Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2015, 08:13 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

A bike ride from last week. Started off cloudy, was expecting more sun. About 25 minutes after sunrise:

See the difference between valley fog and cloudy skies? There's both here.

Clouds finally breaking. I felt kinda cold without the sun. Wasn't too bad — upper 40s at the start of the ride, but was hoping for some warmth to come.

Would English posters find the rectangular plots in the fields with shrub boundaries look a bit like England? Same view as above but more of the fields:

Spoiler

Still kinda cloudy with fog hanging around

Fall colors along the Green River:

Green River has some water on it, but not that much. But more than it has had for many months:

After a rainstorm, May 2014

Spoiler

By the covered bridge:

stopped to eat here. Road sign appears to not be on a road

river looks kinda low

Pond, clearly not peak foliage yet

Grapes? I was tempted to try one.

some advertisments posted by the village store. I'm in non-tourist, "native" Vermont:

Spoiler

Radical math?! Trying to find a way to sell mathematics to parents of a certain ideology? The "math circle" sounds vaguely hippie-ish.

Has the only restaurant in 12 towns! Price seems kinda given the number of rentals and businesses contained, but the remoteness but drag down the value.

Blessing of the Animals is at 2 pm today. Poor animals; need to be on a leash or in a cage even while getting blessed.

hillside

some bigger mountains in the distance

couple more roadside views.

Spoiler
some red leaves along the road

Think this is Mt. Snow?

Village of Whitingham, Vermont. It has a general store, antique store [on left], apartment building [on right] and a few other houses and a church off the picture. It was the birthplace of Brigham Young; Vermont isn't a place I'd associate with Mormons.

Readsboro, Vermont. Home of a restaurant.

Looking south in Readsboro along the Deerfield River. I'm heading that way.

Leaves seem rather changed up here.

Wild turkeys crossed the road.

Deerfield River valley has steep sides here

Mostly green here, colors seemed to much more changed over the Vermont border. Green River in Massachusetts had some, too:

but some bright spots

with bicycle

Spoiler

wooden bridge planks feel rather loose

Same spot late August

Spoiler

gravel pit

from above, late August:

Spoiler

Another hillside photo of the Deerfield

Leaving the Deerfield River valley heading east back home

Ashfield Town Hall is 200 years old. Odd top for a government building; was originally a church.

Waterfalls

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 09:05 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,900 times
^^ Great photos! You live in such a beautiful area, I'm jealous...lol.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:29 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,003,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
A bike ride from last week. Started off cloudy, was expecting more sun.

You area in August seeing by this side look like the mountainous area of my state,this river and this green..

Old 10-11-2015, 05:39 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,303,118 times
Nei, if you mind me asking, what type of bike do you have? Because you seem to do a lot of rides and also, nice pics.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:28 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,503,304 times
Beautiful pics fromTrondheim the Alps and New England I'm jealous of your landscapes... here are three pics from a hike to the highest "mountain" of my area:

Planted trees are near peak foliage while the forest is still mostly green.

same tree species but different foliage:

Old 10-12-2015, 08:57 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
I don't live close to rural nature, so I have to post pics from my Sunday spent walking around a heavy urban setting.

Trees starting to show some color. Was a comfortable day yesterday with a morning low of 47F and an afternoon high of 70F. High diurnal range with dry conditions.

Washington Square Park (War for Independence burial site).

Old colonial hospital in the city. First hospital in colonial America.

Ben Franklin is buried here:

Finally later in the afternoon I made my way to the annual Gay street festival.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:06 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,257,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
^^ Great photos! You live in such a beautiful area, I'm jealous...lol.
It looks very isolated. I've flown over his area and there are only a few large towns and then small numbers of houses dotted around.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:18 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
It looks very isolated. I've flown over his area and there are only a few large towns and then small numbers of houses dotted around.
But that's what makes it so nice - all that open countryside and those quaint villages that haven't been paved over with nasty commercial development. Besides, the major cities of the NE are only a few hours away. Best of both worlds, if you ask me.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:18 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
A bike ride from last week.

Nice photos. That's my favorite. Has colors, River, Dirt path and means of transportation. lol I should get one with my Hiking Boots in the middle of the trail. lol

I realized that a bike ride is so much better to do because you can easily stop to take pictures. I see so many nice photo Ops driving a car but it's so hard to stop everywhere. How many brakes do you go through a year?

====================

Here's an area near me. One spot I always wondered how deep the valley is in front of that hill back there.

Colors progressing fast with Sunny days and cool nights now.

Maybe hard to see here but there is a drop off after that house then comes back up to the hill you see in front there.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:35 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,727,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
So the time back down was the same as going up? I'm usually bit faster going down.
We left the car at 7 am, walked on a flattish road till the trailhead. The ascent began at 7:45 am to end at 11:45 am, including a 30-minute stop for lunch. From the summit it took us 2h30 to get back down to the car, so a bit faster. Though as it was a loop, they aren't directly comparable.

Quote:
You should download "Runkeeper" App. Easy and fun! Although it needs signal to use the GPS calculations of elevation & location. Not sure if there's signal where you go. lol
I checked signal the whole way, almost never had it lol. The only thing you can do with a phone there is to call 122 (European version of 911).

Quote:
lol. At least you saw animals! Still waiting to see mine in the mountains. Although I wouldn't mind if the Bears stay hidden though. lol There are a ton in the Adirondacks.
Yeah I don't think one would enjoy an encounter with a bear much. Here the worst I can meet is a pack of wolves. Their territory is so large that the chances are close to zero.

Quote:
Believe it or not that's my favorite pic... All because, if I was "chilled to the bone" without the proper clothing and I was hiking for a while knowing there's more to go, when I saw this first patch of snow, my previous thoughts would disappear and it would be motivating to keep going and forget about the challenges including being cold. My new thoughts would be, There's probably more up ahead!
Case in point. I would never have guessed that this photo would've been you favorite.

Quote:
Wonder if there are forecasts you could of looked at for that elevation/area to be prepared or maybe the models themselves?
I checked the raw model predictions for the area, but they didn't show rain. Should have checked the models directly but I don't have the habit to unless very "interesting" weather is on the way. This is what I used (town is about 2,500 feet asl):
Meteociel - Prévisions météo pour Tende ( 06430 ) - Météo Tende - Météo 06430

Quote:
Reminds me of when I got to the top of Marcy.. Couldn't see a yard in front of me and with loud 50mph winds and we were like "IS THIS THE TOP?!!" LOL. First 3 times it wasn't. Last time there was the edge of the summit.
Frustrating isn't it? Can definitely relate to it. I once stopped climbing a mountain as fog was getting mighty thick, snow was beginning to fall and there was no trail. Mind you, that was in August!

Quote:
"see" wind? Oh you mean the clouds whizzing by? Yeah, that is awesome to witness.
You can see the ripples on the lake. That rippled area was advancing towards us, along with an area of thicker fog. We were preparing to face the wind.

Quote:
Readsboro, Vermont. Home of a restaurant.
THis is my fave from this batch. Could see myself stopping in this village on a December afternoon/evening. The bare trees are Christmas decorations would make for an especially cozy atmosphere. The English-like landscape at the beginning of the post looks very European. Kinda like this photo I took from the train between Paris and Lyon:
Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
Planted trees are near peak foliage while the forest is still mostly green.
You area looks more advanced than I expected, at least regarding planted trees!

Pics from yesterday afternoon just west of Cannes. Kinda different vegetation from the Alps, a few dozen kilometers away.

Nice seaside villa for a rich train enthusiast. This railway links Nice to Marseille and the rest of France. It's the most scenic stretch between here and Paris.
Spoiler

I don't think I see as many cirrus clouds here as in Paris.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather