Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 03:51 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,274,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkis View Post
It depends on the summer and the place in Greece. We have microclimates. In Athens often blow north winds in a normal summer day so you feel quite comfortable. Only nights in some regions are hell. In heat waves the whole city is a hell. Pireaus, the port of Athens is quite humid and unbearable sometimes. I prefer the heat of our islands in the Aegean. Quite windy, sunny with warm temperatures the whole day and you feel comfortable even if it is humid. In my city Serres winds don 't blow. It is just like an oven. The summer 2011 was a normal summer without extremes fortunately! The next summer 2012 was a hell!
Very true. The coastal areas did get humid- it almost felt like home. I will say, the hottest place I experienced in the midday sun was in Syntagma square with all of the asphault/concrete and traffic. I then packed into an extremely crowded bus and that was easily the hottest I had been while in Greece lol. Yes, 2011 seemed fairly mild. When I was a child, I was in what I remembered to be similar to a desert in the Peloponnese. My uncle turned around and told me that it was 108 degrees in Fahrenheit. I believed him, especially after my sister got sick from the heat shortly after Lol... I will be going back to Greece this summer and will pay close attention to the heat- I'd love to experience a heat wave!

Pallini was the windiest place I've ever been to. Very warm but WINDY during the day.

But yes, good point. Greece may be similar to California with the mountains and varying elevations. Many, many microclimates for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
You were probably just happy to be in Greece. Athens actually has pretty muggy summers. I think a lot of humidity is in people's heads.
Really? Some mornings and evenings I remember being a bit humid, but that's about it. I never felt completely spent from walking around like I would have back in the southeast. I can honestly say the humidity doesn't bother me, but its all subjective. I was happy to be in Greece, but another happy moment was arriving back at the CAE airport and the door opening and stepping out into the warm blanket of humid air that I hadn't experienced fully for 2 months. It took me aback, but I didn't mind it so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 03:54 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
People are conditioned to think that humid is synonymous with heat. You never turn on the news and hear that it's going to be getting cold and humid next week. One day last year in early fall Daytona was having some cooler weather but still pretty muggy, and someone in my family was like "oh it's so nice there's no humidity today".
"Conditioned"? There's a good reason for that, since equal relative humidity values at different temperatures correspond to different levels of absolute humidity. Why would people naturally care much about relative humidity in and of itself? It's the heat that makes higher levels of absolute humidity possible.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:09 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
I have lived in the deep South all my life. Humidity doesn't really bother me. It seems to work with my skin better than dry heat, but hey to each his own. I have visited the Southwest, and while it is nice, it is not for me.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:51 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
"Conditioned"? There's a good reason for that, since equal relative humidity values at different temperatures correspond to different levels of absolute humidity. Why would people naturally care much about relative humidity in and of itself? It's the heat that makes higher levels of absolute humidity possible.
A high relative humidity in cold weather also makes it feel significantly colder.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:54 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan16 View Post
Sweat is the body's way of cooling down, the evaporation of moisture from the body is a cooling process. When the air is dry it evaporates that moisture quicker than saturated air so humid conditions feel warmer the dry conditions. Grew up in Mississippi and now live in the Southwest and definitely prefer the heat here to the heat back East. Really varies person to person though as some people find the moist air more "comforting" or pleasant.
High altitude also helps your sweat evaporate. 100 degrees at 7000 feet doesn't feel anywhere near as hot as 100 degrees at sea level. If you have to be outside for hours, a dry climate will be a lot more comfortable than a humid climate at the same temperature.

A dry climate can be dangerous though. You are not only losing water through your sweat, you lose water with every breath. It can be a challenge to take in enough water to stay hydrated. When I worked outside, I often made my own electrolyte and would chug as much as 2.5 gallons in an 8 hour work day. If I had been working in temps like that in 85% humidity I would have been drowning in my own sweat.

That said, I would never return to the days of no AC.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:01 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
In the winter, the temps get cold, but it is not the bone-chilling cold associated with humidity. A sunny winter day with temps in the 20s feels like a 40 degree day.
Yes, I remember beautiful August mornings in Laramie with frost on the ground, but being comfortable wearing a T-shirt and shorts. Wyoming doesn't really get summer.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:06 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
Lived many years in FL, moved to AZ. Now we are back in FL to stay.

Enough with the dry.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:08 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Lived many years in FL, moved to AZ. Now we are back in FL to stay.

Enough with the dry.
How would you compare your experiences in Florida vs. Arizona (climate-wise)?

Old 05-24-2015, 05:18 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,274,047 times
Quote:
A high relative humidity in cold weather also makes it feel significantly colder.
Yes, it does.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:51 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Can you prove that?

Water droplets will freeze at quite high temperatures (up to about 5-6C/45F) at very low humidity, but at 100% RH, will need about -2C/28F to freeze water droplets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather