Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer?
A winter in the L.A. neighborhood of your choice without central heating 28 33.33%
A winter in the Miami neighborhood of your choice without central heating 56 66.67%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 02:40 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
LAX and the coastal locations have lower average highs in winter (mid 60s) than some of the inland locations (upper 60s to very low 70s). Anaheim is the warmest winter microclimate so let me post a link to their forecast for them for the next few days just to be fair. It looks like they may stay above 40 during this coming week but barely. Low of 40 F AND a slight chance of showers on New Year's Eve! Looks like snow down to 2,000 feet or even lower is a real possibility if those showers do come.

National Weather Service
Anaheim is not the hottest microclimate in winter. It's the area from east LA to my suburb.

2,000 feet won't occur I'll guarantee it.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:22 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,571 times
I just went to www.myforecast.com and typed in Los Angeles so not sure which microclimate it is in but it calls for 2 nights of subfreezing temperatures plus 2 more nights pretty close to freezing.

Attached Thumbnails
Which would you choose? A winter in Miami or a winter in L.A. WITHOUT central heating?-mv.jpg  

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 12-29-2014 at 01:22 AM..

Old 12-29-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I just went to www.myforecast.com and typed in Los Angeles so not sure which microclimate it is in but it calls for 2 nights of subfreezing temperatures plus 2 more nights pretty close to freezing.
wtf is myforecast.com????

stick to NOAA, TWC or wunderground please

Old 12-29-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
your thread got locked before i could see it so...

listen here please, im getting really annoyed with all this BS going on.

ive been posting 100% factual data on here, and nothing but that yet i get tons of sh*t for it, how is this possible.

if you think im lying about some specific characteristic of LA's climate i will happily prove it, im being honest here, because to tell you the truth this is getting really annoying, all this bashing of me.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:17 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,775,010 times
Quote:
Accuweather does not call for any lows below 37!?!

Old 12-29-2014, 04:37 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
your thread got locked before i could see it so...

listen here please, im getting really annoyed with all this BS going on.

ive been posting 100% factual data on here, and nothing but that yet i get tons of sh*t for it, how is this possible.

if you think im lying about some specific characteristic of LA's climate i will happily prove it, im being honest here, because to tell you the truth this is getting really annoying, all this bashing of me.
No--what's really get annoying is the fact that you keep making up your own data based off of your trips to Bubba Gump Restaurant on the SaMo pier and using above-average weather to somehow claim that LA is a tropical paradise in winter. Everyone here knows that this is simply not true. I have provided data, and so has ABrandNewWorld that is factual. I have used the myforecast website before, and it's well-known. Just because you don't use it or haven't heard of it doesn't mean that it's false.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:06 PM

^^Well, Honolulu is the warmest big city in the US, actually. But Miami is a close second.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:13 PM

371 posts, read 816,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthemove4 View Post
I have to agree with above 1000%

I've read these same threads by LA-Mex....they all seem to try to do the same thing: Twist the data so LA looks like it as warm or warmer than Miami. Anyone who knows anything about climate knows this is just wishful thinking. Miami is warm all year and a daytime high below even 70 F is uncommon. LA can and does have many days in winter when the highs are in the low 60's F, even in the 50's F. You just can't compare the two - Miami is the warmest big city in the USA. End of story.
Personally, I don't know why anyone would want to try and shoehorn LA's climate into something resembling Miami's. I'm guessing the vast majority of people in this country would prefer LA's climate over Miami's -- myself included. Yes, it's nice to have those warm winter days and nights, but there is hell to pay for that privilege, in the form of 4-6 months of ugly summer weather. In the grand scheme of things, LA has a pretty darn nice winter. I'm in a t-shirt most days, and rarely need more than a sweatshirt at night. And what do we pay for those pleasant winters...? An almost perfect summer (at least at the coast, where I am). I'd much rather have a 68 degree winter, with a dry, pleasant summer; than a 76 degree winter, with a hellish summer.

Generally speaking, the human body prefers dry, moderate weather over hot and humid weather -- and LA has a lot more dry, moderate weather. I wouldn't want to change that.

So, to the extent anyone is trying to make us look like a tropical paradise, I don't get it. I lived in the tropics for 2 years (a small South Pacific island). and I was really glad to get back home. Yes, its nice to be in shorts and flip-flops 24/7/365, but that also meant a lot of rain and sticky humidity. No thanks. The human body is simply more comfortable when it is 74 degrees and dry.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:26 PM

That is true, but if you think about it, humans are a tropical species (originating in Africa), and tropical climates are better in a number of ways--more rainfall is better than the constant drought of CA or other dry desert-like regions. A dry 80F may be more pleasant than a humid 90F one, but at the end of the day, water is a necessity, and dry heat is actually more dangerous (dry heat like Phoenix, not like San Diego) than humid heat.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
No--what's really get annoying is the fact that you keep making up your own data based off of your trips to Bubba Gump Restaurant on the SaMo pier and using above-average weather to somehow claim that LA is a tropical paradise in winter. Everyone here knows that this is simply not true. I have provided data, and so has ABrandNewWorld that is factual. I have used the myforecast website before, and it's well-known. Just because you don't use it or haven't heard of it doesn't mean that it's false.
its true.

I used NOAA, did i not? that is as factual as you can get.

I have NEVER claimed LA to be tropical, and especially not in winter, what im arguing, is 70 F+ winter average highs in parts of LA, its 1000% correct. i have nowhere in hundreds of my posts argued LA is tropical. You'l never hear me arguing that LA is tropical.

ARGUE ME THAT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather