Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2015, 03:37 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,277,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
^^ I'll be not from there later next week...lol.

Nice to see how green it is - looks like rainfall hasn't been a problem in that area. I've never been to Windsor, btw, I cross over at Sarnia when I go to Burlington (ON).

Tommy - very nice pics from Mexico - lovely place you're staying in. Did you get to drive on the autostrata any, and if so, how were they?
Thanks. Which roads are you referring to? The cuota roads are fast but expensive, of course. It cost us about 110 pesos to drive from Taxco to Mexico City. The libre roads are slow because of all the trucks.

We visited Grutas de Cacahuamilpa today. Will post some photos later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 03:40 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,408,192 times
^^

Northern France has seemed pretty boring whenever I have driven through it.. there are some nice little towns of course, but a lot of it seems very unappealing to me.. no offence

I was thinking about this, as someone said today at work 'it's summer, why is it raining?' In Europe (Western Europe anyway) summer is associated with being drier, contrary to a lot of the US.. I associate the types of lush green pictures above of Windsor with mid Autumn when we are likely to have had some decent rainfall by then, although leaves would be slightly more colourful by then I guess.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:52 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Hmm summer is slightly wetter than winter here, though there are less rain days. In my experience, such yellow grass, while not rare, isn't the norm. It usually stays greenish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Northern France has seemed pretty boring whenever I have driven through it.. there are some nice little towns of course, but a lot of it seems very unappealing to me.. no offence
Didn't you stay on the highway when crossing it? You must drive on the backroads to experience its sheer awesomeness.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:59 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,408,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Hmm summer is slightly wetter than winter here, though there are less rain days. In my experience, such yellow grass, while not rare, isn't the norm. It usually stays greenish.

Didn't you stay on the highway when crossing it? You must drive on the backroads to experience its [URL="https://www.google.fr/maps/@50.1382754,2.7162426,3a,75y,282.5h,75.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqMn8dYYFPjKTsdOlHcLyPA!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656!6m1!1e1"]sheer awesomeness[/URL].
Yeah, our rainfall is pretty even throughout the year, but fewer rain days in summer.. summer definitely 'feels' drier than winter or Autumn, I guess because rainfall is usually short and sharp, and we can go weeks without rainfall, which isn't as likely in Autumn or Winter..

I have mostly, driving from Dijon to Calais was pretty grim, the Pas de Calais area is pretty barren and doesn't seem great.. but I have visited a few areas in the north.. Rouen was pretty dull, Lille was OK, and I have visited a few other towns in the north that were OK but it just isn't my cup of tea..

When you get south of Paris, you enter real France in my opinion Blois, the rest of the Loire, the Dordogne.. all beautiful! And then you get to the coastal south, which is also stunning, especially the Mediterranean side

Old 08-11-2015, 04:47 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
I've been to Lille, and I liked it a lot. It reminded me of Leeds in some ways - and it looked very similar to Belgian and Dutch cities. The Northern French landscape is rather similar to much of England.

I wouldn't say real France is Paris - we might think that because it's the only French city with significant international exposure, but I feel that you get a better feel of a country when you get away from the major metropolises.

Never been to the French Med, but remember going on a coach trip through France and we went to Lyon and then through the Pyrenees to Barcelona. This was about 15 years ago mind you. We went on a ferry to Calais and then through Paris etc.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Yeah, our rainfall is pretty even throughout the year, but fewer rain days in summer.. summer definitely 'feels' drier than winter or Autumn, I guess because rainfall is usually short and sharp, and we can go weeks without rainfall, which isn't as likely in Autumn or Winter..
We get about the same rainfall and rain days in summer as other season though winter has slightly less totals and early autumn the least rain days. But because of thunderstorms, it's hard to get a long rainless stretch mid-summer. In the cooler months, it'll often be dry and mostly sunny for many days and than a couple days of wet and cloudy weather and back again. Summer just rains some days even if the hours are shorter. Bigger difference is our monthly totals are higher so it's just moister in general. But it's hotter here, and some types of grass without shade won't do well unless it rains frequently. We're about normal, but the last two weeks have been low. Sunday morning:

Some more photos from then:

Spoiler

ugly brick wall:

big cloud later in the day. No rain, cleared up in a few hours

riverside path

==============================

Went for a bike ride on a nearby farm road I hadn't checked out before. Low humidity, don't think it reached even 80°F. Friday afternoon, near the start of the road:

end of road, google maps on my phone showed it continuing but the sign (came out too dark in the photo) says "not a thru way"

turned around, and started heading back. Spotted a local emerging out of the corn field

Comes closer.

Got close to me for a brief sniff, but then kept going. Wasn't that interested.

not if this view is better or worse

Spoiler

spot the garden wildlife

Old 08-11-2015, 07:49 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,277,039 times
Today's photos

Morning light on the cathedral. Sunrise was at 7:20...

A closer view from the zocalo

Just hanging around while we were eating breakfast

At Grutas de Cacahuamilpa, looking down into the canyon where the cave entrance is

Steps going down...

Stalactites...of course we could barely understand a word the tour guide was saying, so we named the cave formations ourselves

A walk through the Jardin Botanico - a bit overgrown but was nice to see the native tree species. Lots of legumes suited to the tropical wet/dry climate. It was hot at this point - about 90 F.

View from our hotel room in downtown Mexico City

Metro station Hidalgo...an hour later this place was packed with people. It was quicker to walk than wait for a train we could squeeze into.

Massive cathedral at the zocalo

Looking down the pedestrian shopping street Calle Francisco I. Madero. It started to pour a couple minutes later. We found shelter in a store while we waited for the thunderstorm to pass.

Palacio de Bellas Artes on the left and Torre Latinoamericana on the right. I think it was raining lightly at this point.

Alameda Central park...the thunderstorm dropped the temperature down to 66 F.

Paseo de la Reforma

Patches of blue sky started to show up

...and almost completely clear by sunset.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:44 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times
^^ Nice pics. Did you go up to the top of that skyscraper? It's not that tall, but does give you a good view of the city.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:29 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Kind of a geeky question, but oh well... Are the trains on the other subway lines in Mexico ity also rubber tyred?

Quote:
I have mostly, driving from Dijon to Calais was pretty grim, the Pas de Calais area is pretty barren and doesn't seem great.. but I have visited a few areas in the north.. Rouen was pretty dull, Lille was OK, and I have visited a few other towns in the north that were OK but it just isn't my cup of tea..

When you get south of Paris, you enter real France in my opinion Blois, the rest of the Loire, the Dordogne.. all beautiful! And then you get to the coastal south, which is also stunning, especially the Mediterranean side
Yeah Rouen is pretty dull for a city of its size. Though I find the old streets that were spared during WW2 very beautiful.

Btw those areas have been part of France for a longer time than Provence and especially Nice county:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/France...1947_small.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I've been to Lille, and I liked it a lot. It reminded me of Leeds in some ways - and it looked very similar to Belgian and Dutch cities. The Northern French landscape is rather similar to much of England.
My mum, who was from Lille, has done a language exchange with a girl from Bradford. Two things stand out in her memory: scant clothing and lamb with mint sauce.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:55 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,685,118 times
Looks Amazing

https://www.facebook.com/Meteopuglia...706556/?type=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather