Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 10:23 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,588,947 times

Advertisements

St Helier averages 20c in July and 21c in August. Is one of those places that people seem to think is much warmer than it actually is, along with Cornwall (which probably has the lowest summer temps in England).

Old 06-21-2016, 11:21 AM

13,478 posts, read 9,019,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
St Helier averages 20c in July and 21c in August. Is one of those places that people seem to think is much warmer than it actually is, along with Cornwall (which probably has the lowest summer temps in England).
Yep, like the ridiculously named "English Riviera" for Torquay/Paignton area, not as warm or as sunny as further east along the south coast, but because it is full of palms (mostly Cordylines) people think it has the best climate in the UK lol...

Old 06-21-2016, 11:23 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,813,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
No, the Jersey averages are from the airport, which is in the exposed western side of the island. St Helier and further East in Goree are certainly warmer.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:23 AM

290 posts, read 210,183 times
Sun was pretty strong in Manhattan yesterday, it was only 28c but felt very overwhelming.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:33 AM

137 posts, read 95,154 times
a step in the right direction. shame it had to take an invasion to instill some ****ing common sense.

Sweden votes in favour of tough new residency laws - The Local

Old 06-21-2016, 11:38 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,676,036 times
10 Reasons to Give More Hugs Everyday - Step To Health

Old 06-21-2016, 11:56 AM

13,478 posts, read 9,019,788 times
Was just having a look for something else on the net & came across this website, for a weather station in Southend in Essex. They are claiming Southend to "officially" be the warmest & driest place in the UK, saying the shown "Met Office" maps prove it, when they are not even maps from the Met Office website but ones they have hashed up themselves lol
Southend Weather: Climate Information

Old 06-21-2016, 11:57 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,790,340 times
Russia was surely a disappointment in the competition. But it shouldn't be that surprising, as Russia has been unable to create any star players in the last 10 years. In Euro 2016 Russia was one of the oldest squads, and they played with no heart. The Russian league is a quality league and judging by the little I've seen of it, it's definitely right there behind the 'traditional top 5'. The problem is that the clubs are in the hands of oligharchs who pay 5 gazillion of rubles to overweight Brazilian strikers to get a quick jackpot success instead of developing the junior player infrastructure.

The same thing apply to top flight English clubs. In this sense England and Russia has a lot in common. The big four in England have the same mentality that "screw the future, we have Arab or oligharch money, let's buy Chris Sutton's brother for £40 million. Oh, right, he's English, pay £80 million for him! This Juan Pablo Devil seems to be quite good, buy him for £60 million too."

Both England and Russia have the same insular mentality. Russia because they don't care about the outside world because this worked in the Soviet system, and Russia #1!!! URAAAA! England again because you invented football and you won in 1966, and who cares about foreign leagues, so of course you are still the best. Wouldn't even cross your mind to consider why Germany, France, Spain and even bloody Portugal feed top-class players all the time, or why David Beckham comes to Turku to be operated by a Finnish surgeon. Even when Spain feeds top tier players finishing high school it doesn't hit even remotely a nerve. You feed feed Championship-level players who hardly are literate. Or League 1-level squad players who spice up the Finnish league, which is utter rubbish.

I guess England will wait for the next 50 years too if you don't realise that maybe they are doing things better on the continent and we might have something to learn from them. My guess is that you won't, because that would be a humiliation.

Russia's problem again is that all sports are merely a political tool and the billionaires finance the league. After all, their heads might be chopped off if Putler is ousted, so go nuts now. And almost all of the Russian top players play in Russia, and always have. The top players and coaches have very little knowledge how the game is played today in Western Europe. Remember EURO 2008? Russia did well, and Arshavin, Zhirkov and Pavliuchenko (were there others?) were bought by Premier League top clubs. And how did they do? Not much better than Juan Pablo Ángel, and filled with homesickness they returned to Russia.
One recent example is that the Finnish champions SJK were drawn against BATE from Belarus (technically Russia). Their manager said "I don't know much about this team, but I guess they play typical Scandinavian football - direct long balls and very physical". This stereotype was born in the 90's with the Norwegian national team, but even Norwegian teams have only remnants of this. Danish, Swedish and Finnish clubs play in a style which can be classified as a hybrid of German and Dutch style of play.

Well, I could've said this in one phrase: "England and Russia are both stuck in the past ignorant of the surroundings", but not that I would have anything more meaningful to do.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:07 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,588,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Was just having a look for something else on the net & came across this website, for a weather station in Southend in Essex. They are claiming Southend to "officially" be the warmest & driest place in the UK, saying the shown "Met Office" maps prove it, when they are not even maps from the Met Office website but ones they have hashed up themselves lol
Southend Weather: Climate Information
Lol! Of the official stations, St Osyth is the driest and I'm guessing St James's Park is the warmest.

Dungeness is probably drier than Southend too.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:09 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,652,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Did you take any of the seedlings? I have a small Rhopalostylis baueri var. cheesemanii which is growing well, I had one in my UK garden too (died in 2010 winter) & found it grew much faster than Rhopalostylis sapida...
No, I try to get ones from the closest wild population, which is about 2km away across the river. I have about 40 Nikaus from 1000s of seeds that I threw around the gullies here years ago. After about a year the ground was carpeted with them, but summer dry conditions quickly thinned them down to the ones that were growing in soaks or springs. The biggest ones are only about 5 ft high and trunkless, in sharp contrast to ones around the house which I transplanted from the seedlings in the gully-they have about a foot of trunk and are about 15ft high, thanks to lots of TLC.

I've got one Rhopalostylis baueri, which was sold as a Norfolk Nikau rather than a Kermadec Nikau. I need to transplant it as it doesn't get enough water. It hasn't really started growing quickly yet, but the difference in form is already obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.