U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-02-2010, 06:40 AM

2,918 posts, read 851,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Dude, it's April SECOND.
Oh thanks for the reminder, you know I'd TOTALLY forgotten.

Never minding of course that the question was "Where Is The Best Summer Weather In The U.s." so my reply now seems rather pertinent does it not, as I know the climatic averages and summer weather of the locations I listed; and you sound like you could do with removing your head from some tight, dark and nasty orifice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 06:47 AM

5,060 posts, read 2,731,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Dude, it's April SECOND.
So, because he likes heat, it's an "april fools" joke to you? Get lost please. Richard is allowed to like whatever the bloody crap he wants.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:43 AM

4,444 posts, read 4,191,289 times
Here’s another map that many find interesting in this conversation. I‘ll use July since it’s normally the hottest month in the USA:

The USA is really divided into 4 main zones in the summer months in terms of mean temperatures:

Means below 60 F (normal daily summer highs in the upper 60’s/lower 70's F)…This area includes the immeadite Pacific Coast from Central California north to Washington State (San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Vancouver).

Means from 60 to 69 F (Normal daily summer highs in the upper 70’s F)…This area includes the immediate southern California coast (LA, San Diego - although there are many micro-climates not shown), the interior Pacific Northwest …parts of the Intermountain West…the upper Midwest/Great Lakes (Northern ND, northern MN, northern WI, northern MI, northern New York…and northern New England (VT, NH, ME).

Means from 70 F to 79 F ( Normal daily summer highs in the 80 to 85 F range) …This includes most of interior California, parts of the interior southwestern USA (southern NM, UT, ), the central Plains, upper south, lower Great Lakes, lower Midwest, and East Coast from metro Boston southward to southern North Carolina (NYC/Philly/Balt/Richmond, VA).

Means above 80 F (Normal daily summer highs 90 -95 F)…[/b]this includes parts the Desert Southwest (Eastern California, southern AZ, southern NV) , the Gulf and South Atlantic from East Texas to South Carolina.

Means above 90 F (Normal daily summer highs in the 103 to 105 F range)…The area around Palm Springs, through Death Valley, Tucson, Yuma, and Phoenix has means over 90 F.

The highest average mean July temperature in the USA is Death Valley…which has a mean of 114.9 F.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:41 PM

29,910 posts, read 5,113,275 times
Northern Minnesota along the Lake superior shores has the best summer weather in the U.S

Old 04-04-2010, 07:59 PM

24,693 posts, read 15,657,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Here!! San Francisco & most of the Pacific Northwest has great summers, because of the coastal fog and wind. I lived in the town of Pacifica for a while, which is right on the ocean - about 6 miles south of San Francisco... in the middle of July, even if the temperature hit 90 a few miles inland, it would be foggy & cool (55-65 degrees typically) in Pacifica. Perfect in my opinion. There's actually a famous old saying - "The coldest winter I ever felt was the summer I spent in San Francisco" (or something like that)!
Mark Twain said the coldest winter he'd ever spend was a summer in SF. London like coolness in July isn't really for me.

I think anywhere in the northern US is great - although SD, even ND can get quite hot, Minnesota and New England would be perfect, with cool nights and warm days.

Coastal California is nice temp-wise but the boring sunshine and fog would get old.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:34 PM

2,792 posts, read 2,580,258 times
SF may be cool in the summer but it has 73% of possible sunshine in July. And as long as you are in the sun, shorts and t-shirt are usually not a problem.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Mark Twain said the coldest winter he'd ever spend was a summer in SF. London like coolness in July isn't really for me.
London would actually likely feel warmer than SF, even their average summer highs are some 2C warmer. I'd hazard that SF gets plenty of icy seabreezes from all that water even on the sunniest and apparently 'pleasant' summer days.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:35 AM

2,792 posts, read 2,580,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
London would actually likely feel warmer than SF, even their average summer highs are some 2C warmer. I'd hazard that SF gets plenty of icy seabreezes from all that water even on the sunniest and apparently 'pleasant' summer days.
Depends. SF is very hilly so the breeziness depends a lot of which side of a hill you happen to be on. Eastern districts are relatively protected.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:26 PM

29,910 posts, read 5,113,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

I think anywhere in the northern US is great - although SD, even ND can get quite hot, Minnesota and New England would be perfect, with cool nights and warm days.

Coastal California is nice temp-wise but the boring sunshine and fog would get old.
Yeah anywhere in the Great Plains (because of dryness and being far away from any moderating bodies of water) can get extremely hot in the summer. For example, KS and OK have hotter summers than most of the Southeastern U.S despite being farther north...

And Pierre, SD has an average high around 90 in July....and they also reached 119F in July of 2006

Old 04-05-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
Yeah anywhere in the Great Plains (because of dryness and being far away from any moderating bodies of water) can get extremely hot in the summer. For example, KS and OK have hotter summers than most of the Southeastern U.S despite being farther north...

And Pierre, SD has an average high around 90 in July....and they also reached 119F in July of 2006
Bastards!!! Avalon Airport south of Melbourne recorded the same temp on Feb 7th 2009.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather