Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 05:36 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
TBH, I understand the vegetation argument. I remember it wasn't until almost the immediate coast till I saw palm trees in South Carolina.
There's plenty of other subtropical vegetation besides palm trees though.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:38 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,451,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
TBH, I understand the vegetation argument. I remember it wasn't until almost the immediate coast till I saw palm trees in South Carolina.
That's totally by coincidence. Palm trees thrive well inland in South Carolina, and are grown even northwest of Columbia.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
That's totally by coincidence. Palm trees thrive well inland in South Carolina, and are grown even northwest of Columbia.
I saw plenty of palm trees when I was in Columbia during May 2007.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:22 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I saw plenty of palm trees when I was in Columbia during May 2007.
I'm from the Caribbean so palm trees don't interest me at all and I don't find them exotic at the least. The only palm I like is phoenix canariensis, which are grown best in Csa climates and PR is too hot for them. But, my most favorite vegetation are magnolias, cherry blossoms, and royal poincianas. Palm trees in general are overrated and they shouldn't go beyond their native range

Old 02-11-2016, 08:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm from the Caribbean so palm trees don't interest me at all and I don't find them exotic at the least. The only palm I like is phoenix canariensis, which are grown best in Csa climates and PR is too hot for them. But, my most favorite vegetation are magnolias, cherry blossoms, and royal poincianas. Palm trees in general are overrated and they shouldn't go beyond their native range
Perhaps that's why they're so common in California, at least the San Francisco Bay Area. Though that's a Csb climate.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Perhaps that's why they're so common in California, at least the San Francisco Bay Area. Though that's a Csb climate.
That's true, they grow all the way up to Crescent City, CA if I'm not mistaken, or slightly into the Oregon border. Basically still a cooler Mediterranean climate. When I went to Tenerife in the Canary Islands, I saw many of them growing in the Mediterranean side (north side) in La Orotava Valley, but I saw them in the semi-arid parts too south of Santa Cruz de Tenerife

Old 02-11-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah, palm trees are honestly quite boring trees. I don't understand the obsession or the need to grow them out of their native range either. It seems people do it to make their climates seem warmer than they are...

Old 02-11-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah, palm trees are honestly quite boring trees. I don't understand the obsession or the need to grow them out of their native range either. It seems people do it to make their climates seem warmer than they are...
I think it's the tourism and leisure industry that idolizes palm trees. Palm trees equals vacation in many people's minds. Of course, no palm tree brings vacation . I don't know in Florida, but in PR, most of the coconut palms are in areas where there's lots of tourists. In the residential areas and the mountains, the vast vast majority of vegetation is native

Old 02-11-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I think it's the tourism and leisure industry that idolizes palm trees. Palm trees equals vacation in many people's minds. Of course, no palm tree brings vacation . I don't know in Florida, but in PR, most of the coconut palms are in areas where there's lots of tourists. In the residential areas and the mountains, the vast vast majority of vegetation is native
They grow them here in residential areas too, they line the streets here. You don't find much "native" vegetation here until you're in the rural interior.

I agree regarding the tourism industry thing. I'm not sure how a tree equates to vacation though. Just shows how impressionable people are. I've noticed it's people from cool climates the ones who seem to most obsessed with them.

Palm Trees don't bring anything but flying roaches here seriously, they bring gross ass bugs

Old 02-11-2016, 09:41 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,451,533 times
Quote:
The sabal palm is such a beautiful tree. If landscape is dominated by palms, like A1A for example, it becomes boring. But they make a great ornament in areas that are primarily pine forest and/or deciduous.

I love the gentle rustling that the fronds make when the wind blows. This one is outside my bedroom window where I stay in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather