Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 04:58 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,335,745 times

Advertisements

Probably will be pulling all nighters the next three nights. I have to finish TWO translation packets (each of 200 pages or so) before Thursday since I'm going out of town. ****. Oh well.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:59 PM

14,498 posts, read 9,407,590 times
Speaking a foreign language is great and all. But, candidly, I kind of wish English weren't my first language (and that I also spoke it only as a second language). Folks from mainland Europe have it good in this regard. They get to have their own language to speak with their own folks while interacting with the outside world with the lingua franca that is English. Sometimes I wish my area were to the rest of the US what Quebec is to Canada and that we spoke our own language locally and interacted with the rest of the country (and world) in their language (i.e., English). Of course, hypothetically, I'd be partial to an imaginary Slavic heritage and language for South Jersey, or at least my part of it.

Because, really, what's so good about people around the world speaking your language?

Old 10-12-2015, 05:00 PM

Funny how Owen always goes on about people needing to learn English, when no one else on this forum (even people that English is their second language) make as many grammatical and spelling mistakes as Owen.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:02 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,249,138 times
What! I am so glad I speak English!! I honestly don't care what people think, I am terrible at foreign languages and I have no problem admitting that.

I don't get Northstar's comment about Europe, yes they speak foreign languages but I don't go there frequently, so why should it matter?

Old 10-12-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
59% of Dade County is Spanish-speaking. 27% speak English only.
That sounds about right. There's areas that are nearly 100% Spanish-speaking (Little Havana, Hialeah, Allapattah, etc).

Old 10-12-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
What! I am so glad I speak English!! I honestly don't care what people think, I am terrible at foreign languages and I have no problem admitting that.

I don't get Northstar's comment about Europe, yes they speak foreign languages but I don't go there frequently, so why should it matter?
Dude, you're terrible even at speaking English. And learning foreign languages makes you better at your own language, there's studies that prove that.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:12 PM

6,909 posts, read 7,649,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Speaking a foreign language is great and all. But, candidly, I kind of wish English weren't my first language (and that I also spoke it only as a second language). Folks from mainland Europe have it good in this regard. They get to have their own language to speak with their own folks while interacting with the outside world with the lingua franca that is English. Sometimes I wish my area were to the rest of the US what Quebec is to Canada and that we spoke our own language locally and interacted with the rest of the country (and world) in their language (i.e., English). Of course, hypothetically, I'd be partial to an imaginary Slavic heritage and language for South Jersey, or at least my part of it.

Because, really, what's so good about people around the world speaking your language?
It is interesting when I am with German friends here in Canada and we are speaking German and nobody around can understand what we are saying. But some have and ended up making friends with those people.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post

Whatever. I don't see what's so special about English. It's good as a lingua franca, I guess. It's hard to make a very strong claim to it even from an Englishman's perspective. It is truly a mongrel tongue: so incredibly imbued with Latin and Greek vocabulary for a Germanic language.

Still, with it being the global language, I want to be able to speak it, and speak it well. But as a second language.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
It is interesting when I am with German friends here in Canada and we are speaking German and nobody around can understand what we are saying. But some have and ended up making friends with those people.
Wouldn't it be neat if all the newcomers to the US and Canada of the 19th and 20th centuries had kept their languages and formed their own communities? Taught their children their ancestral languages? Had the kids go to schools in their ancestral languages (with plenty of English immersion)? That would be kind of cool.

Assimilation is a bad word.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:24 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,249,138 times
No that would be abominable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.