Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 01:23 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,544,936 times

Advertisements

Actually, looking at 1986, it appears to be Dsb rather than Dfb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 01:32 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,509,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Yes, I looked through the historic data on the Met Office site.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data...athrowdata.txt

The driest summer month must also have less than 30mm precipitation, and I used the driest summer month and wettest winter month, rather than the driest and wettest overall (as some years have driest month in spring and wettest in autumn). A lot of summer months in London get around 20-30mm, though the average is skewed upwards by occasional very thundery/showery months with 90-100mm+ such as August 2004 (average summer rainfall in London is about 45mm per month).

The last Csb year using the strictest definition was 2013 (98.2mm in Dec, 11.6mm in Jun), loosening the definition a bit to include September as a 'summer' month, last year was also Csb (162.4mm in Jan, 10.8mm in Sep). The grass dries up and turns yellow/brown, and the clay soil is as hard as concrete pretty much every summer, it's not always the lush green that people associate with England.
Interesting. Over half of the years here would qualify as Csb under that criteria. Summer rainfall is rather variable though, and summer months with high rainfall are still common enough, that Cfb is the correct classification. Plus, convective cloud buildup, indicates that a semi-pernament subtropical high isn't dominant.

Yes, many people get the wrong impression of many Cfb summers -browned off grass and dry ground are standard, even in wet summers.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,194,339 times
Quote:
London is the largest Cfb city in the world, even though it has 'technically' only been Cfb for 14 of the last 30 years.
Technically that statement is incorrect; a climate classification is based off averages at least a few decades, not a single year. A location can't change climate type in one year, it's the overall decadal average the sets the climate.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:56 AM
B87

It's Cfb because the mostly dry summer months (20-30 mm)are interspersed with occasional very wet months like Aug 04 or July 07 (100mm+), bringing the average rainfall up. I did say it was a Cfb climate.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:12 AM

Quote:
It's Cfb because the mostly dry summer months (20-30 mm)are interspersed with occasional very wet months like Aug 04 or July 07 (100mm+), bringing the average rainfall up. I did say it was a Cfb climate.
I think the nature of the rainfall is more important than just the amount alone.

Does London get semi-permanent high pressure, with rain bearing systems being rare, or does it just get a moderate amount of days, but lacking in bigger totals due to weak systems or lack of orographic effect? - I don't think the latter is indicates a Csb climate

Old 04-21-2015, 06:20 AM
B87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think the nature of the rainfall is more important than just the amount alone.

Does London get semi-permanent high pressure, with rain bearing systems being rare, or does it just get a moderate amount of days, but lacking in bigger totals due to weak systems or lack of orographic effect?
The Azores high affects southern England in the summer.

In a normal summer month it might rain on 4-5 days in a row and then not rain for the rest of the month, save the odd shower or thunderstorm. It's common to go 2-3 weeks without rain. Summer months here average 6-8 wet days (which are moderate to heavy showers lasting up to an hour or so), whereas in winter it's usually 10-15 wet days (but light rain or drizzle is far more common, lasting a few hours at a time).

A Csb is just a Cfb with a dry summer. The amount is all that matters in the Koppen classification, nothing else.

Last edited by B87; 04-21-2015 at 06:34 AM..

Old 04-21-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:

A Csb is just a Cfb with a dry summer. The amount is all that matters in the Koppen classification, nothing else.
I don't think that is right. A Csb summer is fundamentally different, because of the presence of a semi-permanent high pressure zone as a regular feature- something Cfb climates don't have.

I think amounts do matter, when a climate has a low rainfall variation over the year has like London experiences. London has a higher rain day/rainfall ratio in summer than winter, which effectively means rain is heavier in the summer -isn't that the opposite of what true Csb climates experience?

Old 04-21-2015, 06:47 AM
B87

The rain is heavier in the summer, but it occurs much less often. Even Mediterranean climates get thunderstorms with heavy rain in the summer, just a lot less than in autumn or winter (where they can get an entire day of moderate or heavy rain).

London is a Cfb climate, but the thought that rain is frequent in summer is wrong, when most months get around 20-40mm (below 15mm isn't that uncommon). The average is 45mm because occasionally a month like August 2004 (warm, humid, thundery) or July 2007 (jet stream out of place to the south, cool and rainy) comes along.

Last edited by B87; 04-21-2015 at 06:55 AM..

Old 04-21-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
The rain is heavier in the summer, but it occurs much less often. Even Mediterranean climates get thunderstorms with heavy rain in the summer, just a lot less than in autumn or winter (where they can get an entire day of moderate or heavy rain).

London is a Cfb climate, but the thought that rain is frequent in summer is wrong, when most months get around 20-40mm (below 15mm isn't that uncommon). The average is 45mm because occasionally a month like August 2004 or July 2007 comes along.
I agree. London doesn't seem like it would be that rainy in summer, with about the same amount of days as here and with only half the rainfall total.

But consistent summer high pressure is the mark of a Mediterranean climate, and I would think my climate gets more high pressure during summer than London, despite the higher rainfall -so I don't think the amount of rainfall matters at all.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:47 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,194,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
But consistent summer high pressure is the mark of a Mediterranean climate, and I would think my climate gets more high pressure during summer than London, despite the higher rainfall -so I don't think the amount of rainfall matters at all.
As we've discussed, our definition of Mediterranean climate disagrees; I don't think that's the only marker. As for the amount of rainfall mattering at all for Cfb, the definition only has rainfall amount so in a sense it's the only thing that matters. Defining by high pressure can be a problem, as high pressure doesn't always mean the same weather in different regions and seasons, though in oceanic climates there should be some similarities but you're using pressure as part of your definition which is a bit circular. I suspect some European Mediterranean climates do not get constant summer high pressure. Much of California is under a thermal low in the summer:

http://www.cse.unr.edu/~cip/wiki/images/1/15/Fig10_.gif

I think you meant under the influence of an oceanic high pressure system
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather