Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2016, 04:22 PM

13,441 posts, read 8,977,822 times

Advertisements

snj90 is very fickle lol...

Old 03-04-2016, 04:32 PM

13,441 posts, read 8,977,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Nothing to do with what I said. Now you're straying into a philosophical conundrum that is irrelevant to this discussion (i.e., by changing the past, you would change the circumstances that led to your coming into existence. Might as well say nothing about the past should have been different, or else you run the same risk. But in reality the past cannot be changed regardless of what we say about it, and there is no harm in debating its merits from the standpoint of those who lived in the past.)

Small-scale and gradual absorption of other elements has always happened and will continue to do so, but forming a society based on nothing but ideas (like the USA being about "freedom" and not blood kinship) is inherently dysfunctional.

Nonsense. Humankind managed just fine without massive immigration, and most people married within their village, and still do. You are essentially arguing that what has worked and been the norm historically is unworkable, which is preposterous.

That has never been the case because humans organize in tribes, and at a higher level, nations.

As usual, the use of leftist buzzwords is a substitute for reason.

You hold that distinction, as a gay man who cheers for Muslim immigration to Europe.
I really do wonder where you get your ideas from...

You being the product of immigration has everything to do with the discussion You cannot seriously think immigration is bad when your own family did it for a better life! In your "perfect world" everyone would stay where they were born & be segregated, just like black people & those of other religions were... Funny how similar your views are to Hitler...

Where exactly have I been "cheering" for Muslims immigration to Europe?? And I have had Muslim friends who have had no problem with my sexuality, so not sure how that in any way makes me a contradiction...

You are racist, you are xenophobic (& a whole load of other things which if I said I'd get banned), you can deny it all you like, but your posts speak for themselves...

Old 03-04-2016, 05:18 PM

14,498 posts, read 9,386,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Whoa. You were such a pro-Trump guy; I remember last year I mentioned his positions may be insincere but you dismissed it. What changed?
I was hoping, and thinking, they were more or less sincere. Now I do doubt it. His statement last night about the H1B visas makes me doubt his sincerity (he only later realized it was a mistake and took it back). What's obvious is Trump has developed a great strategy for securing the GOP nomination. Also, previously, I thought Trump had little to gain from taking the positions he's taken or self-funding his campaign. I now see him as someone who feeds off the energy of the campaign, and who actually benefits from his presidential campaign by marketing his brand.

See this story, for example: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/06/us...er=rss&emc=rss

He was probably going to back down from many of his positions anyway, since his Art of the Deal even advocates making unrealistic proposals and then negotiating down from there. That's kind of what he's doing. While that's not a deal-breaker in and of itself, and it can lead to positive improvements, it does make one reconsider the merits of his campaign and whether he's really worth it.

And for me, I do not like his apparent willingness to buddy up with Putin. It is too disfavorable from a Ukrainian perspective. This is really the #1 issue for me, ultimately, but it's also hard to foresee how things will play out with Trump versus someone else in the WH. But I do like Kasich's position, that's for sure.

Also, I can't get too excited about a wall. It's a rhetorical tool, nothing more. It's a cosmetic fix. A good percentage of illegals who come do so legally and overstay. Actual enforcement of immigration laws is what's really needed. I also don't think he'd follow through on stopping Muslims from entering the US, but I'm glad he brought that up since now it's something that can be talked about a bit more, particularly in Europe (hopefully).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Kasich's strategy is hoping he'll get nominated at a brokered convention. I don't think there is a GOP strategy; they have no control over the candidates.
I hope that's what happens. He'll win the general election.

But I think the GOP may have a strategy in encouraging all these candidates to remain, for the purpose of possibly getting a brokered convention.

Trump has managed to tap into some legitimate anger, though. If he loses the nomination in such a way, there will probably be a significant lingering resentment (to say the least) which I think would actually be quite a good thing by itself.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:32 PM

61 posts, read 40,024 times
why would anyone suport clinton in front of trump. even if he's a douchebag, he's not a zionist-shill, old hag oligarch.
Forget Donald Trump, what's the US done to deserve Hillary Clinton, asks RICHARD LITTLEJOHN | Daily Mail Online

Old 03-04-2016, 05:37 PM

14,498 posts, read 9,386,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pragabeer View Post
why would anyone suport clinton in front of trump. even if he's a douchebag, he's not a zionist-shill, old hag oligarch.
Trump once said we should be 1000% for Israel. Though he seems to have backed off the philo-Semitism and Zionist rhetoric a bit (the electorate seems to be less than enthusiastic about more wars for Israel). Though he doesn't need any money from Jewish donors, so there's that, for sure, which is a major benefit.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:21 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,673,495 times
Why would anyone support Hillary? The only reason I can find is that she's not Trump.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:01 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,513,411 times
Got millions of cape gooseberries here if anyone wants any. They dropping on the ground, and only the punk mice and jerk rats are eating them. Make a passable wine or a delicious smoothie

In breaking news: Madonna visited Motueka on thursday. I suspect she probably called in at my place, but I was working that day.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:04 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,796,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Got millions of cape gooseberries here if anyone wants any. They dropping on the ground, and only the punk mice and jerk rats are eating them. Make a passable wine or a delicious smoothie

In breaking news: Madonna visited Motueka on thursday. I suspect she probably called in at my place, but I was working that day.
I don't think I've ever eaten a Gooseberry. I don't really eat any berry named fruit tbh, apart from Strawberry. There's plenty of places for Strawberry picking around here, and as I remember doing it as a kid, I still love it now!

Not a fan of Madonna at all. When she fell off that stage last year, I'll happily admit I found it hilarious. I'd be embarrassed if she was my mother, considering she's about 87 years old, yet still prances about acting like a 20 year old.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:48 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,673,495 times
I have a love-hate relationship with gooseberries. Are they awesomely yummy or bleh? IDK.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:36 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,546,217 times
Cape gooseberries and gooseberries are different fruits entirely. Gooseberries are green and quite sour, but still taste nice, whereas cape gooseberries are covered in 'paper' and are quite sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather