Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 01:35 PM

430 posts, read 835,017 times

Advertisements

Hi weather folks,

I was recently looking at some climate data for Winchester, for Staunton, and for Charlottesville.

Very surprised to find that while all three towns ("cities" in Virginia) have similar high and low temperatures and dew points in the four seasons, the northern Shenandoah Valley (Winchester) has far less rain than the southern Shenandoah Valley (Staunton, Charlottesville).

Charlottesville isn't technically in the Valley proper, but is a nearby city I am interested in.

Here is the data:

In Winchester, it is 16% (1 in 6 days) likely to rain or snow in January.
In Staunton, it is 26% (1 in 4 days) likely to rain or snow in January.
In Charlottesville, it is 37% (1 in 3 days) likely to rain or snow in January.

In Winchester, it is 22% (1 in 5 days) likely to rain in June.
In Staunton, it is 36% (1 in 3 days) likely to rain in June.
In Charlottesville, it is 47% (1 in 2 days) likely to rain in June.

Ergo, the wettest season in Winchester is drier than the driest season in Staunton.

Are there any geography and climatology buffs who can explain to me why it is so much drier in Winchester and the northern Shenandoah Valley than it is in Staunton, Charlottesville, and the southern Shenandoah Valley?

Also, how is this true while at the same time the dew point is not significantly lower in Winchester? Bizarrely, it remains about the same as Staunton and Charlottesville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 08:15 PM

633 posts, read 661,436 times
hey my knee jerk response would be something to do with the mountains (i guess this is obvious). i didn't bother looking at a map but Winchester is probably positioned farther east and in more of a rain shadow than Staunton is.

Or Staunton in particular has amplified precipitation because of its position on a western side of a mountain?

btw i used to live near the shenandoah valley. its very beautiful. i had a backyard view of the blue ridge mountains.

now i live in the swamp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather