Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 06:06 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,690,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Wow, 68F for swimming? No thanks. I would say a minimum avg high of 80F(26.7C). Around here that is three months, and with Sept avg high of 78F (25.6C) almost four.
Well I'm pretty passionate about swimming and so that has something to do with it. I tend to swim in conditions that other people may feel uncomfortable with. Also, just to be clear it's only the air temp over 20C that I'd need. The water itself should be heated to 27-28C at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 09:37 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,172,756 times
High above 80 F with a nighttime low above 55 F: about 4-5 months here (we do get a few days above 80 F occasionally in winter but the nights tend to be in the 40s which prevents the pool from warming the way it does in summer)

Old 12-21-2014, 09:56 AM

2,714 posts, read 3,042,310 times
There are also some houses here which have outdoor pools, even though you can only expect pool weather between the months of May to September and even then no more than about 3-4 weeks. Cold tolerant people might use it more often though and i know some people who start their day with a refreshing dip into the pool in early summer mornings even though it will be mostly only about 10-15°C outside at this hour.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:59 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,172,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Well I'm pretty passionate about swimming and so that has something to do with it. I tend to swim in conditions that other people may feel uncomfortable with. Also, just to be clear it's only the air temp over 20C that I'd need. The water itself should be heated to 27-28C at least.
Wouldn't they have a lot of indoor heating pools there? In San Francisco, that's the ONLY way to learn to swim. Even though the climate is close to frostproof, they don't get any swimming months and maybe 3 or 4 swimming days in the average year.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:28 AM

13,479 posts, read 9,019,788 times
A few houses in the Portsmouth area have outside pools, people that live across the road from my Mum have one & Portsmouth has a large public outside pool too open during the summer holidays...

As long as the pool is heated & it isn't cold outside, I don't really see the problem? No you are not going to use it year round in the UK, but there are enough warm days where you could use it, it doesn't have to be +35C just to have a swim in a heated pool lol...

Here's the outdoor pool in Portsmouth, Hilsea Lido:

House in Southsea with outdoor pool:

Old 12-21-2014, 11:20 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,918,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
It would also depend on summer minimums too, as cool nights can make the pool cold for longer periods. Eg my in-laws live in the Upper Hunter, hot in summer, but nights still cool well into November, and drop off again in late March -so can only use for a few months of the year unless you heat the pool.
Summer highs where I live are close to 30C anyway (a bit inland from coast), a pool definitely on the cards if I could afford it.

Night time low temps can quickly cool down pool water. If night temps are consistently in the upper 50'sF to low 60'sF,(14C-17C) pool water temp here will quickly drop to uncomfortable levels unless heated.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:20 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,580,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichle View Post
Cooler summers? Looks about the same or warmer than almost everywhere in Britain.
Yea, Portsmouth inland is around about the same as Christchurch maybe... But look at the London area and much of the south-east, your looking at temps around 23, 24 degrees in July and August (equal to Jan and Feb in NZ of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
A few houses in the Portsmouth area have outside pools, people that live across the road from my Mum have one & Portsmouth has a large public outside pool too open during the summer holidays...

As long as the pool is heated & it isn't cold outside, I don't really see the problem? No you are not going to use it year round in the UK, but there are enough warm days where you could use it, it doesn't have to be +35C just to have a swim in a heated pool lol...

Here's the outdoor pool in Portsmouth, Hilsea Lido:

House in Southsea with outdoor pool:
A lot of people have got pools up in Waterlooville to. When I was a kid I knew at least 2 people who had one... one of them had a proper big one to!
But, for swimming I wouldn't say it's to bad here, quite sunny weather in the summer and a 22C high to a 15 low isn't to bad when one thinks about it - and we get like a good few hot days to! I remember 2003 when it was in the high 30s - the water was actually hot! Haha

Old 12-22-2014, 04:33 AM

104 posts, read 110,476 times
Went swimming last night, it was 12C and the pool was still 25C from solar heating in the day. It was pretty nice.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:25 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,790,340 times
We have public outdoor pools and they are very crowded in summer.

https://www.google.fi/maps/place/Sam...c7b0d4f2909e55

That one was open from 15 May to 5 September, and attracts 120,000 swimmers every season.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:40 PM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Pools are extremely popular where I live. The province of Quebec has about half of Canada's residential swimming pools but barely one quarter of the country's population. Quebec also isn't the warmest part of the country in the summer.

Here is an aerial view of my neighbourhood. Close to half or more of the houses have pools. This is totally typical of southern Quebec.

http://goo.gl/maps/8e2Aw

In southern Quebec the mid-summer maximums are around 27-28C often with high humidity which makes it feel above 30C almost every single day.

We use our pool from around May 10 until mid to late September. Some years we can get a few swimming days in during the first part of October as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather