U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 04:41 AM

12,152 posts, read 20,581,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Blue Canyon, California gets the highest snowfall amounts with more then 240" a year. It blows me away who would ever want to live some place where the snow is higher then the gutters on your home.
So far this winter we have a little under 100" of snowfall. There is only about 30" of snow on the ground in protected areas though, some fields have less than 5 " on the ground because of the wind. Just because an area gets a lot of snow doesn't mean it just keeps adding up in snow depth on the ground. It packs itself down, some melts, it turns crystalline and compacts tighter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 10:34 AM

9,598 posts, read 14,552,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westyguy View Post
What place in america gets alot of snow and alot of rain? what i mean by alot is over 150 inches of snow and over 25 inches of rain??
I'll take an educated guess that any place that can get 150 inches of snow will get over 25 inches of rain in the eastern half of North America.

Toronto's annual precip is 35 inches, with 59 inches of snow... but I don't know how much the 35 inches of precip is just snow.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:42 AM

3,940 posts, read 9,208,396 times
Washington State. Especially in the mountains. Maybe parts of Oregon, Idaho, and Montana too. Colorado just gets a lot of winter snow in the Rockies.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:42 PM

29,910 posts, read 5,117,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Washington State. Especially in the mountains. Maybe parts of Oregon, Idaho, and Montana too. Colorado just gets a lot of winter snow in the Rockies.
yea, i would have to agree with that. in snoqualmie pass, wa, they average like around 400 inches of snow and 70 inches of rain a year!

Old 01-29-2008, 12:19 AM

251 posts, read 593,250 times
And the rainiest city in the U.S. is... - LiveScience - MSNBC.com

Old 02-18-2008, 10:32 PM

3,746 posts, read 5,090,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I'll take an educated guess that any place that can get 150 inches of snow will get over 25 inches of rain in the eastern half of North America.

Toronto's annual precip is 35 inches, with 59 inches of snow... but I don't know how much the 35 inches of precip is just snow.
I'm on the other side of the lake. We get the Lake effect snow that you miss in Toronto. We also get the rain from Ontario and Erie.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:05 PM

5,770 posts, read 4,055,203 times
Some of the Ski Resort towns in the Rockies get pummeled with snow. The sleepy ski town of Alta, UT, averages over 500" of snow per year! IIRC, the snowiest area is in Washington at Mt Baker ski resort, with around 1150 inches of snowfall recorded in one year!

Edit: Here we go:
Snowiest Ski Resorts | ForbesTraveler.com (http://www.forbestraveler.com/skiing/snowiest-ski-resorts-story.html - broken link)

Click on the slideshow part. For being a 'desert', Utah sure gets a lot of snow! Many of the snowiest resorts are there.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:51 PM

5,031 posts, read 7,768,232 times
Olympic Peninsula [west of Seattle receives huge amounts of snow & copious rain]. The Sierra gets plenty of wet snow for massive rain totals but, like all of California rarely experiences rainfall from late spring to late fall [ex. occasional summer t-storms

Old 02-28-2008, 03:26 PM

768 posts, read 1,813,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Blue Canyon, California gets the highest snowfall amounts with more then 240" a year. It blows me away who would ever want to live some place where the snow is higher then the gutters on your home.

Mobile, Alabama is the rainest place in America getting a whopping 5 feet of rain a year. People take boats to work, not cars. Windshield wipers cost $25 there and $5 in any other city.

Fasinating......
I believe there are places in Washington (around Rainier) that average well better than 240" of snow per year. Other areas in California (other than Blue Canyon), Washington, Oregon, Montana, Utah and Colorado also average well better than 240". Many areas in Colorado (especially in the San Juan Mountains and in the Steamboat area) average over 400" per year. Wolf Creek Ski Area has already received over 41 feet of snow (492") as of 02/25/08 and March is the snowiest month. I'm sure there are areas in Washington that have received far more snow.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:58 PM

712 posts, read 766,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Marquette, MI
Cadillac, MI
Watertown, NY
Oswego County, NY
Syracuse, NY
Traverse City, MI
Lake Tahoe, CA
Flagstaff, AZ
Add to that the villages of Valzez and Yakutat in Alaska. Both get over 200 inches annually and the drier of the two gets nearly 70 inches of precip. Valdez is said to get more snowfall than any other sea level location on the planet but I don't know how true that is.
Closer to home (or at least my home) are Holden Village and Mazama in Washington. Holden averages nearly 400 inches and Mazama borderlines at about 150. McCall and Ketchum, both in Idaho, also scrape the 150 limit; as does West Glacier in Montana.
None of thes places I have mentioned with the exception of Mazama are ski resorts and the least populated of the lot is Mazama with a permanent population of about 125.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather