Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate my Fictional Climate
A 12 19.35%
B 8 12.90%
C 6 9.68%
D 16 25.81%
E 10 16.13%
F 3 4.84%
Z 7 11.29%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 09:20 PM

36 posts, read 102,255 times

Advertisements

Rate this climate? Would this classify as arid btw?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Starstrukcookie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 10:09 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
^^^^^

Looks like a Northern Hemisphere, mid-altitude, high-latitude steppe region. Not "arid", more likely "semi-arid". Your climochart is very similar to Spokane, Washington and Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, both of which under Köppen are either Dsb, (humid continental), or Csb, (warm-summer Mediterranean).

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 01-19-2018 at 10:44 PM..

Old 01-20-2018, 05:01 AM

808 posts, read 710,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabeha View Post
Rate this climate? Would this classify as arid btw?

Those high temperatures are almost EXACTLY (within 2*F every month) the same as my location.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:09 PM

650 posts, read 449,670 times
This is not a Utopia, but I decided to combine two climates together into one, and this is what I got. If anyone can guess the two cities then awesome. One is a Dfa borderline BSk climate and the other is a Dfb climate.
Attached Thumbnails
Rate the Fictional Climate: Climate Utopia and create your own Fictional Climate-capture-9.png  

Old 01-21-2018, 03:36 PM

623 posts, read 674,751 times
I tried to find climates that matched the recent ideal climate posts, using ClimateFinder.com and wikipedia.

Post 347 RegalHawkville (RegalHawk)

The closest cities are probably Nashville and Knoxville, Tennessee, USA. I didn't find any places in Europe or Asia that fit. A few climates had similar temperatures (Ioannina, Greece; Uşak, Turkey, and parts of Japan) but the rain didn't match. The largest difference is that the Tennessee climates have lower record lows and higher humidity.

Post 349 Desert City, AZ (Thunder98)

There's no real-world climate this hot. The closest are extreme deserts, but most deserts don't get summer rain.

Sukkur, Pakistan has the right precipitation pattern but isn't wet or hot enough. Nearby Mohenjo-daro is likely hotter but I can't find climate data besides the record high of 53.5C.
Kuwait City is one of the few places that comes close to the highs and record, but winter's too cold and it's dry. Mitribah is slightly warmer but I can't find any averages. It's got data on Ogimet, last July had many days above 50C. Record high there is 54C!

And then there's a few other places but they're all too dry.
Dallol, Death Valley, Bullhead City.
Bullhead City is the hottest climate I found in Arizona.

Post 353 Dream (Neptunepenguins)

The closest climate in the US is probably Billings, Montana. Precipitation and summer temperatures are similar but winter is mild. There's several climates with similar temperatures but the precipitation patterns don't match. However there are climates like this in Turkey:
Eskişehir, Turkey is almost a perfect match in summer, but winter is too mild.
Erzurum, Turkey is close but cooler than your climate in most months. It's at 6200'/1900m so there might be a warmer version at a lower elevation.
Ağrı, Turkey is another close match with colder winters.
Another similar climate is Oral, Kazahstan (also called Uralsk).

Old 01-21-2018, 04:32 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch41 View Post
Post 349 Desert City, AZ (Thunder98)

There's no real-world climate this hot. The closest are extreme deserts, but most deserts don't get summer rain.

Sukkur, Pakistan has the right precipitation pattern but isn't wet or hot enough. Nearby Mohenjo-daro is likely hotter but I can't find climate data besides the record high of 53.5C.
Kuwait City is one of the few places that comes close to the highs and record, but winter's too cold and it's dry. Mitribah is slightly warmer but I can't find any averages. It's got data on Ogimet, last July had many days above 50C. Record high there is 54C!

And then there's a few other places but they're all too dry.
Dallol, Death Valley, Bullhead City.
Bullhead City is the hottest climate I found in Arizona.
For the most part, the entire Colorado River Valley along Arizona's western border is the hottest. It is the lowest elevation on average, and closest to the rain shadow from the tall mountains in Southern California. (All American deserts sit in a rain shadow except for the Chihuahuan Desert, though the rain shadow is more extreme in the Mojave and Coronado deserts in Nevada and California).

The Sonora desert in general gets a monsoon season in August/July and we receive about half of our annual rain in the span of that one month. Phoenix and Tucson especially are prone to flash floods. Bullhead City sits in the Mojave, a different desert, thus doesn't get monsoon seasons quite like we do. Especially since the monsoons come up from the south.

Yuma, AZ has a monsoon season in August. Not as hot as BHC, but close.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:00 PM

623 posts, read 674,751 times
Tali (Jabeha) post 361

The temperature pattern is close to the northeast or midwest USA, but the precipitation matches a mediterranean climate.
Temperatures are very close to Traverse City, Michigan. But it has have wet summers.
Precipitation is a close match to Sequim 2 E, Washington and Heber, Utah. But they are too mild in winter.
There might not be any good matches in North America... Western Canada has some climates that have similar trends, but aren't really that close. Example: Creston, British Columbia

The closest climates I've found are in Turkey.

Erzurum is very close except for summer nights and the rain pattern. Ağrı has warmer summers. Or if you want really warm summers, there's Muş, a very unusual climate.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________

Fictional Climate #364 (Neptunepenguins)

There's definitely climates close to this one, except they get much less snow. I couldn't find an exact summer or winter match. Summers match up well with places in eastern europe, such as Budapest, Hungary or Dnipro, Ukraine
Winter matches up well with Spokane, Washington except for the snowfall.

For an overall match, here are some close ones
Stavropol, Russia
Győr, Hungary
Debrecen, Hungary
Timișoara, Romania
Chișinău, Moldova
Closest climate in the US is western Michigan, except it's about 50% too wet.
For example, Grand Haven, Holland, Muskegon, Montague

Edit: here's my dream climate

Last edited by Crunch41; 02-01-2018 at 10:14 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 06:33 PM

127 posts, read 111,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch41 View Post
Edit: here's my dream climate
Your climate reminds me of Duluth, MN so much. Check it out.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:38 AM

137 posts, read 81,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theelectricspider39 View Post
E. Too boring, but not lethal.

Here's another climate (it's pretty similar to yours):
I will give it A

Old 08-20-2019, 01:58 AM

137 posts, read 81,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan93 View Post
Here are 4 climates. There is a Cfb climate, an EF climate, a BWh climate, and an Af climate.

Oceanic Land: D

Snowy Island: B

Desert Plateau: A

Rainforest Plateau: Z
I give F for EF and BWh, B for Cfb and A+ for Af
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather