Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate stands a better chance of fruiting coco palms with irrigation?
Los Angeles 5 33.33%
Lima, Peru 10 66.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 12:09 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,012 times

Advertisements

Which climates do you think stands a better chance growing fruiting coco palms with irrigation?
Both climates are way too dry to grow them but in this hypothetical situation, you'd have an unlimited supply of warm water at your fingertips to irrigate them as much as you want for half an hour twice a day but you can't artificially heat them at night.

A) L.A: high sunshine hours year round with warmer summer days (especially inland) but cooler winter nights than Lima. You can also carefully choose which microclimate within the city that you want to plant those cocos.

Climate of the Los Angeles Basin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

B) Lima: Very low sunshine hours in winter but with much warmer nights than L.A. that consistently stay above 55 F for the entire winter most years and are completely immune from dropping below 45 F ever.

Lima - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 01-17-2015 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 12:17 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
A tricky one, but I'm guessing Lima, but those low sunshine hours will be a major impediment.

LA will always be more prone to the combination of wet and cold, which is an even bigger impediment.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:18 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,558,274 times
Definitely Lima. Average winter temperature and extent of record lows is far more significant than how warm summers are.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
Definitely Lima. Average winter temperature and extent of record lows is far more significant than how warm summers are.
I would agree about the overnight lows and also voted for Lima. However, what about the lack of winter sunshine? L.A's winters have about 70 percent of possible sunshine because its usually sunny or mostly sunny on days it doesn't rain. Lima only has about 10-15 percent of possible sunshine during the cloudiest winter months.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:44 PM

Enough UV radiation and or sunlight will still penetrate the cloud cover/fog for palm tree growth. They grow just fine in climates with very cloudy summers or winters too. Just look at Quibdó:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quibdó#Climate

Old 01-17-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
Enough UV radiation and or sunlight will still penetrate the cloud cover/fog for palm tree growth. They grow just fine in climates with very cloudy summers or winters too. Just look at Quibdó:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quibdó#Climate
But Quibdo's temperatures are much higher under the cloud cover.
90 F and cloudy with high humidity feels hot and sticky
60 F and cloudy with high humidity feels damp and chilly making it feel cooler than it actually is.
Coco Palms love hot and sticky. Not so much cloudy, chilly and damp.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:48 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,623 times
I would say that LA has a better chance as we get much more daytime warmth than Lima year round. Our only negative for coco growth is our winter lows in the 40s outside the coastal areas, but considering we have unlimited warm water at our disposal, I would dot (or drop, I'm not sure) irrigate the palms all night from December till February and our "cold" winter nights won't be a problem.

Lima on the other side has warm lows in their winter that don't require anymore warming for cocos, but limas daytime highs are too low, 1/2 of the Los Angeles Area yearly average high is the same or higher than Lima's warmest average monthly high (79F in feb).

Old 01-17-2015, 05:59 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
I would say that LA has a better chance as we get much more daytime warmth than Lima year round. Our only negative for coco growth is our winter lows in the 40s outside the coastal areas, but considering we have unlimited warm water at our disposal, I would dot (or drop, I'm not sure) irrigate the palms all night from December till February and our "cold" winter nights won't be a problem.

Lima on the other side has warm lows in their winter that don't require anymore warming for cocos, but limas daytime highs are too low, 1/2 of the Los Angeles Area yearly average high is the same or higher than Lima's warmest average monthly high (79F in feb).
I think it's the cold nights combined with wet conditions that are the biggest problem for coconut palms in LA. The Newport palm has probably only survived because of the extreme microclimate created by the building and sidewalk.

Lima wouldn't have the same issues with cold, wet weather causing decline.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:12 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Lima due to warmer winter nights.. at 12° latitude, any sunshine and UV that you would get in the winter would be way stronger than LA's I think even if it is much cloudier overall.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Lima due to warmer winter nights.. at 12° latitude, any sunshine and UV that you would get in the winter would be way stronger than LA's I think even if it is much cloudier overall.
Exactly.

Lima gets quite a bit of sunshine in summer anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather