U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-11-2015, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Depok, West Java (Jakarta area) / Bandung / Pekanbaru, Indonesia
4,545 posts, read 2,421,611 times
Reputation: 1273

Advertisements

well its not even fall yet but last 2 years winter thread for NH started in midsummer

what do you think about the upcoming winter? do you hope for a mild (above avg) or cold (below avg) or just average winter?

i hoping for a rainy "winter" (low sun angle season) here!!! starting to miss those la nina years, no more drought here that caused by El Nino



but its still in progress, atleast we get more precipitation than last 2 "winters"

Last edited by divisionbyzero0; 07-11-2015 at 10:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2015, 10:26 AM
 
Location: South Jersey
12,923 posts, read 6,503,693 times
Reputation: 4471
I want winter to be cold and snowy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2015, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Depok, West Java (Jakarta area) / Bandung / Pekanbaru, Indonesia
4,545 posts, read 2,421,611 times
Reputation: 1273
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I want winter to be cold and snowy.
It usually means drought/wildfire haze here though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2015, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Orcutt, CA (Santa Maria Valley)
3,314 posts, read 1,364,058 times
Reputation: 918
Lets hope California get pounded with heavy rain and snow all winter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2015, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Castlederp
9,268 posts, read 5,455,450 times
Reputation: 2895
5 months until winter.. nobody knows what winter will bring, any model outputs are no better than guesses until we get to November. Shouldn't this thread at least wait until summer is over..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2015, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
6,784 posts, read 3,112,886 times
Reputation: 2223
Lol, northern hemisphere's gone two threads ahead whilst the southern hemisphere is still in its current season

Prefer it that way tbh. Focus on the season at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2015, 11:25 AM
 
Location: South Jersey
12,923 posts, read 6,503,693 times
Reputation: 4471
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
5 months until winter.. nobody knows what winter will bring, any model outputs are no better than guesses until we get to November. Shouldn't this thread at least wait until summer is over..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
Lol, northern hemisphere's gone two threads ahead whilst the southern hemisphere is still in its current season

Prefer it that way tbh. Focus on the season at hand.
Nothing wrong with talking about the future. Honestly, I can see a case for allowing the creation of each seasonal thread up to a year in advance. I don't think creating a 2017 summer thread would be a good idea, for example. Who would have anything to say about that summer yet? But a 2016 summer thread.. why not? Some, like chicagogeorge, have said they've already written off this summer, so perhaps they'd like to discuss next summer at this time. Or next spring. If you want to talk about next spring, which thread would you post in? It doesn't make much sense to talk about spring 2017, though.

Just saying... since the question always comes up. So I'd propose that each seasonal thread may be created one year in advance of the actual season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2015, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
6,784 posts, read 3,112,886 times
Reputation: 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Nothing wrong with talking about the future. Honestly, I can see a case for allowing the creation of each seasonal thread up to a year in advance. I don't think creating a 2017 summer thread would be a good idea, for example. Who would have anything to say about that summer yet? But a 2016 summer thread.. why not? Some, like chicagogeorge, have said they've already written off this summer, so perhaps they'd like to discuss next summer at this time. Or next spring. If you want to talk about next spring, which thread would you post in? It doesn't make much sense to talk about spring 2017, though.

Just saying... since the question always comes up. So I'd propose that each seasonal thread may be created one year in advance of the actual season.
You can only really talk and speculate about the future mostly, and at best have a rough understanding of what it will be like. Charts and outlooks are always set to change.

For me, talking about the summer (2015/2016) seems pointless, since I only know that it will be dry. No idea of whether any records will be broken, average, severe weather events etc. I can only speculate the finer details without proof, and you can only go so far with that. That's my view on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2015, 11:33 AM
 
Location: South Jersey
12,923 posts, read 6,503,693 times
Reputation: 4471
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
You can only really talk and speculate about the future mostly, and at best have a rough understanding of what it will be like. Charts and outlooks are always set to change.

For me, talking about the summer (2015/2016) seems pointless, since I only know that it will be dry. No idea of whether any records will be broken, average, severe weather events etc. I can only speculate the finer details without proof, and you can only go so far with that. That's my view on it.
Well, what's wrong with speculation? I agree you can only go so far, but at least there's something to possibly discuss. And in any case, these threads aren't solely devoted to models, outlooks, and forecasts anyway. You can have general discussions about the particular season as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2015, 11:41 AM
 
Location: South Jersey
12,923 posts, read 6,503,693 times
Reputation: 4471
The thread title needs to be fixed, though: from winter thread 2015-16 (NH) to Winter Thread 2015-16 (Northern Hemisphere) or 2015-16 Winter Thread (Northern Hemisphere)

Northern/Southern Hemisphere should be spelt out (IMO). Some forum visitors may not know what 'NH' stands for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top