Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 10:06 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,375,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
"August 14th" is shorter than saying "the 14th of August", the latter just sounds a bit too formal and unnecessary imo.
Huh? In speech you would say that yeah, but does it matter if it takes 0.5 seconds extra to say it? Written on paper you'd still put '14th August', just as you guys put 'August 14th'.

I don't think it sounds formal at all, it's just natural and more sensible to say the day first before the month..

Old 08-14-2015, 10:12 AM

13,435 posts, read 8,972,886 times
I too find it bizarre how the US puts the month before the date, it makes no sense at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
UK is different for this too. It uses completely different adapter than the rest of Europe. At least US uses the same as the rest of North America

Complete list: Plug, socket & voltage by country - World Standards
Not everywhere in Europe, in Malta we use the exact same plugs/sockets as the UK

We drive on the left here too...

Old 08-14-2015, 10:12 AM

14,203 posts, read 11,457,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I don't think it sounds formal at all, it's just natural and more sensible to say the day first before the month..
Honestly, adults arguing about "sounds more formal" or "sounds more natural" or "sounds more sensible"?

The way you're used to sounds right to you, of course. The way you're not used to sounds unnatural.

Driving on the right is much more natural and sensible than driving on the left.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:26 AM

26,766 posts, read 37,679,468 times
Quote:
Huh? In speech you would say that yeah, but does it matter if it takes 0.5 seconds extra to say it? Written on paper you'd still put '14th August', just as you guys put 'August 14th'.

It's extremely frustrating and confusing where I live when it comes to numerical dates.

The most common uses here are DMYYYY (which happens to follow the way you say it in French, and also from smallest to largest) or YYYYMD (from largest to smallest), but some electronic devices are programmed for use in the States and so they spit out MDYYYY.

So two days ago I could have gotten a receipt or a form that said 2015/08/12 as the date, or 12/08/2015, but 08/12/2015 is also in the realm of possibility...

Old 08-14-2015, 10:27 AM

14,498 posts, read 9,382,171 times
Quote:

Putting the month first comes more naturally in American English. Neither is inherently more logical. But intuitively, putting the month first makes more sense to me. Because you're starting with the month, then specifying the day.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post

As for measuring air temperature (i.e. the weather), the Celsius scale is not as useful as Fahrenheit. To paraphrase a graphic I've seen floating around

Fahrenheit
0 = really cold 100 = really hot

Celsius
0 = cold 100 = dead

Kelvin
0 = dead 100 = dead

From the point of view of a physicist, there's little advantage to quoting air temperature in Celsius. That it's metric means that people can feel superior for using it, but almost any useful calculation involving temperature involves looking up one or more constants or material properties (kB, cP, etc.), totally negating the usefulness of being in the metric system.
Exactly. I agree with you here.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:40 AM

26,766 posts, read 37,679,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Putting the month first comes more naturally in American English. Neither is inherently more logical. But intuitively, putting the month first makes more sense to me. Because you're starting with the month, then specifying the day.
I know that's what people are used to saying, but putting the month before is actually the least logical of the three. The month is the ''middle" unit in a date. The day and the year are "larger" or "smaller" depending on how you look at it, but the month is always the middle one.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:04 AM

3,936 posts, read 5,037,184 times
While it seems like everyone has fallen off the topic here, I find Fahrenheit an excellent measure of what it is.
Temperature in relation to weather and the human body.

Long term exposure to <0 Degrees = You'll die.
Long term exposure to >100 Degrees = You'll die.

It's very easy on a scale of 0 to 100 to know what's acceptable, and what isn't.
Centigrade may make sense for science and some cooking, but on the whole doesn't offer a wide range of outdoor or swim temperatures.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I know that's what people are used to saying, but putting the month before is actually the least logical of the three. The month is the ''middle" unit in a date. The day and the year are "larger" or "smaller" depending on how you look at it, but the month is always the middle one.
But it's not less logical, just like how it's equally logical to put an adjective before or after a noun. Case in point, hot sun in English or sol caliente in Spanish. Putting the date first conforms to the grammatical rules of Latin. English has been heavily Latinized in many ways, but it's not a Latinate language. Putting the month first is perfectly grammatical in English, and the date format in American English reflects that.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:10 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,057,551 times
Quote:

Why? Do you say the minute before the hour when stating the time? Do you say 10:15 to indicate 15 minutes into the 10th hour? Or do you say 15:10, putting the more specific first as you do with dates?

The natural order for categorization in most systems is to move from general to specific. So you start with the month, March. Ok, what day in the month? The 14th. Ok, what time on that day? 10:15am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather