Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2017, 11:41 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,922,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I thought you didn't like Nice's climate?
That's why I thought he was joking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 11:43 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Yeah, that what gets me. Summers throughout those parts often seem very pleasant, but once the cool down begins, the drop is rapid, and winter is upon them by the end of October, sometimes sooner.

That would be unusual. I was there around Veterans Day one year and it was very pleasant for sitting outside at a cafe. More like mid to end of November if you ask me. Around here it is usually late November when we can get our first real cold shot of winter. It is not common, but does happen. It is usually in December the first real cold shot comes, but recently December is turning out be a warmer and warmer month. March otoh is getting worse and worse.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:45 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I have double glazing & I don't live in a 3rd world flat

But like most Mediterranean countries we have no central heating here & homes are designed to stay cool, so inside can feel cold in the winter, but nothing a heater won't fix
But still you complain how humid and cold it is inside.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
That would be unusual. I was there around Veterans Day one year and it was very pleasant for sitting outside at a cafe. More like mid to end of November if you ask me. Around here it is usually late November when we can get our first real cold shot of winter. It is not common, but does happen. It is usually in December the first real cold shot comes, but recently December is turning out be a warmer and warmer month. March otoh is getting worse and worse.
I edited, I thought you were talking about Scandinavia.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:53 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Chicago's winters are quite horrible, but it has good summers. I think my climate is my absolute limit for cold, I couldn't see myself living somewhere noticeably colder in the winter.
Same. I can't handle living anywhere colder than New York. NYC is probably the absolute maximum for me

Old 03-23-2017, 11:56 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
That's why I thought he was joking
I was talking about Paris. Nice's not a couple hundred miles away.

No, in all seriousness, the three cities have rather mediocre climates, but could be much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan93 View Post
Out of cities with over 5,000,000 people yes it's the worst IMO.
Wow that's harsh. Scrolling down the list of largest metros, the biggest one that I find worse than London would be Jakarta, and there are many more larger cities than London with worse climates to my tastes.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:56 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,024,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
But still you complain how humid and cold it is inside.
Not that often & it is usually only like that for a matter of weeks... Besides that's quite irrelevant to not liking a continental style climate, if you spent the whole time indoors with heating in the winter & air con in the summer then you wouldn't experience the huge swings in temperature outside would you...

Old 03-23-2017, 12:03 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,540,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
I also forgot Kiev, Stockholm, Oslo, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Warsaw, Dublin and St Petersburg that all are worse than London by far
Quoting an old post because I haven't kept up, but I'd take Kiev over London I think. Its summers are way better and longer, and their winters aren't THAT cold. Also, it's significantly sunnier, and if the sunshine data was 1981-2010, it could be close to 2000h

It's even tempting to put Stockholm up there with London because of the significantly higher sunshine.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:04 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Not that often & it is usually only like that for a matter of weeks... Besides that's quite irrelevant to not liking a continental style climate, if you spent the whole time indoors with heating in the winter & air con in the summer then you wouldn't experience the huge swings in temperature outside would you...

You don't have to like a continental-style climate, but neither can you define them with an experience where winter means ridiculous inside 3rd world temperatures (in England) and Heathrow going bonkers when 1 cm of snow falls. Or an experience when you felt cold on the Solent on one November day.

Have you ever experienced -20C properly clothed and then going back inside for a cup of tea in 22C? No? Well, then you're an amateur and cannot possibly have any knowledge about -20C. Putting your hand in the freezer doesn't count.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Quoting an old post because I haven't kept up, but I'd take Kiev over London I think. Its summers are way better and longer, and their winters aren't THAT cold. Also, it's significantly sunnier, and if the sunshine data was 1981-2010, it could be close to 2000h

It's even tempting to put Stockholm up there with London because of the significantly higher sunshine.
I've always got the impression that you're a serious cold hater?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather