Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 01:44 PM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 06:30 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Monday morning at St. Vincent College in Latrobe, PA:

(Photo courtesy of the Pittsburgh Steelers.)

Old 07-28-2015, 08:55 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,442,131 times
Today we went at the Mont Cenis Lake for a short trip, and I took some photos of it.
It is just on the other side of the Italy-France borderline, at less than 10 Km from my home. So during the summer we go there quite often!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Cenis
Altitude: nearly 2050 m = 6 725 ft , so just above the tree line
Today it's a fantastic day there, it is warm (nearly 20°C), not too windy and in practice there aren't clouds (in fact I have the impression that I got a little sunburnt, even if I payed attention on it this time...).

^^It is not so clear in my photo, but on the peak on the right of the picture there is still snow.

^ that lake is mainly an artificial lake, and you can see its dam on the left of the picture.

^ those are some edelweisses. They are not "wild", they are in a garden of alpine flowers. But they are still beautiful.

^ a rock (sedimentary?), covered with lichens.

Then I took some photos also when we were returning back home, so on the Italian side of those mountains.

^ this is the Rocciamelone, the highest mountain that I can see from my home. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocciamelone
It is 3538 m =11608 ft high, while the village that you can see in the bottom of the photo is at an altitude of 800 m = 2 624ft.

And then we visited a little village called "Moncenisio", at an altitude of 1 460 m = 4 790 ft. This place is below the tree line, in fact it is in the middle of a little wood of larches and beeches. There is a little lake also there.

^there are a lot of trouts in that lake.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:26 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times

Spoiler

Old 07-28-2015, 11:57 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,188,317 times
Yuck. That thing looks huge. That's a mutated monster ant right?

Old 07-28-2015, 11:57 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Definitely looks and feels like summer today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphatier View Post
Yuck. That thing looks huge. That's a mutated monster ant right?
Yeah let's go with that.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:17 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,452,972 times

Old 07-28-2015, 12:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Nice mountain photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
Today we went at the Mont Cenis Lake for a short trip, and I took some photos of it.
It is just on the other side of the Italy-France borderline, at less than 10 Km from my home. So during the summer we go there quite often!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Cenis
Altitude: nearly 2050 m = 6 725 ft , so just above the tree line
Today it's a fantastic day there, it is warm (nearly 20°C), not too windy and in practice there aren't clouds (in fact I have the impression that I got a little sunburnt, even if I payed attention on it this time...).
I thought the Alps had a higher treeline, maybe depends on what part?

Quote:
^ those are some edelweisses. They are not "wild", they are in a garden of alpine flowers. But they are still beautiful.
Never heard of non-wild alpine flowers. Some planted a garden above treeline?

Quote:
^ this is the Rocciamelone, the highest mountain that I can see from my home. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocciamelone
It is 3538 m =11608 ft high, while the village that you can see in the bottom of the photo is at an altitude of 800 m = 2 624ft.
Impressive elevation difference between summit and mountain base. Also different is the gap between snowline and treeline; there's not snow on that mountain except for a few small patches yet it's 5000 feet higher than treeline. Western North American mountains don't have as big of a gap.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Forgot to ask, there was a photo of an icy/snowy road few posts back (I think CA). Did you bike that? I will assume you got off and walked that road. Not sure how far though.
No washington, it's Obstruction Point Road in Olympic National Park goes along a ridge. Yes, I biked it till the snow blocked the way. Because it wasn't clear to the end, it was closed to cars, but open for pedestrians and bicyclists. Some spots were rough and muddy most ok (initial start was a bit of a scare). Easier to navigate those curves on a bike than a curve and nice that there was no traffic but appears the most scenic section was closed.

Spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmOrHElbV5g

the most dangerous designation is a bit exaggerated but it's not a smooth highway for sure

Obstruction Point Road

some more photos I took:

Old 07-28-2015, 08:11 PM

after the rainstorm yesterday. brought my camera but left the SD card at home so just my phone camera:

storm is to the southeast

puddles on the road

corn stalks and Mt. Tom

ground fog forming

not sure if I like this one better

Spoiler

my bike

ground fog thick right here

nearby

Spoiler

mill building on the Mill River

was a flood warning on the Mill River. No flooding, but river level looked high

next morning thick fog. Around 7 am.

cleared just before 10. West

East had thicker clouds

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather