Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 10:41 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Yes, I would assume so. Their winter temps are rather marginal but every once in a while they're at a decent location to get huge snowstorms. Like the 20" blizzard that happened in Raleigh in 2000.

It's understandable really.
Thanks. I don't understand why some people react the way they do. Life's a real mystery sometimes.

Thank you Nei for cleaning things up a bit and keeping this thread alive.

Getting back on topic, the deepest snowfall I've been privileged to see is a foot to 14 inches - once in March of 1980, and again in 1987, and I actually drove in it in my 1970 Toyota Corolla...lol.

In some ways, southern snows are more fun than northern ones, since the streets don't get plowed right away. Makes travel a bit more challenging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 10:52 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Thanks. I don't understand why some people react the way they do. Life's a real mystery sometimes.

Thank you Nei for cleaning things up a bit and keeping this thread alive.

Getting back on topic, the deepest snowfall I've been privileged to see is a foot to 14 inches - once in March of 1980, and again in 1987, and I actually drove in it in my 1970 Toyota Corolla...lol.

In some ways, southern snows are more fun than northern ones, since the streets don't get plowed right away. Makes travel a bit more challenging.
I think southern snows are more awesome because of how much of a novelty they are. Don't get me wrong, 20" of snow in Minneapolis is awesome but it's way more awesome when it happens in Raleigh or Nashville.

BTW, I feel like this has been discussed before, how about 50 inches of snow in May in North Carolina?

1992: Freak May Snowstorm in North Carolina - The WeatherMatrix Blog Weather Blog

Old 10-13-2015, 10:58 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
I was going to ask you to marry me NSD until you said you moved to Florida. Sorry it's over. I love everything about snow and it isn't unusual to see me out there for hours on end shoveling it. There's something fun about a blizzard that snows you in for days. I love walking in it with the dogs, and the solitude of having the whole town to myself except for the police and plow guys. Sometimes we get a good dump on New Years Eve and it's magic walking around with the Christmas lights on. I love the way the lights glow under a snow covered bush. I like to make ice candles for the holidays and they look even more beautiful in the snow. Don't get me started on skiing, ice skating, and sledding with the shorties. I'm researching buying a vacation rental on a lake in Maine that we can rent out during the summer because I want to live there in the winter. They get way more snow then we get here. I love all four seasons but I'm always depressed to see the snow leave. Unfortunately it's becoming more and more fragile here. A good blizzard could be gone in a few days.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:59 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I think southern snows are more awesome because of how much of a novelty they are. Don't get me wrong, 20" of snow in Minneapolis is awesome but it's way more awesome when it happens in Raleigh or Nashville.
Or Wilmington!

Old 10-13-2015, 11:01 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,454,887 times
Quote:
Good gosh, we can't talk about our own damn continent? FYI, this website is American and it should be no surprise that it has a heavy focus on North America.

Besides, there's 3 pages of tedious discussion on the general chat thread about how many UK threads there are - so you can't say you haven't had your share of discussion.

But if you wanna start your own UK "snow" thread, go right ahead - again, it's up to the moderator to decide if it's worth having on this board.

Not to mention that North America is extremely geographically and climatically diverse, with large cities in so many different climate groups, with desert climates, semi-arid climates, subarctic climates, oceanic climates, tropical/subtropical climates, continental climates, and Mediterranean. Also significant swaths of area spanning other climate groups as well.

Whereas most of Western Europe is, well... oceanic or Mediterranean.

\\

Anyways, this year's snow total was the second-most ever at Islip, with 60 inches. This year also saw the longest streak of snow-pack at 9 inches or above (30 something days, I believe), as well as the longest streak of nonzero snowpack (40+ days). The highest snow total for any calendar year was 2014, which saw 63 inches of snow. 2013 saw the largest single snowstorm for Suffolk County, with 28" at Islip and 3'+ in parts of the island. Glad to have experienced these three past winters.

In fact, for the past five winters, we have been averaging twice our annual snowfall of 25" for the 1984-2010 period. And in fact, if we only count 2000-2015 our annual average is up to 36". Doubt that it'll keep up though.

As for Geneva, I don't expect much this year. I want to check Meteociel or MeteoSwiss for the records but I don't know how (French posters?). Average is only 10" per year. Must be more up on the Salève and the other surrounding hills though. Needless to say, I plan on taking a trip to the mountains come winter. Will post details then.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:06 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Our highest ever was 55.4" in 1917.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:11 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,900 times
It's pretty surprising that Atlanta hasn't had any snow greater than 9 inches in the city proper since record-keeping began - although areas just to the north have had much more. I do think the Atlanta area is way, way overdue for a colossal snowfall - there's no reason it can't happen if cold air meets a powerful Gulf low.

Will this year be our lucky year? I know I shouldn't get my hopes up, but I do have a feeling it might just happen. Imagine what this place would be like if we got buried in two feet of snow...lol. One thing's for sure - this place would be shut down until that stuff melts.

The closest we've come to something like that was in Jan of '11, when we got 5-6" of snow, plus a half inch of ice on top of that, followed by a deep, long-lasting freeze. Basically nothing moved for 3 days, and it took a week for things to get back to normal. Here at the house (being at the top of a hill), we didn't get mail service for 8 days. 8 days!

Old 10-13-2015, 11:24 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,454,887 times
Quote:
The closest we've come to something like that was in Jan of '11, when we got 5-6" of snow, plus a half inch of ice on top of that, followed by a deep, long-lasting freeze. Basically nothing moved for 3 days, and it took a week for things to get back to normal. Here at the house (being at the top of a hill), we didn't get mail service for 8 days. 8 days!
Ah, I remember getting ice storms in Jan 2011 as well. Entire driveway was coated and one morning dropped to 0F (a once/3-4 year event).

Speaking of shutdowns, after the 2013 blizzard we got screwed as well. Sequentially, here's a sketch of what happened:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1259673

-forecast only calls for 8-12" so they only sent out a small number of plows
-heavy snow starts coming down, at times 4" per hour (which is an incredible rate)
-plows can't keep up; people get stranded on highways
-2-3 feet of snow piles up on highways, with drifts up to 5'
-all roadways are shut down for 3-4 days afterwards, cars remain stranded (including mine)
-CAT tractors and other heavy equipment is used to remove snow from highways so they finally reopen on the 4th day, with smaller streets remaining closed for up to a week
-After all said and done, district attorney gets fired (he was vacationing in Hawaii at the time, lol)

Old 10-13-2015, 11:28 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Speaking of S.N.O.W! Notice he used the Humidity graphic and Omega snow growth zone.

Snow levels to drop to 2000 feet for Vermont and NH. Maybe a couple inches accumulation for the summits.

There's going to be 2 maybe 3 chances for snow! The first as the trough pushes. The second as the 850mb temps are already below freezing another short waves comes in with moisture at the mid levels.

Good write up. Short and Sweet. Green and White Mountains have best chance of accumulating. Adirondacks might not be in a god position. Maine in very good position.

https://shearanalytics.wordpress.com...t-into-sunday/

Old 10-13-2015, 11:34 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
I'm with the OP on this one. Boise gets cold in the winter, but we don't get a lot of snow these days (more when I was younger). I've always said that snow is the reward for dealing with the cold grey days and long cold nights.

Despite being both higher latitude and higher elevation than Boston and New York, we get practically no snow by comparison, due to the geography.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather