U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 01:50 PM

56 posts, read 496,139 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all,, I love this web site,, you get such great information and very quickly.

I have been provided with several great alternatives,, I think I will try them all,,,,

Aren't we lucky to live in such a wonderful counrty,,,!

I always thought it was hot and humid in New England,, and places like Minnesota in the summer, but maybe it's like someone said,,,,,, it is probably tied to the elevation,,,

But I know that high elevations don;t always work, it is not always totally free of heat and humidity at high elevations. I have been in the Sierra's in Calfiornia, in the summer and had high temps, high humidity, and lots of bugs,,,,

All of the Pacific coast is probably a good bet, but I have traveled the west so much I am sure I can find other places around the country,, that provide a relief from the heat and humidity of summer in the South.

I like the adventures of finding the perfect summer retreat,,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 01:10 AM

20 posts, read 71,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobizzy3 View Post
I have been in the Sierra's in Calfiornia, in the summer and had high temps, high humidity, and lots of bugs,,,,
You must not have been in Lake Tahoe... I've lived 10 summers there and not experienced any of the 3 things you mention. If those 3 are disqualifiers to your new summer location I'd say your choices are very, very slim east of the Mississippi.

Last edited by Yac; 12-15-2006 at 04:15 AM..

Old 12-15-2006, 02:36 AM

27,326 posts, read 42,781,817 times
Quote:
Who has the best summer weather in the country?

If I had to go somewhere to get away from hot humid days, in July and August,, where in the U.S. would that be??
Here!! San Francisco & most of the Pacific Northwest has great summers, because of the coastal fog and wind. I lived in the town of Pacifica for a while, which is right on the ocean - about 6 miles south of San Francisco... in the middle of July, even if the temperature hit 90 a few miles inland, it would be foggy & cool (55-65 degrees typically) in Pacifica. Perfect in my opinion. There's actually a famous old saying - "The coldest winter I ever felt was the summer I spent in San Francisco" (or something like that)!

Old 12-15-2006, 02:40 AM

27,326 posts, read 42,781,817 times
Quote:
I have been in the Sierra's in Calfiornia, in the summer and had high temps, high humidity, and lots of bugs,,,,
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeizeTheJourney View Post
You must not have been in Lake Tahoe... I've lived 10 summers there and not experienced any of the 3 things you mention.
I lived in Lake Tahoe as well (South Shore), and didn't notice any humidity... in fact, it was practically desert-dry! But I do remember lots of bugs, though not the same types you get in the South, and temperatures occasionally got high. But I've been to the South in the summer, and it's NOTHING in comparison!!

Old 12-15-2006, 04:07 AM

153 posts, read 635,078 times
Nothing beats an Upper Midwest Summer. Nothing. Upper Midwest = Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan.

Rarely breaks 90 degrees. Average is around 75. Warm days, cool nights. Great weather.

The Upper Midwest is God's playground!

Old 12-15-2006, 09:00 AM

20,005 posts, read 67,405,030 times
Ive got a few recommendations:

Michigan's UP. Very nice weather most of the time (summer only of course).

Colorado--up in the Rockies. Ive stayed at Estes Park in July and dont think it broke 80 degrees, and it was breezy all week. It was heaven.

Portland can have some nice spells as well.

Chicago is usually nice, but there is a few weeks of high humidity and blazing temps. Best time to visit would be late May through June and late August and September.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:21 AM

5,503 posts, read 13,421,790 times
To get away from hot humid summer days, go west of the 100th degree longitude (runs from approximately halfway across North Dakota to Laredo Texas) and north of approximately Interstate 80 (runs from NY to San Francsico)! That narrows it down to the states of WA, OR, CA, ID, MT, and parts of ND, SD, WY, NE. There're probably a few little heat islands in there, but no humidity.

Personally, I'd pick MT.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:57 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,265,074 times
The ABSOLUTE BEST summer weather is that tri-corners area of AZ, NV, & CA. (Though I'd prefer AZ personally...) Hotter than hell & drier than hell. AHHHHHHHHHHH! JOY!!!!!!!!
(I'm totally serious - incase those of you who don't "know" me & think I'm crazy take that as sarcasm... Wait a minute - those of you who "know" me also think I'm crazy... )
But yeah - THE SONORAN & THE MOJAVE KICK ASS!!!!!!
(In the SUMMER!!! For the winter it's Miami baby!!! )

Old 12-15-2006, 07:36 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,714,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politikally View Post
Nothing beats an Upper Midwest Summer. Nothing. Upper Midwest = Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan.

Rarely breaks 90 degrees. Average is around 75. Warm days, cool nights. Great weather.

The Upper Midwest is God's playground!

I second this. It was like 50-75 during the day when I visited Wyoming and the nights can get cold enough to snow! Yes snow in the summer!

Old 12-15-2006, 09:27 PM

9,595 posts, read 22,618,214 times
So far I like the south Atlantic coast in summer the best...

Sweating a little bit isn't uncomfortable for me, and that's all that happens when it's around 90 F and 50% humidity.
Even at a heat index of 110 F, cold drinks and a relaxed work ethic is all that I need to handle the heat.
Funny they call that extreme heat, since what I do to deal with it doesn't make it sound specatular.

I like summers where you probably don't need a jacket or long sleeves before sunrise, so for morning lows I prefer 65 F or more, but anything above 60 F is fine too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or