Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 06:15 AM

824 posts, read 688,707 times

Advertisements

1. Fort Bragg: It's boring, and I don't like the rainfall pattern, but it's the lesser of the evils. C+
2. Bodie: The highs are perfect, but it's a bit dry, and the lows are horrible. C-
3. Pinnacles: The summers are stupidly hot and dry, and the diurnal range is too large. D+
4. Indio: This shouldn't exist. F

My noticed that my opinion is very similar to that of srfoskey, hmm .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 09:10 AM

3,314 posts, read 2,215,794 times
Bodie: F
Pinnacles: F
Fort Brag: F
Indio: F

Old 04-26-2015, 09:21 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Indio B+
Fort Bragg C+
Pinnacles National Park D+
Bodie E
WTF? You rate foggy, chilly Fort Bragg higher than sunny Pinnacles with its warm days most of the year? Pinnacles only gets a light dusting of snow once every 10 years or so and feels warmer than it is in the winter afternoon hours due to calm winds. You wouldn't sacrifice frosty winter mornings for more daytime warmth year round and hot, cloud-free summer days? Fort Bragg feels colder than those temperature implies due to abundant fog and wind and you can go WEEKS without seeing ANY sun (or any temperature above 70 F) in summer.

My ratings:

Indio: B-
Pinnacles: C+
Bodie: F
Fort Bragg: F

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 04-26-2015 at 09:34 AM..

Old 04-26-2015, 09:32 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
WTF? You rate foggy, chilly Fort Bragg higher than sunny Pinnacles with its warm days most of the year? Pinnacles only gets a light dusting of snow once every 5-10 years or so and feels warmer than it is in the winter afternoon hours due to calm winds. You wouldn't sacrifice frosty winter mornings for more daytime warmth year round and hot, cloud-free summer days? Fort Bragg feels colder than those temperature implies due to abundant fog and wind and you can go WEEKS without seeing sun (or any temperature above 70 F) in summer.
I HATE cold mornings. That's what drags Pinnacles and Bodie's grades way down

Old 04-26-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I HATE cold mornings. That's what drags Pinnacles and Bodie's grades way down
The "cold" happens mostly when you're asleep and the temperatures start rebounding nicely shortly after sunrise in the Pinnacles. It's a dry cold so it doesn't feel as uncomfortable as the damp cold of Fort Bragg (or Vancouver).

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 04-26-2015 at 10:14 AM..

Old 04-26-2015, 09:37 AM

5,983 posts, read 4,277,039 times
Appalling that someone would give any of these climates a failing grade.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Try going an entire summer without seeing much sun (yet no rain either) or most daylight hours in the 50s with fog and wind while looking at a frigid ocean with SST in the upper 40s in August.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:41 AM

824 posts, read 688,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
How could Indio not fail? It's horribly hot and dry!

Old 04-26-2015, 12:35 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
The "cold" happens mostly when you're asleep and the temperatures start rebounding nicely shortly after sunrise in the Pinnacles. It's a dry cold so it doesn't feel as uncomfortable as the damp cold of Fort Bragg (or Vancouver).
I don't know about that. I remember going to CA one year in January during a cold snap where I even had to scrape ice off my windshield one morning and it was freezing! In a place like Pinnacles it would be like that almost every winter morning even if it warmed up later in the day. No thanks.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I don't know about that. I remember going to CA one year in January during a cold snap where I even had to scrape ice off my windshield one morning and it was freezing! In a place like Pinnacles it would be like that almost every winter morning even if it warmed up later in the day. No thanks.
I personally find a sunny and calm 30 F (what you'd most likely see most winter mornings in Pinnacles) to have a warmer "real feel" temperature than a foggy and windy 50 F (what you'd likely see on most July late afternoons in Fort Bragg). I'd much rather feel cold on an early winter morning than a mid summer afternoon. The only redeeming quality about Fort Bragg's climate is that you can go about 20 miles inland for much warmer temperatures and sunshine and about 60 miles inland to find some real summer heat (highs in the upper 80s but nights are still in the low 50s and way too cold by summer standards). If I had to live in Fort Bragg without a car or any form of transportation to go inland on weekends, I'd probably choose a place with cold winters like Bodie over it just for the warmth of the afternoon sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather