Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 11:05 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,815,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
That's really an opinion. I consider Atlanta to have harsh winters btw, am I wrong?
I believe that Coral finds the Atlanta winter harsh, as he tends to keep his hat on. Protects his Coral brain you see. Rick however, finds it rather pleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 11:18 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
Atlanta does not have "harsh" winters, FFS. That's the equivalent of me saying Winnipeg has steamy summers. You guys are really twisting and stretching the meaning of "harsh". What's next, is someone going to call Orlando harsh? Lol.

Atlanta's winters aren't on the brink of survival or life-threatening by any means. Seriously, I understand that people have their preferences, but to call Atlanta harsh is well, stupid.

Seems people think the slightest bit of discomfort is "harsh".

Old 04-06-2016, 11:24 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
One of the last times I was in San Francisco I probably experienced the most anomolous ~week in the history of the city

Temps were in the High 80's most of the week with NO fog whatsoever. The last day dawned bright and warm witb temps climbing toward the middle 80's then clouds moved in and I was treated to a suprisingly potent bay-area thunderstorm.

How often does that happen!?
I was in San Francisco last September (downtown for work) and it was sunny and HOT! Like mid 90s, and rather humid every day. I was sweating just walking around. I was there last December and it was sunny and mild, pleasant evenings for walking around, even though it was dark.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:34 AM

892 posts, read 859,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Atlanta does not have "harsh" winters, FFS. That's the equivalent of me saying Winnipeg has steamy summers. You guys are really twisting and stretching the meaning of "harsh". What's next, is someone going to call Orlando harsh? Lol.

Atlanta's winters aren't on the brink of survival or life-threatening by any means. Seriously, I understand that people have their preferences, but to call Atlanta harsh is well, stupid.

They are cold enough for you to freeze to death : Ga. woman freezes to death next to husband after both fall - NY Daily News

Or as we saw a couple years ago, icy/snowy conditions shut down Atlanta for what 2 days?

Harsh for me. There is nothing 'stupid' about that. In fact 'stupid' is pretty much the response above.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:38 AM

Lol, one isolated incident of someone freezing to death, probably during an exceptional cold snap, makes a winter "harsh"?

The fact that Atlanta shut down for two days for icy/snowy conditions (which was four inches of snow at most) speaks to how mild they actually are.

That's like me saying Fairbanks has hot summers, because it has the potential to hit 90 F. Rather foolish.

There was an NFL player who died of heatstroke in Minnesota back in August 2001, does Minnesota have "harsh" summers? No it doesn't.

Atlanta also gets plenty of 60 F and 70 F days during winter as well, matter of fact the average high never even drops below 50 F.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:17 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
"Harsh" for me implies that certain aspects of a particular climate make life difficult. Yakutsk is very harsh, whereas Atlanta is very hospitable. I wouldn't even deem my own winters harsh, as much as I hate them, other places have it far worse.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
"Harsh" for me implies that certain aspects of a particular climate make life difficult. Yakutsk is very harsh, whereas Atlanta is very hospitable. I wouldn't even deem my own winters harsh, as much as I hate them, other places have it far worse.
Exactly. Even Tallahassee can have cold snaps where people can freeze to death if they're not dressed properly and out for a long time, does it mean it's "harsh"? Certainly not.

Like I said, I think people think the slightest discomfort constitutes as harsh.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:19 PM

892 posts, read 859,393 times
Quote:
Exactly. Even Tallahassee can have cold snaps where people can freeze to death if they're not dressed properly and out for a long time, does it mean it's "harsh"? Certainly not.

Like I said, I think people think the slightest discomfort constitutes as harsh.
Would you say Miami has a harsh summer?

Old 04-06-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Would you say Miami has a harsh summer?
Not really, sure it's unpleasant, but not "harsh". The main issues with Miami summer is how long they last, and how high the sun angle is.

I would consider it more relentless and unpleasant, rather than "harsh". It's not difficult to survive a Miami summer, it just sucks.

Either way, a Miami summer is far more "harsh" than an Atlanta winter. Atlanta gets plenty of mild and pleasant days in winter, while Miami gets no break in tropical heat and humidity for six months. It's really no comparison.

I would consider Phoenix and Palm Springs summers as harsh though.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:28 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,679,161 times
Quote:

Atlanta's winter's not harsh at all. It's comparable to Hobart, Tasmania. Winters get harsh north of New York City, IMO, with the city being borderline.

Quote:
Lol, one isolated incident of someone freezing to death, probably during an exceptional cold snap, makes a winter "harsh"?

The fact that Atlanta shut down for two days for icy/snowy conditions (which was four inches of snow at most) speaks to how mild they actually are.

That's like me saying Fairbanks has hot summers, because it has the potential to hit 90 F. Rather foolish.

There was an NFL player who died of heatstroke in Minnesota back in August 2001, does Minnesota have "harsh" summers? No it doesn't.

Atlanta also gets plenty of 60 F and 70 F days during winter as well, matter of fact the average high never even drops below 50 F.
This. It's highly likely that much more people die in Atlanta in the summer rather than winter, it's just that they don't print that because it would occupy too many newspaper's pages.

I think Minneapolis has very hot summers, with many days getting above 90 °F, it wouldn't be very pleasant to go outside for more than 15 minutes on those days. There are other comfortable (though very warm) summer days in Minneapolis, but that doesn't take back the fact that there also many hot days. Never underestimate a place's summer just because there gets extremely cold winters.

However, I think Miami's summers are harsh. Temperatures are above 90 °F virtually every day, with no kind of relief even in the early morning, and I'd be confined to A/C buildings for 4 consecutive months, since I prefer temperatures between 50 °F and 70 °F when walking outside (I can stretch them from 35 °F to 77 °F too, but the former range is more comfortable for me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather