Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 11:32 PM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
Unfortunately, my climate. Never seen anyone rate it an A.
I believe people in the UK would, if they want milder or warmer oceanic climates.

I remember a user here giving it an A-. Forgot who or where he was from....

Last edited by Ethereal; 02-06-2015 at 11:44 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 08:08 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,802,779 times
Prince Edward Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-07-2015, 10:18 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,173,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Actually I'd give that an A-. Summers a bit on the warm side but totally doable with A/C
Those summer overnight minimums imply a much higher dew point than the deserts of the American southwest. Heat indexes may be off the charts! Parts of inland L.A. exceed temperatures of 110 F during heat waves but relative humidity levels are less than 10 percent, sometimes as low as 2 percent! This means the heat index is around 100 F at the highest. Experiencing a 110 F with even 40 percent humidity would mean a heat index of 136 F! Sorry but I don't think anyone can give an A to any climate that gets heat indexes over 120 F multiple times every summer.

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 02-07-2015 at 11:26 AM..

Old 02-07-2015, 05:04 PM

14 posts, read 10,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
Unfortunately, my climate. Never seen anyone rate it an A.
It's crap for heat lovers and cold lovers. Too much cloud and drizzle aswell and thunderstorms die right in the ass as soon as they reach the outer edge of the radar frame 100% of the time.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:56 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,696,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Those summer overnight minimums imply a much higher dew point than the deserts of the American southwest. Heat indexes may be off the charts! Parts of inland L.A. exceed temperatures of 110 F during heat waves but relative humidity levels are less than 10 percent, sometimes as low as 2 percent! This means the heat index is around 100 F at the highest. Experiencing a 110 F with even 40 percent humidity would mean a heat index of 136 F! Sorry but I don't think anyone can give an A to any climate that gets heat indexes over 120 F multiple times every summer.
Well I'd be trapped indoors during daylight hours in Jizan but at least I'd be able to go out at night in the hottest months and of course I'd need A/C there. It's better than somewhere like Yellowknife where even during the day, I'd be at risk of freezing to death if I stayed out for more than an hour during the winter.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:22 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,173,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Well I'd be trapped indoors during daylight hours in Jizan but at least I'd be able to go out at night in the hottest months and of course I'd need A/C there. It's better than somewhere like Yellowknife where even during the day, I'd be at risk of freezing to death if I stayed out for more than an hour during the winter.
I agree that Jizan is better than Yellowknife and even most oceanic climates but the question is about why you'd give an "A" to a climate that has dangerous heat index levels without the benefit of tropical rain to take the edge off the heat. Bangkok, Singapore, Northern Australia, and even Phoenix have far better climates for heat lovers.

I can't even believe you voted for it over Palm Springs (although that poll is now gone) and wouldn't sacrifice a few frosty winter mornings (followed by warm afternoons) to get much more liveable summer with lower heat indexes and comfortable nights.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:32 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,596,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshie79 View Post
Macquarie Island, where it seems to be constantly 2C and raining. Torshavn isn't bad by comparison.

Personally I would find Chongqing unbearable, but some people seem to prefer it to places that get 3000 hours of sunshine. Can't understand that myself...
I rate Torshavn below Macquarie, and even below Campbell.

Oops - wrong location, I was thinking of the place at the far north of Norway.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:55 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,696,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
I agree that Jizan is better than Yellowknife and even most oceanic climates but the question is about why you'd give an "A" to a climate that has dangerous heat index levels without the benefit of tropical rain to take the edge off the heat. Bangkok, Singapore, Northern Australia, and even Phoenix have far better climates for heat lovers.

I can't even believe you voted for it over Palm Springs (although that poll is now gone) and wouldn't sacrifice a few frosty winter mornings (followed by warm afternoons) to get much more liveable summer with lower heat indexes and comfortable nights.

You are right in that I vote Jizan worse than those other tropical climates. Bangkok and Singapore get an A vs. A- for Jizan due to summers being a bit too hot for me. As I mentioned in the Jizan vs. Palm Springs thread it was very close for me. You seem to have a hard time accepting my preferences. Why is that?

Old 02-08-2015, 06:08 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,201,678 times
This climate is not worthy of an A, for anyone:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chennai#Climate

Old 02-08-2015, 08:26 AM

963 posts, read 854,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
This climate is not worthy of an A, for anyone:

Chennai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For me it's a solid A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather