Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is it?
Oceanic 6 17.14%
Humid Subtropical 12 34.29%
Humid Continental 17 48.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 03:31 PM

824 posts, read 688,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
its like humid continental and oceanic had a child lol. I call it continental but with lots of oceanic influence.
I agree with muslim, it's winters are too cool to be subtropical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 04:20 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sir View Post
I agree with muslim, it's winters are too cool to be subtropical.
hey what can you tell me about your part of SC because it looks highly likely I will move to rock hill or south charlotte area which is close to your area by the end of summer. weather wise that is what can you tell me.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:43 PM

824 posts, read 688,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
hey what can you tell me about your part of SC because it looks highly likely I will move to rock hill or south charlotte area which is close to your area by the end of summer. weather wise that is what can you tell me.
First of all where are you coming from, if I remember correctly it's Raleigh, so it should really only warm slightly.

Winter: Cool days, and nights around freezing. There is rain about 9 or 10 days a month, mostly in the form of long lasting, lighter rain. It snows about 2 days a year.

Spring: March is very comfortable,with highs around room temp, and has similar rain to winter. May is very warm, usually around the low 80's and quicker, harder rain (often in the form of thunderstorms). April can lean either way, being either between the two months, or more similar to one of them. Nights are cool throughout, and it rains about 9-10 days a month. The pollen is bad during parts of March and April.

Summer: It usually consists of 80's to low 90's, with the occasional 3-digit day. The lows are around room temp, so the most tolerable time is just before dawn. Summer is a bit wetter, with short and very hard rain. Much of the rain falls during thunderstorms, even more-so than May. There are about 10-12 rainy days a month. Mosquitoes are fairly rare as long as you don't go out during the evening. (Do not go outside during the evening, the mosquitoes are 100x more common)

Fall: September is the same as the summer, while October and November tend to have room-temp to warm days, and cool nights. It is a bit drier, with 7-9 rainy days a month, and is somewhat windy. The rain intensity is variable, but thunderstorms aren't very common, especially outside September.

I notice you think SC will be hell. Do you mean the people or climate?

Old 06-06-2015, 05:45 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,132 times
[quote=Mr.Sir;39918352]First of all where are you coming from, if I remember correctly it's Raleigh, so it should really only warm slightly.

Winter: Cool days, and nights around freezing. There is rain about 9 or 10 days a month, mostly in the form of long lasting, lighter rain. It snows about 2 days a year.

Spring: March is very comfortable,with highs around room temp, and has similar rain to winter. May is very warm, usually around the low 80's and quicker, harder rain (often in the form of thunderstorms). April can lean either way, being either between the two months, or more similar to one of them. Nights are cool throughout, and it rains about 9-10 days a month. The pollen is bad during parts of March and April.

Summer: It usually consists of 80's to low 90's, with the occasional 3-digit day. The lows are around room temp, so the most tolerable time is just before dawn. Summer is a bit wetter, with short and very hard rain. Much of the rain falls during thunderstorms, even more-so than May. There are about 10-12 rainy days a month. Mosquitoes are fairly rare as long as you don't go out during the evening. (Do not go outside during the evening, the mosquitoes are 100x more common)

Fall: September is the same as the summer, while October and November tend to have room-temp to warm days, and cool nights. It is a bit drier, with 7-9 rainy days a month, and is somewhat windy. The rain intensity is variable, but thunderstorms aren't very common, especially outside September.

I notice you think SC will be hell. Do you mean the people or climate?[/q
I actually am looking forward to the possibility of SC but the problem is there is a chance I might end up in south charlotte which would be hell to me.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:15 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Humid subtropical. Winter highs average in the low 40s to upper 30s, warm enough to keep snow off the ground for most of the season.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:07 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Humid subtropical. Winter highs average in the low 40s to upper 30s, warm enough to keep snow off the ground for most of the season.
That's the theoretical "climate", certainly not relative to the winter just ended. Eastern Long Island had snow cover from early January to mid March. Nothing temperature-wise resembled sub-tropical and the 40s were figments of the imagination.

In fact, the winter of 2014-15 was quite similar to winters in the 1950s and 1960s when almost every year experienced temperature lows in the -5 to +5 degrees F.

I would note that I am new to these pages and may not be familiar with terminology used here but I'm only 20 minutes from Montauk - it's cold in the winter and humid all year, especially when the weather is warm and the gulfstream moves in close to land. It is common for the sun to be shining six miles away in East Hampton and cold heavy mist to be flowing onshore even in the summer months.

Where can I find the textbook definitions of the climate choices given above?

Old 06-07-2015, 03:20 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
That's the theoretical "climate", certainly not relative to the winter just ended. Eastern Long Island had snow cover from early January to mid March. Nothing temperature-wise resembled sub-tropical and the 40s were figments of the imagination.

In fact, the winter of 2014-15 was quite similar to winters in the 1950s and 1960s when almost every year experienced temperature lows in the -5 to +5 degrees F.

I would note that I am new to these pages and may not be familiar with terminology used here but I'm only 20 minutes from Montauk - it's cold in the winter and humid all year, especially when the weather is warm and the gulfstream moves in close to land. It is common for the sun to be shining six miles away in East Hampton and cold heavy mist to be flowing onshore even in the summer months.

Where can I find the textbook definitions of the climate choices given above?
Yes, but this winter was definitely anything but "average". You had one of the coldest Februaries on record, defintely not representative of the climate.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:35 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Humid continental with a notable oceanic influence.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:17 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Cfa it sticks out into the ocean, so it's obviously going to be more moderated than somewhere like NYC, but not fundamentally different to NYC.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:19 PM

340 posts, read 297,531 times
It looks like most of you agree with my opinion that it's mostly continental. The 20-25 inches (51-60cm) of snow Montauk gets in winter definitely definitely don't seem too subtropical but they also aren't reminiscent of an oceanic climate. There is definitely heavy moderation during the winter though which can be seen by this map.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather