Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2015, 09:19 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,426,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The river smelled less bad today. Must be the wind.

BTW, the "Scandinavian insularity" is a thing of the past. Finland is the country which has least immigrants, and 10% of my city is "foreignor". So...
Yes, which is why I said traditionally. Scandinavia also seems moving away from populism and more towards a less restricted form of capitalism.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:25 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,790,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Yes, which is why I said traditionally. Scandinavia also seems moving away from populism and more towards a less restricted form of capitalism.
Populism never took a foothold here. We have always rejected extremist ideas. But you're quite right. Sweden and Norway are taking one liberal path, and Denmark and Finland are taking a more xenophobic path.

But still, the homogenous societies are a thing of a past.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:34 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,257,200 times
Got an offer for another degree.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:01 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,588,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Got an offer for another degree.
What are you studying?

Old 08-13-2015, 10:05 AM

13,479 posts, read 9,019,788 times
Many people in Malta are extremely lazy & live off benefits. The guy who lives in one of the flats above us openly told us "Why should I get a job when I can live off benefits" So many are the same as him too... Yet these same people shout about all the immigrants here taking the jobs off the Maltese! The only jobs that EU citizens can really get in Malta are either in the tourist or catering industry, or if you are English there are lots of call centres (like HSBC) & tons of iGaming companies... If you happen to be an immigrant from Africa the only jobs you will get is as a rubbish collector, road sweeper, dish washer or labourer, the jobs that no Maltese want to do

Old 08-13-2015, 10:14 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,426,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Populism never took a foothold here. We have always rejected extremist ideas. But you're quite right. Sweden and Norway are taking one liberal path, and Denmark and Finland are taking a more xenophobic path.

But still, the homogenous societies are a thing of a past.
Denmark seems to be in a much better position compared to Sweden. Sweden is unfortunately throwing away their homogeneity and their identity in favor of rootless cosmopolitanism and globalism. Homogeneous societies are fading away in the West only because they are being forced to. In the East... e.g., Japan, Korea... they are still very much a reality. It's not very 'extremist' at all. What is extreme is the popular notion that all nations should become melting pots.

And I'm bringing all this up because there's definitely a link between altruism and homogeneity in a society. Look at all relevant psychological studies and you'll see altruism and empathy are facilitated in monoracial contexts compared to multiracial ones. This obviously correlates with populism. So even going beyond the issues I brought up concerning how the different races use social welfare programs at different rates, I think cosmopolitanism itself reduces populist tendencies. So it's highly relevant to the situation in this country. And it's human nature, so you really can't change it even if you don't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
It's funny how everyone gets their panties in a twist over safety net programs, yet people rarely ever question any other government spending. I'd rather have a small portion of my tax dollars go towards someone in need (whether it be here or overseas) than towards bombs and unnecessary warfare.
False dichotomy.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:05 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,918,472 times
Is it just me or has anyone else on this side of the pond noticed how often the European posters go on holiday compared to us work dogs over here. What would be so wrong with the US Govt actually passing a law requiring a min of 4 weeks paid vaca time per year? It is so obvious their govt's work for them, and our govt is just a shill for the corporations.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:19 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,813,291 times
How much paid holiday/vacation do you generally get in the US?
I currently get 30 days, plus bank holidays, so 38 days a year I believe. I work 7-4 monday-thursday, 7-12 on a friday and I get every other Friday off work. No weekends unless I want it either.

I couldn't ask for better really.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:21 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,257,200 times
12 days.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:22 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Is it just me or has anyone else on this side of the pond noticed how often the European posters go on holiday compared to us work dogs over here. What would be so wrong with the US Govt actually passing a law requiring a min of 4 weeks paid vaca time per year? It is so obvious their govt's work for them, and our govt is just a shill for the corporations.
Oh that's easy, tom. Because we all know every single US business is just one more extra vacation day and one little wage increase away from insolvency at least that's what those ****ing knuckle draggers in the GOP tell us . But hey, you can always negotiate extra time off they say, nevermind the fact that you won't get hired because some other person is willing to take 2 weeks off as opposed to 4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather