Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate your home climate?
A 9 12.86%
B 19 27.14%
C 29 41.43%
D 6 8.57%
F 7 10.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 11:50 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times

Advertisements

A-

I live in Henderson, NV, a suburb of Las Vegas, and the weather was the main factor for my move. I LOVE 100+ temps, and dislike any type of precipitation and humidity. This year, in my particular neighborhood (the valley has very different weather patterns), it has rained just about 3".

The only reason for the "minus" on the A, is it gets too chilly at night in the Winter. When it drops below 50, there is a definite chill in the air due to the single digit humidity. But, fortunately, we'll hit 100 again by April/May.

Plus, we have well over 300 days a year of full sun. Overcast tends to make one gloomy, so I find that temperaments are better out here than from where I moved in New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 03:57 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
This seems to be the trend for much of the continental US, east of the Rockies and north of the Deep South. It's great for fans of extreme weather, who are "bored" when daily highs/lows track the seasonal normals closely - and this seems to be the prevailing opinion on this sub-Forum.

Our statistically "normal" January lows are cold, but not brutal; call it moderately unpleasant, but tolerable. But when the temperature sporadically drops another 25 degrees, suddenly it's an entirely different winter. Road-cleaning crews can't keep up, cars start only hesitantly, home heating systems are strained, power-grids are strained, and there's a substantial hit to economic activity, be it shoppers heading to stores or outdoor construction work or delivery of goods.

So if the actuals followed the normals, I'd promote our local climate by at least one letter-grade.

The winter instability bothers me the most about the climate here. I wish that our winters were as stable as our summers. Summer temps don't vary nearly as much from the averages, while winter temps can vary by 20-30F in an extreme winter. Yes it can happen elsewhere like places in Europe or Argentina, but less often as here imo.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:17 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,457,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
The winter instability bothers me the most about the climate here. I wish that our winters were as stable as our summers. Summer temps don't vary nearly as much from the averages, while winter temps can vary by 20-30F in an extreme winter. Yes it can happen elsewhere like places in Europe or Argentina, but less often as here imo.
Our east coast winter temps can vary by even more than 20-30 degrees F. Sometimes they can jump or fall by 50 degrees even. I remember in January 2014 at my local airport (KISP), we had the following trend:

Jan 4: low of 0 F
Jan 6: high of 55 F
Jan 7 & 8: low of 7 F
Jan 11: high of 58 F
Weather History for Islip, NY | Weather Underground

The most annoying part about these wild swings is that when there's water or snow, it freezes or melts and causes all kinds of traffic delays and havoc on the roads. That's why I'd much rather live in Winnipeg or Minneapolis or Fargo; the temps are so well below freezing for most of the winter that even when these kind of swings occur, one probably doesn't even have to worry about melting and refreezing water.

Last edited by Shalop; 12-20-2014 at 04:36 PM..

Old 12-20-2014, 06:11 PM

341 posts, read 341,347 times
D.
Too cold in winter, a bit too cold in summer, too gloomy, too low humidity in summer, a bit more rain and t-storms would be also nice.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:50 PM

492 posts, read 1,041,693 times
C.
Year-round relatively mild temps, with summers that would be perfect if there would be more (or some years, any) thunderstorms. Depressing overcast and drizzle for much of the year, somewhat improved last year and so far this year.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:20 PM

578 posts, read 591,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop View Post
C.
Year-round relatively mild temps, with summers that would be perfect if there would be more (or some years, any) thunderstorms. Depressing overcast and drizzle for much of the year, somewhat improved last year and so far this year.
Looking at the averages only about four months of the year in Seattle really seem that gloomy, and the sunshine in mid-summer seems very high.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:57 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
C- or D; Dayton, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (not exactly my city, but the closest city to my rural locale).

Summer-to-winter temperature variations are too high; I dislike hot summers or cold winters. Transitional seasons, which I prefer, are too short and too wet. Winter brings considerable variability, with bursts of frigid air swooping down from Canada. Tornadoes are not impossible, and remnants of Gulf of Mexico hurricanes occasionally reach here (Hurricane Ike was a notable example). Overall it's too humid and too windy.
Damn it pisses me off when people who live in absolutely perfect A+ climates say they hate it!

Old 12-21-2014, 01:07 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
Linton on Ouse climate information - Met Office

Church Fenton climate information - Met Office

My 2 closest stations. Linton is 13 miles away, and Church Fenton is around 15 miles.
Anyway, I rate my climate an F. It's just not warm or sunny enough in every single month. The last two July's have been decent, but that's certainly not a guarantee each year.
I guess positives would be that it's fairly dry here, with not too many rainy days.
I also live in one of the most beautiful cities in the country, so that makes up for the climate.

If everything goes to plan, I'll retire in my mid 40's and move abroad somewhere nice and warm. Depends on child/children etc.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:20 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Linton on Ouse climate information - Met Office

Church Fenton climate information - Met Office

My 2 closest stations. Linton is 13 miles away, and Church Fenton is around 15 miles.
Anyway, I rate my climate an F. It's just not warm or sunny enough in every single month. The last two July's have been decent, but that's certainly not a guarantee each year.
I guess positives would be that it's fairly dry here, with not too many rainy days.
I also live in one of the most beautiful cities in the country, so that makes up for the climate.

If everything goes to plan, I'll retire in my mid 40's and move abroad somewhere nice and warm. Depends on child/children etc.
I find it odd that March is like 10C warmer than here, but then in April-June it just stops. A normal April there would be a warm here, but nevertheless possible. And reversed in autumn. Our September was 0.3C cooler in highs this year, but those Oct-Nov would be the warmest on record. And Church Fenton gets 120 mm less rain than here. So much for the stereotype. And the sunshine is actually higher than I expected.

But you're right. It is crap.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:28 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I find it odd that March is like 10C warmer than here, but then in April-June it just stops. A normal April there would be a warm here, but nevertheless possible. And reversed in autumn. Our September was 0.3C cooler in highs this year, but those Oct-Nov would be the warmest on record. And Church Fenton gets 120 mm less rain than here. So much for the stereotype. And the sunshine is actually higher than I expected.

But you're right. It is crap.
If we had your summer temperatures and sunshine, then I reckon it'd be just about the best all round climate in the country.
It could be worse though. It's certainly not as bad as people think when they imagine northern England. I lived near Yeovil, which is about 250 miles south west of here, and if anything it's better here. Similar temperatures, but much less rainfall.
We have more in common with the south east, than the south west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather