Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 11:28 PM

389 posts, read 586,402 times

Advertisements

So how much snow and heavy frost did Sydney or Melbourne get, considering that they were icy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 04:03 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,555,583 times
I've been in Sydney for a few days now. koyaanisqatsi, sorry buddy but you obviously have a ridiculously low tolerance for cold. Sydney's 19-20°C days are as warm as they sound. I haven't worn anything but short sleeves during the daytime here so far. It feels exactly as one would expect, mid-late May in northwestern Europe, even warmer in direct sunlight due to the very strong sun. Today sitting at a terrace in direct sunlight at 2pm it felt downright summery. Ok the nights are a bit nippy and markedly cooler than the days, but come on, enough with the "icy westerlies", go to any country in Western Europe or anywhere outside the Sun Belt in winter or even spring, you'll understand what icy means

Everyone go home, another guy who argues against solid climatic figures and think his city is special and "unlike what the averages suggest which you won't know because you haven't been there"

Old 09-10-2015, 04:53 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,950,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
So how much snow and heavy frost did Sydney or Melbourne get, considering that they were icy?
Melbourne/Sydney suburbs had a few frosts each, with the city centre of Melbourne also recording one frost. No snow to be seen in any city/suburbs though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Everyone go home, another guy who argues against solid climatic figures and think his city is special and "unlike what the averages suggest which you won't know because you haven't been there"
B-but Melbourne really IS a subarctic craphole with 0 sunshine hours for the whole year! I swear, I live here!!!!!

Old 09-10-2015, 05:17 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,555,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
B-but Melbourne really IS a subarctic craphole with 0 sunshine hours for the whole year! I swear, I live here!!!!!
Better move to Perfffffffffffffffffff and their constant heat

Meanwhile this weekend Bondi Beach will get to a mere 23°C while Penriffffffffffff gets to bake in 28°C heat!

Old 09-10-2015, 07:48 PM

881 posts, read 646,079 times
Getting up to 31C on Sunday! Riverland, South Australia.

Best Melbourne can hope for is 24c before the usual 14C overcast July filth returns. Das crap

Old 09-10-2015, 09:53 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,174 times
Quote:
I've been in Sydney for a few days now. koyaanisqatsi, sorry buddy but you obviously have a ridiculously low tolerance for cold. Sydney's 19-20°C days are as warm as they sound. I haven't worn anything but short sleeves during the daytime here so far. It feels exactly as one would expect, mid-late May in northwestern Europe, even warmer in direct sunlight due to the very strong sun. Today sitting at a terrace in direct sunlight at 2pm it felt downright summery. Ok the nights are a bit nippy and markedly cooler than the days, but come on, enough with the "icy westerlies", go to any country in Western Europe or anywhere outside the Sun Belt in winter or even spring, you'll understand what icy means

Exactly my experience! ����

Old 09-11-2015, 05:51 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,348,788 times
After suffering through more days of terrible icy westerly winds over the past week, conditions improved vastly today with with warmer N/NE winds and looks like continuing until Tuesday next week Sydney Forecast
Will be bloody glad to have a break from that awful icy westerly and tomorrow could be the first time I will not need to don a jacket on whilst venturing outdoors.
Trees have just started to bloom - very slowly that is - and flowers are yet to do so.
Lawns still as green and lush as ever due to nearly 40mm falling during the first few days
Talk of a possible prolonged easterly wet spell from next week (mid) onwards on FB - hope this pulls off

Old 09-11-2015, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
A lot! That icy westerly is horrible.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:11 AM

Quote:

Of course you would find it warm, we "locals" don't. Just because you've been here for a few days doesn't make you a expert
Strong sun - LOL. If you think its strong now - wait until December!
My area is much colder than the city so the city temperature is not representative of my area at all.
I know a lot of Sydneysiders that would totally disagree with you and we have a standing joke - how do we pick out those who don't hail from here - they wear "summer" clothes
Westerlies are icy and a lot of my workmates wear jumpers, along with jackets, scarves and gloves when heading outside to buy lunch/have a smoko and it would take a very hot day for us to take off winter woollies which doesn't last more than a day.

Last edited by koyaanisqatsi1; 09-11-2015 at 06:22 AM..

Old 09-11-2015, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
Melbourne/Sydney suburbs had a few frosts each, with the city centre of Melbourne also recording one frost. No snow to be seen in any city/suburbs though.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather