Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 12:15 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
My wife and I watched a movie about prisoners that escaped from a Russian gulag in Siberia last week, and I told her this morning, as we sat in the house with no power, watching the snow fall that it would be a full sensory experience to watch it again right about now. Especially tonight when it is supposed to dip to zero, or below.
On the Siberia note....

Siberia born female freezes to death while Hiking in New Hampshire Mountains. Temps -30°F below with winds gusting 100mph+
http://nypost.com/2015/02/17/new-york-hiker-freezes-to-death-in-new-hampshire-mountains/

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
For here, GFS is showing very cold temperatures next Tuesday and early March.
Yeah, this one coming down will get to us by end of week then that will spin away back into Canada and another piece again maybe next week. I don't see next weeks being "as cold" as end of this week. We'll see.

--------------------

LET THERE BE LIGHT? GFS shows finally warming past freezing... Or is it just because a storm comes to close here?

Snow, Mix & Rain being shown, but overall temps stay below normal except the days the moisture comes in. Gee...Normalcy for here. lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 12:24 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,969,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Enjoy this next Arctic blast... I seriously doubt we'll see these low/max temps again until next year if anything.

So this will be the last "deepest" cold air we get.

But we won't be done with below normal temps and below freezing temps at all. I still don't see a thaw or warming "period" being shown for around here.

I feel like a broken record saying that for 3 weeks now. Gees.
Well, we're supposed to get a high of 20 and a low of 5 on Thursday. That's basically once a decade cold for winter, and once a generation cold for February. I'll just have to wait and see if it verifies.

As for below freezing temps, we almost always see them with some regularity until late March anyway. I could definitely see Friday as the last below freezing high we see, however.

I just wish this winter had better blocking. It's hard to get snow in the southeast without blocking. I've heard a -AO and a -NAO are very helpful for prolonged cold and snow in the southeast, but the AO and especially the NAO have been mostly positive. However, I seem to recall a +PNA and a weak El Nino being helpful, and we've either had those or been close to having them. I imagine with more blocking this winter could have been a 12"+ winter (for snowfall), instead of just a 1" winter.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:26 PM

361 posts, read 837,025 times
We are expecting the coldest day of the year this thursday in South Florida, it's gonna be very cold with lows in the 30s ... I moved from Canada to escape this lol

Old 02-17-2015, 01:34 PM

Temps rebounded to Tropical 20s F° here...

Current temps, Departures and Surface Map.

Normal is 50s for Gulf States. They are struggling past 30s today,.... and yeah... thats 80s down in Florida. Nuts.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:39 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,772,648 times
Quote:

Normal is 50s for Gulf States. They are struggling past 30s today,.... and yeah... thats 80s down in Florida. Nuts.
Awesome temp gradiant!

South florida progged to drop into the 30s by friday night! so excited!

Old 02-17-2015, 02:00 PM

361 posts, read 837,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
LOL I have some Canadian friends that are coming over on thursday for the weekend to escape the cold ...
I didnt tell them that it's gonna be so cold here, they were expecting to go in the pool ...

Old 02-17-2015, 02:51 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,772,648 times
Good luck with that! LOL

Old 02-17-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Awesome temp gradiant!

Are they really? So was the GFS right from 1-2 weeks ago ? I didn't follow.

3 things to note with latest discussion for this area...

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
348 PM EST TUE FEB 17 2015.

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...
SKY COVER REMAINS A CHALLENGE. HAVE GONE TO MOSTLY CLEAR/PARTLY
CLOUDY AS MOS GUIDANCE HAS WAY OVER PREDICTED CLOUD COVER FROM THE
START.

THUS WITH THE FRESH SNOW COVER, LIGHT WIND AND THE MOSTLY CLEAR
SKIES...TEMPS FALL TO AROUND OR JUST BELOW ZERO INLAND AND SINGLE
DIGITS ELSEWHERE. NYC IN THE MID TEENS. THIS IS BELOW MOS - MOS
THINKS IT`S CLOUDY.

.SHORT TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT/...
MID TO UPPER 20S FOR WEDNESDAY. WAS OPTIMISTIC ON THE CLOUD COVER.

TRUE ARCTIC COLD FRONT SWEEPS ACROSS THE REGION WEDNESDAY EVENING
WITH STRONG CAA IN IT`S WAKE.
HAVE SNOW SHOWERS LIKELY WITH
THIS...BUT ALL INDICATIONS ARE FOR LESS THEN AN INCH. SREF MEAN IS
FOR A FEW HUNDREDS OF LIQUID EQUIVALENT AND WORSE CASE IS STILL
LESS THAN A TENTH. MOST OF THE LIGHT ACCUMULATION COMES WITH THE
FROPA WITH FLURRIES AFTER MIDNIGHT.

LOWS BY MORNING...10-15 ABOVE WITH INCREASING WINDS.

SUB 500 DM 1000-500 HPA THICKNESS ADVERT IN THURSDAY MORNING - CAN`T
RECALL THE LAST TIME I`VE SEEN THAT !

Old 02-17-2015, 02:56 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:

LOL, that Concord, NH of 32F is completely off again. Quality control problems for one of the only "official" recording stations in New Hampshire.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:28 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,275,292 times
The high of 58F forecast for Thursday would be the coolest max this winter, but still much higher than the average annual lowest max - 52F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather