Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 01:36 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,712 times

Advertisements

Slow and sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 01:42 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
There is a wide variety of cars here. Lots of 4x4 trucks and 4x4 Subaru cars. And theres people driving front wheel drive cars as well. The state and city are usually good at keeping the roads clear. We haven't had a storm in such a long time that required the roads to be closed.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:23 PM

209 posts, read 1,089,487 times
In Iowa, if there is any more than about 4 inches, maybe 3 depending upon the texture or "wetness," of the snow... We have had a surprising number of ICE storms this year, and it sounds like there could be another one on the way for Friday, but if it is icy, I am definitely not going anywhere, especially not on the "hills of Dubuque."

Old 01-22-2008, 11:08 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
Well, it's been snowing here tonight, but so far we haven't really received much. I did get the truck ready to drive to work in the morning if the freeway's open. I'll take a vacation day if it isn't. I usually drive my car, but the truck's a 4x4, so I prefer it for the snow. They are predicting a fair amount of snow tomorrow, as well, so I have to look at the forecast before I decide to head off to work.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:48 AM

17 posts, read 64,514 times
One of the big reasons I moved back to MD from MN was winter driving.... yes, they do a great job of clearing the roads, but if it snows right before or during rush hour forget it.

I lived 30 miles NW of work and many times it would take 2-3 hours either way. I'd finally get home and only to think I have to do it again in the morning-blah-too stressful for me-not a native MN-didn't have to live like that!

Now I live on MD Eastern Shore where I can drive 365 days a year! When it snows or gets icy-most places will shut down!

Old 01-25-2008, 12:09 PM

Well, for the last two days, I haven't had to worry about driving to work in the snow. The freeway (Interstate 5 over the "Grapevine") that I take to work has been closed down for the last two days, so I have just stayed home and taken vacation days. Perhaps next week it will reopen and I'll be able to return to work.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:52 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Well, for the last two days, I haven't had to worry about driving to work in the snow. The freeway (Interstate 5 over the "Grapevine") that I take to work has been closed down for the last two days, so I have just stayed home and taken vacation days. Perhaps next week it will reopen and I'll be able to return to work.
My son and his friends were going to go to Gorman to camp and go dirt bike riding this weekend, despite my dire warnings about the snow. His friend was even going to try to go "around" since the 5 is closed, but then they'd just get stuck on an unplowed road!

It's too bad you have to take a vacation day, though! It's not your fault you can't get to work.

To keep this post on topic, I once lived out in Lancaster (in 1989) and we got a nice snowstorm that February. There was no way I was trying to drive anywhere! Too many hills between where I lived and where I worked, and way too many inexperienced drivers (including me!).

Old 01-25-2008, 01:31 PM

448 posts, read 1,050,068 times
I have been commuting 60 miles to work for the past 12 years. Never been in the ditch. Only time I don't make it is if the highway patrol closes the roads. If I know it is going to be really bad in the morning, I will go the night before and sleep at the hospital where I work. If I work several days in a row, I pack a bag and stay. Just sit back relax and drive careful so you can have time to chuckle at all the people who passed you when you come upon them stuck in the ditch. I drive a Subaru.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
My son and his friends were going to go to Gorman to camp and go dirt bike riding this weekend, despite my dire warnings about the snow. His friend was even going to try to go "around" since the 5 is closed, but then they'd just get stuck on an unplowed road!

It's too bad you have to take a vacation day, though! It's not your fault you can't get to work.

To keep this post on topic, I once lived out in Lancaster (in 1989) and we got a nice snowstorm that February. There was no way I was trying to drive anywhere! Too many hills between where I lived and where I worked, and way too many inexperienced drivers (including me!).
I don't mind taking a vacation day when I stay home, so don't feel bad about it. I do remember that storm in 1989, if the one you're thinking of is the same one that shut down Santa Clarita. Where I was working at the time (in Sylmar), we had about 50 employees, but I was one of only about 10 that made it to work that day. At that time I lived in Tujunga, but most of the others lived in Santa Clarita or places north of there. We had snow at work from that storm, too, but not too much.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:38 PM

27,343 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Ive done it, when we lived in Flagstaff. I had to drive that long, desolate stretch of the 89 and you really DO have to watch for the other guy, one small fishtail move could put him in your lane and there wont be anything you can do about it, except run yourself into where ever your truck takes you when you try to swerve to avoid a head on. But Ive been driving snow, off and on now for years, so its nothing really new to me, most of it is common sense and a matter of SLOW DOWN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather