Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2014, 12:46 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,418 times

Advertisements

Even though humidity is an important factor in "real feel" temperature (for hot not cold weather), how come nobody ever considers sunlight? Somewhere like Vegas is not humid but the sun is relentlessly bright and hot. Somewhere like Atlanta is definitely more humid than Vegas but experiences more cloud cover in the summer, so the sun isn't necessarily beating down on you all the time.

Humidity also makes little to no difference in "real feel" temperature in cold weather - things like wet precipitation and wind however do make cold feel colder, and sunshine makes cold more tolerable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 03:21 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,947,993 times
Except, when you're in shade in a hot Las Vegas days it would still feel much better than in the shade of a humid hot place like Atlanta.

Sure, the sun might feel worse in hot deserts, but the hot moist air would still feel relentless in a humid place.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:41 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,456,375 times
I could be wrong, but I think that it's because humidity is an intrinsic property of the air, whereas sunlight is not. Note that the quantities reported by weather stations (temp, humidity, dew point, heat index, etc) all somehow relate to the molecular properties of the air (wind chill is a bit iffy), and sunlight has no direct relation to the these properties (i.e, the air molecules have the same intrinsic properties whether they are in the shade or under a beaming sun).

I agree that the sun inflates the "real feel" of the air temperature, but this is because the sun heats the molecules on your skin - it has nothing to do with the air molecules themselves.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:48 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Isn't humidity (actually dewpoint) more easily quantifiable compared to sunlight? Does a measurement of lumens equate to how sunlight "feels"?

Old 12-15-2014, 01:57 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,288,333 times
you can hide from the sun while you can't really hide from humidity.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:00 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Isn't humidity (actually dewpoint) more easily quantifiable compared to sunlight? Does a measurement of lumens equate to how sunlight "feels"?
You can use % of cloud cover during the hot months.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:55 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Actually, I think people tend to be ignorant of sunlight. How often have I seen people jogging in the heat of summer wearing BLACK! I use the color of clothing to my advantage whenever possible because sunlight can have a huge impact.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:04 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,915,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Even though humidity is an important factor in "real feel" temperature (for hot not cold weather), how come nobody ever considers sunlight? Somewhere like Vegas is not humid but the sun is relentlessly bright and hot. Somewhere like Atlanta is definitely more humid than Vegas but experiences more cloud cover in the summer, so the sun isn't necessarily beating down on you all the time.

Humidity also makes little to no difference in "real feel" temperature in cold weather - things like wet precipitation and wind however do make cold feel colder, and sunshine makes cold more tolerable.
Because in Las Vegas, you can take an umbrella and problem solved!

Old 12-15-2014, 11:08 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,655,807 times
people here in indonesia (tropics) says sunny = hot and cloudy isn't hot. low 20s C / 70s F heat index with full sun can feel hotter for most residents than 30s C heat index (90s F) with cloudy.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:15 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Actually, I think people tend to be ignorant of sunlight. How often have I seen people jogging in the heat of summer wearing BLACK! I use the color of clothing to my advantage whenever possible because sunlight can have a huge impact.
Actually, you would think so but they found that even full length burkas in black can be as comfortable as white ones. The reasons are not obvious though at first glance. The reason why is the black gets warmer quicker and creates faster air currents, whereas the white doesn't cause the ventilation to occur.

Weird factoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather