even Fairbanks and Yellowknife have average highs over 70 F in July (which is something that San Francisco fails to master this basic summer task despite it being frostproof in winter).

Old 12-28-2014, 12:07 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,772,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
L.A. without central heating for me - without A/C in Miami I would get uncomfortably hot most days of the winter and the air coming through my window while sleeping would be uncomfortably warm and humid. In L.A. I would get a much better night's sleep while not requiring air conditioning, which I think is worth having to layer up a bit inside much of the time. Honestly, even on the rare occasions when I need a coat inside I don't really notice it anymore after a few hours of wearing it.

As an aside, all this consternation and equivocation over a few degrees is one reason central heat and air conditioning was so popular in the first place - next to what we're discussing here "set it and forget it" holds great appeal.

Sorry If I confused you. For us here in florida the "north" is washington DC northwards. Were you talking about northern alaska (barrow) north as "north"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather