Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2015, 11:32 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Due to our higher latitude, slightly lower solar angle and a smaller sea keeping warmth, we generally think as early June being more summer than late August or September. Though August is the second warmest month here as well, the sun is getting weak, and the sunset is today at 20:43 opposed to 22:42 on 1 June. Also after like 16 August hot weather is becoming increasingly rare, while 30C is possible anytime in June or even late May. Not that it makes really much sense. In the last week of May the average high is 17C when in the first week of September it's 18C.

Anyway, summer/summerish weather is still prevailing until mid-September and it's not until the last week when leaves are changing.
That makes sense. It seems Scandinavia is quite capable of hot weather in late spring and early summer, but here it's rare, and our best chance of hot weather is of course late July and early August. Statistically the warmest 2-week period in the UK is 25 July to 8 August -but hot weather is still more likely in mid-late August than early-mid June.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:34 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No. In early March there is almost guaranteed snow on the ground and sunshine. In early December it's the same autumnal barren bleak overcast feel.
I guess being at a higher latitude, you notice the sun getting weaker in late August more than you feel the sun getting stronger in late February/early March.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:41 AM

5,039 posts, read 4,353,919 times
I'd say September is more of a summer month here. The average high doesn't get below 90F until September 13. We usually don't get fall-like weather until later in the month.

The averages on Sept 1 of 92/70F are warmer than June 1 of 88/67F.

But early December is more wintry on average than early March.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:54 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
The Midwest and the South see that weird pattern that has a seasonal lead in late fall/winter, but a seasonal delay in late spring/summer.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:12 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
That makes sense. It seems Scandinavia is quite capable of hot weather in late spring and early summer, but here it's rare, and our best chance of hot weather is of course late July and early August. Statistically the warmest 2-week period in the UK is 25 July to 8 August -but hot weather is still more likely in mid-late August than early-mid June.
Well, actually here the warmest 2-week period is 23 July to 6 August, so that isn't relevant. BUT, as our temps drop very quickly in September, that makes all the difference. As I said, during the 1st week of September the avg high is 18.2C, but during the last week it's only 13.5C! So for that reason and rapid drop in temps September is considered fully as an autumn month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I guess being at a higher latitude, you notice the sun getting weaker in late August more than you feel the sun getting stronger in late February/early March.
Actually vice versa. As in midwinter the UV is like 0.3, you can't feel any warmth at all. Like the once-popular pop song said:

Early morning neither of us have strength to party anymore
Tired glances, raspy voices
Behind us a sun that doesn't warm us

In August and September you have been used to the warm sun, and notice only slightly that it's weakening. Only in maybe first days October you notice that the wind breeze is almost as strong as the sun. On the contrary, in spring you notice that the yellow bulb start to warm again, and rapidly.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:25 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,259,670 times
I hate the 24 hour format for times.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:27 PM

Ugh I don't know why people keep comparing our climate with Finland. Winds blow west to east, our weather rarely comes from there.

It's obviously cold here in March and April because the ocean is cold and we have Greenland as a source to get arctic air from. It's pretty clear why he warms up quicker.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:37 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
I didn't

That is the stupidest, most ignorant thing i've heard yet! Ben Nevis averages a high of -2c in January, it is permanently covered in snow from November to May! It's impossible not to get snow in the highlands.

I am 19 years of age and I have not had a single year without at least one day of lying snow.
Auckland averages 15c highs in winter..pretty warm and alot warmer than here.

Please do research the climate because you would know firstly that snow is rare in New Zealand and secondly that it snows pretty frequently in the British Isles.

He tried to say that snow isn't guaranteed on Ben Nevis.
It depends on where you're are talking about in NZ.

For sea level locations north of 42"S it would be true to say it's rare. Also below 500m in the upper North Island. For other places snow could be described as infrequent (once a year on average) for lower South Island sea level locations, and quite frequent (1-5 times)for other places under 500 metres. Above 500m snow can be very common, particularly in the South Island. The South Island is 11 X the size of Northern Ireland, so those areas above 500 metres which see regular winter snow, are quite extensive.

I can see snow year round from my place, and it's not far away. You can't say the same.

Scotland is known for erratic snow cover on it's ski areas, although it can get heavy falls.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:41 PM

I'm unhappy because it's dark in England already. I'm really, really not looking forward to losing an hour of daylight in my day.

Seriously, it's crap.. I love my later sunsets. Honestly I hate it.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:54 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
The Midwest and the South see that weird pattern that has a seasonal lead in late fall/winter, but a seasonal delay in late spring/summer.
Actually that pattern seems quite widespread. The PNW is like this, as well as northern France. The coldest 3-month period in Paris begins on November 28, whereas there is a lag of about 10 days in summer. Either way, meteorological seasons make perfect sense there. Down here on the Riviera there is more of a lag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather