Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 11:32 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Yeah the warm SSTs this year are quite alarming. Even here on the "cooler" East Coast the SST is approaching 89 F. Wouldn't be surprised if we reach about 91 F by the end of August.
Would love to experience that... if only for the novelty. I wonder if that's almost to warm to swim in comfortably? I'd guess 95°F water could be dangerous for swimming; no way to dissipate body heat.

Quote:
Yeah, if a cyclone would develop out there it would be absolutely ridiculous....anything more than Cat 1 would probably quickly become Cat 3+ in no time.
Luckily, El Niño should keep hurricanes away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 11:33 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Ft. Myers gets some amazing storms, I honestly get incredibly jealous of the storms out there.
Please.. the storms I've seen in Miami on YouTube are some of the best out there. We can barely manage a cloud fart.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:33 AM

2,850 posts, read 1,970,576 times
It's currently cloudy and 82 degrees. It feels very pleasant outside.
However, it's supposed to get hotter as the week progresses, reaching 90 (average) by Sunday.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:35 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,847,742 times
Quote:
Yeah the warm SSTs this year are quite alarming. Even here on the "cooler" East Coast the SST is approaching 89 F. Wouldn't be surprised if we reach about 91 F by the end of August.

https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/egof.html

Peterson Key and Johnson Key are above 90 F already, it would be incredible if they reached about 93-94 F. That's near Persian Gulf status.

Yeah, if a cyclone would develop out there it would be absolutely ridiculous....anything more than Cat 1 would probably quickly become Cat 3+ in no time.
Fort Pulaski has been at roughly 86 F/30 C the past few weeks. Not sure what the average is though.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Please.. the storms I've seen in Miami on YouTube are some of the best out there. We can barely manage a cloud fart.
Berlin had one of the more impressive ones I've seen in a long time.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:41 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Would love to experience that... if only for the novelty. I wonder if that's almost to warm to swim in comfortably? I'd guess 95°F water could be dangerous for swimming; no way to dissipate body heat.

Luckily, El Niño should keep hurricanes away.
I've been in water in the upper 80s before (in Ft. Myers, on August 24 of last year) and it felt like a bath tub. I couldn't imagine low 90s or higher.

Yeah, it probably will keep it away. Plus, there's a big ridge of High Pressure in the Gulf of Mexico right now so that's likely to keep cyclones away as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Pfft....we got some good ones time to time but Ft. Myers is more consistent. You should look up some storms in Ft. Myers or in the middle of Florida. They blow ours out of the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Fort Pulaski has been at roughly 86 F/30 C the past few weeks. Not sure what the average is though.
I was trying to look it up, but it skips GA for some reason. Anyway here's a link to some SSTs on the Atlantic Coast. Most places are well past their average warmest water of the year, even though that usually doesn't occur until about 3 weeks from now. Most notably Wilmington, NC. Has a sea temp right now of 89.6 F and the average warmest is 83 F.

https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/satl.html

Old 07-23-2015, 12:08 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,277,039 times
Quote:
Well that was only a factor last week.....most of the summer has been dry due to the Bermuda High being too far west, causing a dry high pressure ridge for the SE coast. We have a high to our west, causing west winds from the Gulf that usually brings more instability and higher DPs....most of the summer our dew points have been upper 60s/low 70s. Over the last few days it's been more like mid-70s..hopefully that means the drought is waning.
Yeah, the "Sahara dust" is some BS the media made up in order to dumb down to population. It would be too much trouble to fully explain the meteorological concept of high pressure and its effect on rainfall.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:10 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Yeah, the "Sahara dust" is some BS the media made up in order to dumb down to population. It would be too much trouble to fully explaining the meteorological concept of high pressure and its effect on rainfall.
That wouldn't surprise me, though the explanation made sense to me.

Though for someone who actually pays attention, it's obvious the HP is what's had us in a drought this summer.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:11 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
Quote:
Pfft....we got some good ones time to time but Ft. Myers is more consistent. You should look up some storms in Ft. Myers or in the middle of Florida. They blow ours out of the water.
Naturally there aren't as many videos with the lower population.

Here's a beautiful one that produced a waterspout. The guy gets very excited, lol.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKDLCGNey3M

Old 07-23-2015, 01:30 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,409,546 times

Oh, give me a break not another strong severe thunderstorms in deep red pinkish zone around my area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather