Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 06:25 AM

14,813 posts, read 11,912,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Most people would consider partly cloudy and 24c 'warm'. Maybe the lower end of warm (23-29c), but still warm.

Even dhdh, who hated the London climate before he arrived, now admits it is nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be, and the summers are actually alright.
That's probably because before he actually came to live in London he probably based his opinions on the aforementioned stereotypical nonsense that London will NEVER shake off. Summer in London is really rather pleasant, the worst thing about London weather is the low winter sun angle which means the winters can be a bit dull but hey at least they're not dull and bloody freezing like other North European capitals! And what people fail to realise is its the low sun in the winter that holds back the yearly sunshine totals in London and that the Spring, Summer and Autumn months are NO WHERE NEAR as sunless as people try to make out. Like I said its people that don't actually live here or people that have only ever spent one wet weekend here that come out with all that 'constantly cloudy and drizzly' bollox DHDH summed up his year long London weather report rather nicely and was spot on, that's what actually living somewhere will do to peoples misconceptions or misunderstandings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 06:30 AM

29,413 posts, read 19,499,868 times
^^

I base my opinion on the averages, and what I am accustomed to. I was there for only a week in June of 2000, but I don't base my opinion on such a short stay. I used to have tenants from London who lived in a condo that I owned on Michigan Ave right on the lake front back in 2005-2008... They told be that their summers are much "colder" than Chicago's. That's what they said to me. Of course they also said that they never experienced such cold winter before either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I'd say that threshold is a bit too low even for us, 90°F / 32°C is only a few degrees above average. July 2010 had an average high of 91°F / 33°C.

I think 95°F / 35°C would be more appropriate.
The Chicago office basically scrapped the 3 days of 90F+ threshold back in 1995. Now they issue heat warning based on heat indecies

Quote:

Following the 1995 heat wave the Chicago NWS office and the city of Chicago worked together to develop an impact-based excessive heat criteria specific to the city of Chicago to enhance the warning communication for future events:
Three consecutive days with peak daytime heat indices of 100-105°F with either 85% sunshine or minimum nighttime heat index no less than 75°F for three days
Two consecutive days of heat indices between 105°F and 110°F
One day of heat indices 110°F or higher
20th Anniversary of the Historic July 12-15, 1995 Heat Wave

City of Chicago's highest average max is 92.1F in July 2012. IKK near me is July 1936 at 95.9F

Old 03-24-2017, 06:33 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,682,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
And what people fail to realise is its the low sun in the winter that holds back the yearly sunshine totals in London and that the Spring, Summer and Autumn months are NO WHERE NEAR as sunless as people try to make out.
The Scandinavian capitals have even shorter days and lower sun in winter, but still are sunnier on a yearly scale.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:50 AM

8,161 posts, read 8,699,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
That's probably because before he actually came to live in London he probably based his opinions on the aforementioned stereotypical nonsense that London will NEVER shake off. Summer in London is really rather pleasant, the worst thing about London weather is the low winter sun angle which means the winters can be a bit dull but hey at least they're not dull and bloody freezing like other North European capitals! And what people fail to realise is its the low sun in the winter that holds back the yearly sunshine totals in London and that the Spring, Summer and Autumn months are NO WHERE NEAR as sunless as people try to make out. Like I said its people that don't actually live here or people that have only ever spent one wet weekend here that come out with all that 'constantly cloudy and drizzly' bollox DHDH summed up his year long London weather report rather nicely and was spot on, that's what actually living somewhere will do to peoples misconceptions or misunderstandings.
Dhdh's weather preferences have changed though. He used to find Paris' summers terrible when he lived there IIRC, and Paris is slightly warmer than London.

Shows that even a heat lover can acclimatise to poor summers. J/K

Old 03-24-2017, 06:51 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,901,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The Scandinavian capitals have even shorter days and lower sun in winter, but still are sunnier on a yearly scale.
But what are the overall sunshine percentages? Even if the days were of an equal length throughout the year, there would still be a clear winter cloud bias.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:57 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,901,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
4-5 days above 30c. Summer 1976 had 21 days above 30c.
With 31 days above 25c. Which puts it just within my perfect summer temperature range, which is roughly 25-30. There's a lot of citys with average highs well within that range, but they frequently have days above that, which for me is simply too hot to do the things that I want to do.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:15 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,682,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
But what are the overall sunshine percentages? Even if the days were of an equal length throughout the year, there would still be a clear winter cloud bias.
Higher percentages than London during the high sun period.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:17 AM

26,777 posts, read 37,738,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Moscow? 6 month of winter, much of that being incredibly brutal, and summers that are only slightly better than London's, and even that's debatable.

I don't understand how anyone other than cold weather lovers could place it above London.
Toronto is also over 5 million in its metro (over 6 million in fact) and it has considerably colder and snowier winters than London. If that's someone's criteria.

But Toronto has much nicer summers than London.

British people who move to Toronto and southern Ontario typically do not complain much about the weather, even if the winters are more harsh there than in the UK.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:21 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,232,015 times
Quote:
Is that from absolute totals; if they have the same sunshine patterns, Scandinivia will end up with higher totals

Old 03-24-2017, 07:26 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,550,613 times
Quote:
Higher percentages than London during the high sun period.
June and July are a bit sunnier in Helsinki, August is the same (that's using our apparently dodgy sun recorder). Interestingly the annual sun percentage at Vantaa is 36.1%, which is lower than London's 38%. South coast locations are around 45%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather