U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:38 PM

305 posts, read 964,848 times
Default Best Weather place in US for Emphysema?

Looking to retire in a mild climate suited for emphysema sufferers.

The West Coast is out. Any ideas on the East Coast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 11:28 AM

13,496 posts, read 24,154,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebopop View Post

I have a family member who has emphysema, too. He lives in Fla, and had a hard time adjusting to breathing when he moved down there, but all seems well in that respect now.

Just what bothers you the most? Is it heat or is it humidity? What is the temp range that you're looking at in order to feel comfy?

Old 01-12-2008, 05:19 PM

Default It's not me ...

Jammie:

It's hubby. Cold weather makes it difficult for him. Long periods of high humidity is worse.

We were looking to stay on the East Coast (we've lived on the West coast ... moved here because we just couldn't afford it out there anymore!).

We're looking at the North Carolina area, but not in high elevations.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:37 AM

13,496 posts, read 24,154,818 times
That's kind of funny cause when I read your post, the Carolinas came to mind. We've been to both states, but didn't travel them extensively. The only thing that I know is that western NC does have higher elevations because of their hills/mountains. But they would have less humidity then nearer the coast. Have you checked out the Raleigh/Durham areas?

Raleigh, North Carolina (NC) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

The site above may be able to give you some ideas of the humidity and temps there. OR maybe the Charlotte area?

Charlotte, North Carolina (NC) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Old 01-13-2008, 09:42 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,836,870 times
Quote:

DO NOT CONSIDER FLA---i have copd---am leaving fla cause breathing due to high humidity is too difficult!

Old 01-13-2008, 02:37 PM

412 posts, read 1,169,865 times
I would say North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virgina maybe Florida as well.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:18 PM

Default Actually, yes ....

Actually, yes ... we are looking at NC. It appears that they have a much milder winter climate in some areas. And although they do have humidity, it's not nearly as bad as Florida, for example. (My son's wedding was in FL. My makeup dripped off my face and this was in MAY!)

It's the severe cold and long periods of high humidity that really affects him badly. I don't know about the altitude situation because frankly, we've not been anywhere in high altitudes. But, it's my understanding that it's not good for him to be over 3,000 feet.

Thanks for your input. I'm definitely going to give a long look at NC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
That's kind of funny cause when I read your post, the Carolinas came to mind. We've been to both states, but didn't travel them extensively. The only thing that I know is that western NC does have higher elevations because of their hills/mountains. But they would have less humidity then nearer the coast. Have you checked out the Raleigh/Durham areas?

Raleigh, North Carolina (NC) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

The site above may be able to give you some ideas of the humidity and temps there. OR maybe the Charlotte area?

Charlotte, North Carolina (NC) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Old 01-16-2008, 01:40 PM

1,198 posts, read 283,353 times
Quote:

Florida, maybe?? Lot's of retirees there and some with illnesses that the weather there seems to ease it a lot better.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:41 PM

1,198 posts, read 283,353 times
Quote:
Actually, yes ... we are looking at NC. It appears that they have a much milder winter climate in some areas. And although they do have humidity, it's not nearly as bad as Florida, for example. (My son's wedding was in FL. My makeup dripped off my face and this was in MAY!)

It's the severe cold and long periods of high humidity that really affects him badly. I don't know about the altitude situation because frankly, we've not been anywhere in high altitudes. But, it's my understanding that it's not good for him to be over 3,000 feet.

Thanks for your input. I'm definitely going to give a long look at NC.
That's why you don't wear hardly any makeup in Florida and keep your hair natural. Nobody hardly wears makeup because of the humidity....Oh! I'm moving there later this year...wooohoooo!!!

Old 01-21-2008, 10:11 PM

3,206 posts, read 8,710,543 times
Charlotte, NC is a great city. Maybe somewhere in TN or VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather