Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 02:24 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Err, there are lowland stations with lower average highs for summer than that. You do know that parts of the Shetlands average about 11c in July?

I appreciate they probably (in a rare case, because lets be honest even Nunavut only sees a few days) can get July snow but overall its probably the same or slightly warmer as they are connected to the warm air in the Gulf. Anyway, I didn't say we were the coldest, just comparing overall.
The Shetlands are Scottish, not British, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 02:26 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
I think the answer is: find the highest point in the North of England and that's it. If you're talking about the UK, change England to Scotland.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:07 PM

865 posts, read 1,076,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
What part of the Shetlands averages 11c for a high in July?

Shetland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to this, the average high is 16 C. Are you talking about monthly means?

Anyways, all I'm saying is don't feel so bad about NI not getting a warm summer. There's plenty of other places that don't either.
I don't know if this has been addressed (I'm not interested in going through all the posts on this thread), but there is probably nowhere in the Shetland Isles with an average July maximum of 16C. Even coastal areas on the Pentland Firth (mainland) do not average that. That Wikipedia article has taken figures from a highly unreliable source.

The actual average maxima in July are 14.3C in Lerwick (14.5C for August) and 15.0C (15.2C for August) in Baltasound. Those are taken from the Met Office website and cover the period of 1981-2010 (so the warmest reliable figures that you can find for the Shetland Isles).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather