Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2016, 01:05 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,680,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Still think you should have chosen northern New England or upstate NY, but maybe the job market is harder since there aren't any large cities?
Because of the weather or because of other factors? Minneapolis' metro is very big, so it's not as boring as some town of 30,000 I suppose.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:13 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,457,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Appreciate that I'm officially moving in August.

Yeah, it's a "real" climate with real winters and the summers are warm and humid enough to be interesting and get plenty of storms but not hot to the point of it being unbearable.

Minneapolis is certainly the place where you can pretty much encounter any type of weather, plus it constantly ranks among the top places to live in the U.S.
Good ****. I would say it's a better decision than Fairbanks for the reasons I mentioned before.

Feb 2015 on Long Island was like a typical February in Minneapolis with a mean temp around -7C at my place, and having experienced it I can tell you it was pretty much the greatest month weatherwise I've ever personally experienced. It was probably the only month of my lifetime where I was actually motivated to wake up at 6am each day and go sip the fresh morning air. It's definitely a place you'll enjoy climatically.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:39 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
Are you really moving? Not a joke? If so, I'm so happy for you, that you'll find a climate you like even though I really don't like that kind of winters, it doesn't mean you'll dislike it if you like cold winters, they'll be really good for you! August will probably be like the weather that Miami gets during the whole year, while October onwards things will start getting interesting

And then, will you tell us how the daily and ordinary life is in a climate like that? It will be good for you
Yes - I'm really moving! I'm really excited about it, of course I'll keep you guys updated on how daily life is. Even moving there in late August would feel like relief coming from Miami, as mid-summer conditions are starting to wane by that point and by September it's noticeably cooler and October is solidly autumnal.

Quote:
Still think you should have chosen northern New England or upstate NY, but maybe the job market is harder since there aren't any large cities?
How come? And to my understanding, the economy in Minneapolis is a lot less depressed than most Upstate NY cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Good ****. I would say it's a better decision than Fairbanks for the reasons I mentioned before.

Feb 2015 on Long Island was like a typical February in Minneapolis with a mean temp around -7C at my place, and having experienced it I can tell you it was pretty much the greatest month weatherwise I've ever personally experienced. It was probably the only month of my lifetime where I was actually motivated to wake up at 6am each day and go sip the fresh morning air. It's definitely a place you'll enjoy climatically.
Thanks man! Yeah, I think I was a bit in over my head with the whole Fairbanks thing lol. Fairbanks is way too far and isolated for me. Minneapolis is far as **** too but a lot closer and more accessible. Plus, summers in Minneapolis are more interesting and stormy than Fairbanks.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:56 PM

Why did they delete my messages about me suggesting Alex a place with warmer winters than Fairbanks because they would have been too brutal, though? I didn't want to offend anyone

Old 04-25-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Why did they delete my messages about me suggesting Alex a place with warmer winters than Fairbanks because they would have been too brutal, though? I didn't want to offend anyone
Did they really do that? No way someone could have thought that was offensive or something. Maybe it was part of a larger conversation that involved arguing or bickering? Lol

Old 04-25-2016, 01:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
How come? And to my understanding, the economy in Minneapolis is a lot less depressed than most Upstate NY cities.
Oh, that's what I meant. I was asking if the reason you didn't choose upstate NY or northern New England was the lack of large cities so not as good of a job market.

You're still going to have hotter summers than me. Frost-free is about the same or slightly shorter, too. A big reason I'm not as interested in Minnesota relative to northern New England or upstate NY is Minnesota is much flatter. I like hills.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
They is probably me. It was probably within a mass delete — lots of garbage posts recently. Easy for a post to get mixed in with those when I'm trying to delete 40 posts in the conversation in the thread.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
They is probably me. It was probably within a mass delete — lots of garbage posts recently. Easy for a post to get mixed in with those when I'm trying to delete 40 posts in the conversation in the thread.
How does a mass deletion work? You opened my posts list and deleted many of them, or...?
And why was there a mass delete? What happened? I don't think I've attacked anyone personally, I just expressed my opinions, and attacked their ideas at most, not them.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Oh, that's what I meant. I was asking if the reason you didn't choose upstate NY or northern New England was the lack of large cities so not as good of a job market.

You're still going to have hotter summers than me. Frost-free is about the same or slightly shorter, too. A big reason I'm not as interested in Minnesota relative to northern New England or upstate NY is Minnesota is much flatter. I like hills.
Oh, right lol. Yes that's why I didn't choose Upstate NY or Northern New England. Also, my brother is moving to Chicago in August so I'll be closer to him to go visit. Minneapolis is about six hours by car from Chicago.

Yes summers will still be hotter though winter comes much earlier (by November, the average high is about 40 F, which is like December for you I'm guessing?)

Yeah, MN is a bit flat, though Minneapolis isn't too far from hilly terrain and not far from many outdoorsy type of activities in the Northwoods of Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan. And of course, MN is the land of 10,000 lakes.

I've read Minneapolis is very outdoor oriented for a big city.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:12 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
Quote:
How does a mass deletion work? You opened my posts list and deleted many of them, or...?
And why was there a mass delete? What happened? I don't think I've attacked anyone personally, I just expressed my opinions, and attacked their ideas at most, not them.
It won't be you! Your posts will likely have been between other posts that may have been argumentative/trolling/insulting etc, and that block of posts will have been deleted. I'm sure your posts were none of the above, but were simply caught up in some silliness from other posters!

Last edited by Dean York; 04-25-2016 at 02:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather