Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2015, 05:00 AM

29,489 posts, read 19,590,898 times

Advertisements

The Euro has highs near 70 degrees for NYC on Christmas Eve....

The end of the month the Euro (Global) has the flow right out the Southwest. TORCH

What model do you trust one month out, Canadian or CFSv2?

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 12-18-2015 at 05:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 06:30 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,992,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
So, is the rest of winter a wash out? Could the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic possibly receive NO snow? Weather channel posted NOVA forecast for the rest of this winter and it showed whole Northeast and East Coast in deep blowtorch fashion. I am another cold lover and am brokenhearted over this snowless bust of a winter. Just very glad I'm not longer living in Southeast Fla, I'd be pulling my hair out!!!
No, the rest of winter is not a washout - there's a good chance the pattern will change dramatically from what we're seeing now long before the winter's through. Last December was for all intents and purposes a lost December too, and while that sucks, just look what happened later that winter .

As for NOAA, just check out their historical track record for the season going back to just last winter - it's not too good. While the winter certainly could be a bust (winters mild enough to virtually lock out snow aren't exactly rare as far south as you are), there's no reason to believe that will be the case at this stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Here is where I'm at so far.... Jeez I had a high of 64F/18C and a low of 57F/14C last week. This is December right?
I've seen readings in midsummer in your region that were cooler than that - aren't these patterns where you can barely tell the difference between winter and summer awful? Also keep in mind that further south bugs and other vermin haven't been suppressed yet .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I'm not seeing a super blowtorch look on the GFS model. Yes, warmer than average, but cold enough nearby to produce snow here and there in certain areas over the next 2+ weeks.
Eh, the models are waffling between blowtorch and just warm, with us being a week out from the Twelve Days of Christmas and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
That's true. And probably why there's less melting over Antarctica vs the Arctic where its susceptible to warming when the Vortex breaks up. When I look at the South Pole in July I always see MUCH colder temps than the North Pole in Mid Winter.
That's primarily because the South Pole is on a continent whereas the North Pole is in the sea - water holds in heat like nothing else, and the Arctic sea ice is just a thin film sloshing around the water compared with the miles-thick Antarctic Ice Sheet. Sure, the circumpolar currents (both air and water) help Antarctica a lot, but even if the Antarctic vortex broke up to the max every winter the Arctic still wouldn't be able to compete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
That brings to mind a question. What if the northern hemisphere vortex gets much stronger with a cooling earth, would it result in less extreme temps in the southern US? It is the breakdown of the vortex that almost always brings extreme cold to the low latitude places of the US SE.
Actually during cool climate periods the vortex usually breaks up more often and to a greater degree, which is the reason why during the Little Ice Age the Southern U.S. occasionally saw sea ice.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:12 AM

158 posts, read 132,079 times
Quote:
The Euro has highs near 70 degrees for NYC on Christmas Eve...
wow...what's the record there for Xmas?

Current forecast for Dallas on Christmas Eve is 60-65F (low around 50)

Old 12-18-2015, 08:02 AM

5,036 posts, read 4,349,672 times
Accuweather is calling for severe t'storms the middle of next week in the Southeast.

Attached Thumbnails
Winter Thread 2015-16 (Northern Hemisphere)-untitled2.png  

Old 12-18-2015, 08:21 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,444,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Is it going to be cold in Kentucky today?
I would say so, sleet is falling at 10am. 32F.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:34 AM

5,036 posts, read 4,349,672 times
NWS Lake Charles

DISCUSSION...
SECONDARY SURGE OF COOL AND DRY AIR SPILLING INTO THE REGION EARLY
THIS MORNING...AUGMENTING/REINFORCING THE CONTINENTAL AIRMASS
ALREADY IN PLACE COURTESY OF THE CDFNT THIS PAST WED. TEMPERATURES
ARE ACTUALLY BOUNCING UP A FEW DEGREES WITH THE INCREASE IN
WINDS/MIXING ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SECOND FROPA...BUT THE END
RESULT WILL BE A SLIGHTLY COOLER AFTERNOON TODAY VS YESTERDAY
DESPITE AMPLE SUNSHINE.

LOWS TONIGHT EXPECTED TO BE THE COLDEST OF THIS FCST PERIOD AS THE
POST-FRONTAL HIGH SHIFTS EAST ACROSS THE REGION...WITH THE
RESULTING LIGHT WINDS AND CLEAR SKY YIELDING VERY GOOD RADIATIONAL
COOLING. A BRIEF PD OF FREEZING TEMPS IS POSSIBLE FOR INTERIOR
LOCATIONS IN EAST TEXAS AND CENTRAL LOUISIANA EARLY SAT MORNING.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:36 AM

29,489 posts, read 19,590,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
t

I've seen readings in midsummer in your region that were cooler than that - aren't these patterns where you can barely tell the difference between winter and summer awful? Also keep in mind that further south bugs and other vermin haven't been suppressed yet .
e.
You mean the minimum temps right? A 57F/14C would be very cool for July or August. A high of 64F/18C would be record cool. Though I get your point

Old 12-18-2015, 08:49 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,432,411 times
stay east for warmer weather this week

https://twitter.com/NWSBayArea/statu...04157747666944

Old 12-18-2015, 08:50 AM

2,504 posts, read 1,844,924 times
It was 70 F at 1 AM this morning. It's now struggling to get out the 50s at 11 AM under the full sun. Looks like the front has finally pushed through. Looking forward to the freeze tomorrow morning.

Quote:
The Euro has highs near 70 degrees for NYC on Christmas Eve....
Wunderground is showing a high of 82 F on Christmas day down here. Yuck!

Old 12-18-2015, 09:09 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,423,595 times
A little sleet mixed in with the rain here about an hour ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather