U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Sub zero weather. Love it or hate it?
Love it! 43 39.45%
Despise it! 66 60.55%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2008, 09:45 PM
 
Location: still in exile......
29,910 posts, read 5,299,044 times
Reputation: 5904
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Count me as the opposite of most people....

above 75 and not too humid is fine...no humidity and 90 is ok (esp if vacationing somewhere near water)....but overall living day to day 75 would be my top limit in the summer. I prefer the crispness of 10 to 20 below and no wind....when the snow is very dry and crunches when you walk and you have sundogs around the sun from the ice crystals in the sky. At night...so many stars as clear and very cold air brings the clearest of the sky. I would prefer 6 months of zero or below....3 months of 40s and 3 months of 70s.

I dont know about most people up north....but most of the people I know going to the grocery store....running errands....bringing kids to daycare....dont get all that bundled up....heck I rarely wear gloves even if -20F. Now that goes for doing normal errands...from car to store and back. But obviously if outside a lot and zero and below then you do have to wear a hat and gloves. I find a good coat and pants just fine....I have never worn long johns in my life. But I have always found my body suited much more for the cold than many others...as my co-workers complain about being cold and I just dont mind it. Now...the opposite in warmth. I seem to have the opposite SADS than most in that the part of the season I dislike the most is late spring when the trees start budding out and grass is turning green (up where I live this is usually anywhere from late april thru mid May).... I much rather have cloudy days than lots of sunny days. Sunny and warm days in a row I dont like at all.

I guess I was always suited to live where I do in the frozen north ( and where I live is the coldest of the cold in the contential U.S - outside of high mountains). And I grew up in the south!

Dan
are you the meteorologist for the Grand Forks area on the news? i mean, i wish you were a meteorologist for the atlanta news stations, they like warm weather so much that they get happy when the forecast calls for a high of 68 even if the forecast is strong t-storms with rain and wind, which is what we mostly get when the temp gets that high in jan/feb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2008, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Georgia
11 posts, read 16,068 times
Reputation: 11
Personally, i like warm weather better. The cold is nice, but after a while i get annoyed of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2008, 10:10 PM
 
Location: northwest Minnesota
3,632 posts, read 5,105,008 times
Reputation: 2281
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
are you the meteorologist for the Grand Forks area on the news? i mean, i wish you were a meteorologist for the atlanta news stations, they like warm weather so much that they get happy when the forecast calls for a high of 68 even if the forecast is strong t-storms with rain and wind, which is what we mostly get when the temp gets that high in jan/feb.
Nope not on the news...but work for the federal government National Weather Service in Grand Forks

Yeah and I have been told how unique I am... But I love what I do and where I live so that is what most matters.

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2008, 10:14 PM
 
Location: Cold Frozen North
1,923 posts, read 3,102,460 times
Reputation: 1203
By far I'm a cold weather lover. I like it when it goes below zero. Below zero is very tolerable if there isn't a wind. When the wind chill gets to -50, that gets a little rough.

I detest hot and humid weather. I would love to have a replay of some of the harsh winters we had during the 70s and 80s here in Northern Illinois. We just don't get the winters we used to. That's one reason I plan on moving to North Dakota. To get back the winters I remember when I was young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2008, 10:53 PM
 
Location: northwest Minnesota
3,632 posts, read 5,105,008 times
Reputation: 2281
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
By far I'm a cold weather lover. I like it when it goes below zero. Below zero is very tolerable if there isn't a wind. When the wind chill gets to -50, that gets a little rough.

I detest hot and humid weather. I would love to have a replay of some of the harsh winters we had during the 70s and 80s here in Northern Illinois. We just don't get the winters we used to. That's one reason I plan on moving to North Dakota. To get back the winters I remember when I was young.
Extreme cold waves dont happen every year up here. A week ago we did have very cold with high winds and wind chills were the lowest since I moved here in 1998. Now remember the wind chill formula was changed...so that -50F now was more like -75F or so back prior to 2001... We did have during the day -15F with 30 mph winds for WC of -40 to -50 during the day which doesnt occur too often. More often, we get -25 to -30 or so. But that does enter cold range for sure (even for me) and certainly not a time to walk the dog.

one thing about our cold winters is that kids and dogs get kind of stir crazy sometimes during the real cold outbreaks... the daycare where we send our 2 1/2 yr old son doesnt let them outside to play if the actual temp is blo 10 degrees...and even then only for about 15-30 minutes so they can play on the snow pile left from the parking lot maintenance crew. But we have been very dry this past month....hardly any new snow....but got that old snow from early December and it's more ice crystals now than pure snow.

A lot of people have garage heaters and let their kids play in the garage.

Hope you can make it up here. Granted there is a big difference often from northeast ND to southwest ND in terms of temperatures. can be 5F here and 40 in Dickinson.

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2008, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
3,940 posts, read 9,450,624 times
Reputation: 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
You have the sun out almost everyday in Rapid City. Michigan has it much worse due to the lake effect cloudiness all winter.
I was referring to my visit to Minnesota and Michigan!

But it has been known to get that cold here on occasion. It was like that all last week. Now it's in the 40s with sunshine! South Dakota...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2008, 11:07 PM
 
2,141 posts, read 5,253,608 times
Reputation: 1151
Like most of you, I like it for short periods of time. I especially love it when it's snowing or the day after now when it's cold but sunny and clear. Sometimes it's hard to get out of bed on a cold day, but once you step outside, you're immediately woken up and feeling rather refreshed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2008, 11:11 PM
 
Location: Cold Frozen North
1,923 posts, read 3,102,460 times
Reputation: 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Extreme cold waves dont happen every year up here. A week ago we did have very cold with high winds and wind chills were the lowest since I moved here in 1998. Now remember the wind chill formula was changed...so that -50F now was more like -75F or so back prior to 2001... We did have during the day -15F with 30 mph winds for WC of -40 to -50 during the day which doesnt occur too often. More often, we get -25 to -30 or so. But that does enter cold range for sure (even for me) and certainly not a time to walk the dog.

one thing about our cold winters is that kids and dogs get kind of stir crazy sometimes during the real cold outbreaks... the daycare where we send our 2 1/2 yr old son doesnt let them outside to play if the actual temp is blo 10 degrees...and even then only for about 15-30 minutes so they can play on the snow pile left from the parking lot maintenance crew. But we have been very dry this past month....hardly any new snow....but got that old snow from early December and it's more ice crystals now than pure snow.

A lot of people have garage heaters and let their kids play in the garage.

Hope you can make it up here. Granted there is a big difference often from northeast ND to southwest ND in terms of temperatures. can be 5F here and 40 in Dickinson.

Dan
Thanks Dan. Yes, I'm aware that the formula for wind chill was changed in the last decade, just couldn't recall the year. I'm looking for land between Minot and Williston along the route 2 corridor. I've done quite a bit of research on average temperatures, humidity and snowfall over the entire state of North Dakota. I agree that the Northeast corner gets the coldest average temperatures in the state with the Southwest near the Dickinson area getting the warmest. Williston seems to be only a couple of degress warmer than Grand Forks, so I can settle for that. The bottom line is that winter temperatures in Williston average 15 degrees colder than in Chicago. That's quite a difference! I know that Williston was down to -25 a few days ago. The last time that I can recall Chicago having that was probably 15 or 20 years ago.

Dan, do you know if the Chinooks reach to Williston or Minot? I've read somwhere they can reach the middle part of the state, but not much further. I guess they build up in Western Montana in the Rockies and work east across the Montana and Dakota plains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2008, 11:23 PM
 
Location: northwest Minnesota
3,632 posts, read 5,105,008 times
Reputation: 2281
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
Dan, do you know if the Chinooks reach to Williston or Minot? I've read somwhere they can reach the middle part of the state, but not much further. I guess they build up in Western Montana in the Rockies and work east across the Montana and Dakota plains.
Yes they can....though not quite as often as just south....meaning Watford city to Beulah southward. Extent east and south all depends on jet stream and low pressure tracks...but usually a good chinook case would be jet stream bringing the storm into central British Columbia with surface low forming in central Alberta. Then the low tracks southeast toward eastern North Dakota. In that case the westerly flow aloft crosses the mountains of southern Alberta and Montana and downslopes onto the Plains and winds at say 10,000 ft are strong enough so that winds of 40-60 mph occur from Calgary to Great Falls to Livingston MT and these winds warm up as they go down. The strong winds die off some...but usually westerly winds of 25 to 35 mph is common as they push the warmer air into western ND and SD...more often barely getting into the Williston area...with the main impact with warming temps farther south from Dickinson area southward and eastward toward Bismarck. Minot rarely gets a true Chinook warming wind that far east and the same for Jamestown. Williston-Minot-50W Jamestown line is about the dividing line often between quick warm-ups and melting snow to the south and west and much more extensive snow and longer lasting cold to the east. In the Red River valley the warm air we can get pushed east will skip over us as we sit a bit lower in elevation than surrounding areas east and west of the valley.

Sorry for a long post....Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2008, 12:20 AM
 
Location: TN, to AK one day
279 posts, read 534,535 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Count me as the opposite of most people....

above 75 and not too humid is fine...no humidity and 90 is ok (esp if vacationing somewhere near water)....but overall living day to day 75 would be my top limit in the summer. I prefer the crispness of 10 to 20 below and no wind....when the snow is very dry and crunches when you walk and you have sundogs around the sun from the ice crystals in the sky. At night...so many stars as clear and very cold air brings the clearest of the sky. I would prefer 6 months of zero or below....3 months of 40s and 3 months of 70s.

I dont know about most people up north....but most of the people I know going to the grocery store....running errands....bringing kids to daycare....dont get all that bundled up....heck I rarely wear gloves even if -20F. Now that goes for doing normal errands...from car to store and back. But obviously if outside a lot and zero and below then you do have to wear a hat and gloves. I find a good coat and pants just fine....I have never worn long johns in my life. But I have always found my body suited much more for the cold than many others...as my co-workers complain about being cold and I just dont mind it. Now...the opposite in warmth. I seem to have the opposite SADS than most in that the part of the season I dislike the most is late spring when the trees start budding out and grass is turning green (up where I live this is usually anywhere from late april thru mid May).... I much rather have cloudy days than lots of sunny days. Sunny and warm days in a row I dont like at all.

I guess I was always suited to live where I do in the frozen north ( and where I live is the coldest of the cold in the contential U.S - outside of high mountains). And I grew up in the south!

Dan
you sound just like me, including the growing up in the south part. only thing is, no temps above 70-75 plz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top