Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2015, 04:36 PM

124 posts, read 147,266 times

Advertisements

But I'm going to qualify this by excluding weather so bad that it doesn't happen every year, that's not very representative. Also excluded is anything dangerous even when well prepared. The worst US or Canadian winter weather is not dangerous if you have Canadian Arctic troops wear, a snowmobile, a GPS phone and drive very slowly. But wind that can move your car is dangerous, hail that hurts you or damages cars is dangerous, lightning in some places is dangerous. Obviously, it'll be pretty deserted if that's forecast. Also, places with actual seasonal population swings (like Nantucket) shouldn't count..

I'm guessing that in say, San Diego, the weather never gets cr*ppy enough to keep people home. Maybe where it snows once a year, no one knows how to drive in the snow and they freak out and don't drive until the roads are plowed. But I've heard that DC shuts down with minor snow by our standards so maybe this doesn't change in much of the continent, just the number of inches needed to keep people home?

About cold, there is a zone where you can just wear sweaters or two coats but eventually this just won't cut it cause of frostbite and you can't have any skin exposed anymore. So now you'll need a ski mask and hand protection and by that temperature your balls will be so cold that you'll need long underwear that goes to the shins. I can personally attest to my testicles getting freaking cold before a ski mask being required. At least you can warm the legs by walking fast. The testicles, what are you going to do, rub them?

So there must be a zone where in cold waves no one goes out cause they don't have ski masks and gloves and long underwear since it doesn't happen often enough to be worth buying them. This might be the zone where the least people go out in bad compared to nice weather. Further north, everyone has these things and hats and scarves and maybe snowmobiles or skis so I'm not sure if it still happens where Minnesotans or Alaskans don't buy gear that they'd only need rarely (Deadhorse, Alaska-proof goggles to prevent your eyeballs from freezing?). Do Fairbanks, Deadhorse people still live life normally when it's -60F or do they try to avoid it?

I guess if you live there you might have a morbid interest in cold so maybe people go out even then just to see Super Soaker or urine streams freeze or to feel badass or drink in front of a bonfire? If I visited I'd want to throw a mug of water in the air, lol. I've heard that Minnesotans (and others?) run from where they parked to where they're going and run to the car and it's normal there. (I've only run once, in a 45 mph blizzard and my ears got really pink). This might effect things. Running is very warming and Antarcticans can actually be cold going out and later sweat like a pig from exercise.

Likewise in Arizona, does anyone really go out when it's in the 120s? The workers thankfully can stay in AC until late afternoon but what about going to the store or something?

Okay, I have to ask — Native South Floridians, do they even own sweaters or light jackets? Those that do, are they like s**t man, it's 32, forget this. Or if you've never left Puerto Rico, are you like "it's too cold, wait until it's noon we only have T-shirts, here put on two T-shirts and take a warm bath before we leave", and walk real fast while saying "f*ck f*ck it's 50!"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather