Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 12:42 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkis View Post
Our topography in Greece makes foehn effect noticeable. One day for example in the town of Aridea the temperature was -3 C and in one hour temperature reached 12 C. In Serres the past December we had the whole afternoon 3 C and then at evening we had foehn winds from east and the temperature reached 11 C at midnight!!!
Foehn is noticeable here, but the higher relative humidity of here, reduces it's impact on rising temperatures.
The biggest foehn temperature rise I've seen here was a temperature of around 8C at midnight, with 24C by 4.00 am and 27C by 9.00 am, and that was in early October.

Eastern areas of NZ have a much more noticeable foehn effect, with increases of 15C above averages more likely

Old 10-07-2015, 12:45 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,989,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Foehn is noticeable here, but the higher relative humidity of here, reduces it's impact on rising temperatures.
The biggest foehn temperature rise I've seen here was a temperature of around 8C at midnight, with 24C by 4.00 am and 27C by 9.00 am, and that was in early October.

Eastern areas of NZ have a much more noticeable foehn effect, with increases of 15C above averages more likely
8 at midnight and 27 C in the morning? wow!

Old 10-07-2015, 12:51 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkis View Post
8 at midnight and 27 C in the morning? wow!
Yep, it was interesting weather. The wind knocked over a lot of trees -estimated at about one million.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Yep, it was interesting weather. The wind knocked over a lot of trees -estimated at about one million.
Jesus! I love winds but if they are strong they make damages. It happened sometimes this year. :/

Old 10-07-2015, 01:11 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
Ok, so a couple of places in Switzerland are sunnier, but it remains true for those other countries I listed. When I said parts of northern Spain, I had places such as Oviedo, Bilbao and Santander in mind (Bilbao is cloudier than London, Santander is equal to London).

Old 10-07-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Ok, so a couple of places in Switzerland are sunnier, but it remains true for those other countries I listed. When I said parts of northern Spain, I had places such as Oviedo, Bilbao and Santander in mind (Bilbao is cloudier than London, Santander is equal to London).
And I guess those cities arevery mild without snow.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:49 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,813,748 times
Quote:
You could also argue that it's a very small part of the UK that has more sun than these other locations. I mean, the places you're talking about from Sussex to Dorset, can be covered in a 2 hour car journey.
In general, the UK is cloudier than most of those countries, and most of those countries actually have warm-hot summer weather.

I love the UK, especially where I live now. I've moved all over the country, lived abroad etc, but if I moved again it wouldn't be to anywhere else in this country, it'd be abroad. Maybe one day I'll join my sister in Brisbane!
If we had 6 month's at least of highs above 21C, 3 months of 28C highs, and 1000 more hours of sun(for York), I'd be very happy indeed. Ah well.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:57 PM

226 posts, read 244,679 times
Criticism of the UK climate is well deserved as far as I'm concerned. It's dreadful mainly for the lack of sunshine. 1500 hours a year is just abysmal and it's getting worse with the vast majority of summer months in the past decade having below average sunshine and the excesses mainly occurring during the winter when the sun is too low in the sky for it to really matter.

Three days in a row with zero sunshine at the moment and it's depressing especially as it's North Sea cloud which is just vile and seems to be increasing in frequency. Thankfully the sun is due to make a return tomorrow though possibly not for long given we are entering the worst time of year for rain and gloom.

That said most of Europe away from the Mediterranean is dire for sunshine as well. The cloudiness of Central Europe is even worse given it's geographical location further from the Atlantic/North Sea. I spent 10 days in Slovakia at the end of May/beginning of June 2013 and was subjected to almost continuous overcast which only really broke in the evenings. It was made even worse by the fact that back home there was respectable levels of sunshine over the same period.

I also had a similarly horrific experience in the Netherlands near the German border in July 2000. Dusseldorf had under 100 hours sun that month and it was the worst fortnight of summer weather I had endured before the downturn in the UK summers from 2007 onwards.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:09 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,684,161 times
Quote:
A Coruna is on the northern coast, why should it not count?

Old 10-07-2015, 02:28 PM

102 posts, read 103,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard82 View Post
Three days in a row with zero sunshine at the moment and it's depressing especially as it's North Sea cloud which is just vile and seems to be increasing in frequency. Thankfully the sun is due to make a return tomorrow though possibly not for long given we are entering the worst time of year for rain and gloom.
To be expected when you live in Aberdeen, the coldest city in the UK. Here we've experienced 3-4 weeks of unseasonably warm and relatively sunny weather, daytime temps seem to be averaging about 17-18C. Although next week it's forecast to drop down to 14C. Still incredibly mild for October considering we're on the same latitude as Moscow, and above Newfoundland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather