Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 09:25 PM

5,029 posts, read 4,330,647 times

Advertisements

Tomato plants still look alright after about 2 1/2 weeks of no rain and mostly above normal temperatures. But production has slowed and I'm not getting as much as I did last year at this time.

I'm still getting a lot of cucumbers, but plants aren't looking as healthy.

Okra is doing well.

Sunset tonight

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 04:11 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,543,808 times
A few pics from last night's walk. Time was around 9pm, temperature 20c.

Dried up Hemlock plant.

Thistles dispersing seeds.

Grasses, thistles and dried up hogweed.

Just after sunset with a flock of parakeets flying past.

Yarrow

Heathrow control tower just visible on the left.

Ragwort

What is this?

Cinnabar moth caterpillar.

Teasel

Mosquito just right of the moon.

Couple of aircraft on final.

Emirates cargo 747.

Air Mauritius A340.

Shifty looking tree!

Old 07-23-2015, 04:54 AM

680 posts, read 645,087 times
Couldn't sleep so I figured I'd share some photos from the mountains(okay quality from my phone, they look better on the phone):

A few Aspens in there, should have gotten a photo of them from a certain angle. With the right setting and time of year they can be a very pleasing part of that mountain setting!

That tree though...

Old 07-23-2015, 06:50 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,501,494 times
Okay, here's my pics from my trip to the mountains:

First off, a very happy NorthStarDelight - on the highest point of Georgia, where the temp is a lovely 67 degrees. Yes, I'm loving it.

Taken from inside the museum at the summit visitor's center. We watched a video clip about the mountain as well, its 4 seasons, etc.

When we got to the top, it was completely socked in with clouds - the rangers suggested we hang around for a bit to see if it would break up a bit.

Pretty crappy visibility from the open roof of the visitor's center.

And then, like magic, the clouds began to part.

And we were treated to the view of the valleys a half mile below, from cloud level.

Much improved than just a few moments before.

The parking lot below. And yes, they provided a shuttle service to the summit from there. The cost was included in the $5 admission fee. Yes, us Americans are lazy.

This was the cool part. Standing where you couldn't see the trees, it wasn't hard to imagine you were flying on a magical airship, sailing through the clouds, a half mile above the ground. Pure awesomeness.

What the summit looks like from the parking lot below.

Gonna end this post here, since these are the Georgia pics. Next set will be in the Smokies.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:25 AM

It was a very pretty drive from Brasstown Bald up to the Smokies - the first 2 shots were taken along the way:

Before checking in, we took a side trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway up to Waterrock Knob - about 5800 feet. More cool air, more awesome views from amongst the clouds.

This is what greeted us at the entrance to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park - a herd of elk.

This shot was taken from around 4000 feet.

The start of our hike on the AT. And no, we didn't hike up to Maine. 1972 miles, whew!

After 3.25 miles, this is what greeted us. A cliff dropping off into a white void.

A glimpse of how far down it went - a long, long ways. Good thing I don't have a fear of heights...lol.

Hiking back down, the clouds were breaking up a bit by this point.

A rocky section of trail. As we approached the parking lot, we encountered tourists wearing flip-flops - I don't think they were able to get very far in those...lol.

Getting crowded. The Smokies is quite popular, to say the least.

Once again, great timing - the clouds lifted enough to be able to see off from the summit of mighty Clingman's Dome, one of the highest mountains in eastern North America - at 6644 feet above sea level.

A very popular photo-taking spot. I can remember having my picture taken here when I was a kid.

Looking down the half-mile paved trail up to the summit. No shuttle service here...lol. Pretty steep too, and the thin air left a lot of people winded. A mile and a quarter (2 kilometers) above sea level is nothing to sneeze at.

I just love mid-century modern...lol. If it wasn't for this, there would be no view from the top, due to the trees.

Informational sign, detailing what you can see on a rare clear day. (Spring and fall are best for these.)

Looking out at the clouds.

A half hour before, the visibility was zero - which is often the case up there.

Pretty red flowers.

A thunderhead off in the distance.

And this one's for snj90...LOL. This was taken at a shop in Cherokee, the touristy town just east of the Park entrance.

That's it for the Smokies pics.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:26 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,238,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
A few pics from last night's walk. Time was around 9pm, temperature 20c.

Dried up Hemlock plant.

Thistles dispersing seeds.

Grasses, thistles and dried up hogweed.

Just after sunset with a flock of parakeets flying past.

Yarrow

Heathrow control tower just visible on the left.

Ragwort

What is this?

Cinnabar moth caterpillar.

Teasel

Mosquito just right of the moon.

Couple of aircraft on final.

Emirates cargo 747.

Air Mauritius A340.

Shifty looking tree!
Your landscape looks weird and foreign. Not British

Old 07-23-2015, 07:31 AM

3,574 posts, read 3,788,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
It was a very pretty drive from Brasstown Bald up to the Smokies - the first 2 shots were taken along the way:

Before checking in, we took a side trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway up to Waterrock Knob - about 5800 feet. More cool air, more awesome views from amongst the clouds.

This is what greeted us at the entrance to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park - a herd of elk.

This shot was taken from around 4000 feet.

The start of our hike on the AT. And no, we didn't hike up to Maine. 1972 miles, whew!

After 3.25 miles, this is what greeted us. A cliff dropping off into a white void.

A glimpse of how far down it went - a long, long ways. Good thing I don't have a fear of heights...lol.

Hiking back down, the clouds were breaking up a bit by this point.

A rocky section of trail. As we approached the parking lot, we encountered tourists wearing flip-flops - I don't think they were able to get very far in those...lol.

Getting crowded. The Smokies is quite popular, to say the least.

Once again, great timing - the clouds lifted enough to be able to see off from the summit of mighty Clingman's Dome, one of the highest mountains in eastern North America - at 6644 feet above sea level.

A very popular photo-taking spot. I can remember having my picture taken here when I was a kid.

Looking down the half-mile paved trail up to the summit. No shuttle service here...lol. Pretty steep too, and the thin air left a lot of people winded. A mile and a quarter (2 kilometers) above sea level is nothing to sneeze at.

I just love mid-century modern...lol. If it wasn't for this, there would be no view from the top, due to the trees.

Informational sign, detailing what you can see on a rare clear day. (Spring and fall are best for these.)

Looking out at the clouds.

A half hour before, the visibility was zero - which is often the case up there.

Pretty red flowers.

A thunderhead off in the distance.

And this one's for snj90...LOL. This was taken at a shop in Cherokee, the touristy town just east of the Park entrance.

That's it for the Smokies pics.
very nice landscapes.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:35 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,543,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Your landscape looks weird and foreign. Not British
What's foreign about it? Maybe you're just used to hills and mountains?

Old 07-23-2015, 07:36 AM

5,029 posts, read 4,330,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post

I went to Clingman's Dome 3 years ago. Yep, very nice views. I remember the skies being pretty clear on the summit as well. The temperature was probably about 20F degrees cooler than Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:40 AM

Okay, just a few more to wrap things up:

A lake near Cashiers, where we spent the day helping to set up for an upcoming antique show. The elevation here is 3500 feet, if you can believe it.

A beautiful day at 3700 feet. I'd not mind living in a place like this.

Inside of the school gym where we set up for the antique show. Lots of neat stuff here - and nice people, too.

This is for non-Americans who may not be familiar with how food is closely tied with our educational system. Just look at those prices...lol. It's little wonder students expect to be fed when they get to university - none of this "self catering" crap...lol.

And one last pic:

Last high-elevation view before we came off the mountains. The windows had to be rolled up, and the AC went on as we dropped below 3000 feet. Back to the summer heat of the Georgia Piedmont....sigh. It's always a real let-down when leaving the mountains - not just in a physical sense, but mentally too. But I'll be back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather