Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 09:14 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,148 times

Advertisements

During the summer, they said to get ready for a really wet October/November in the Southwest. Then they said November/December. Last 6 weeks here have been abnormally dry. Now here we are half way through November with very little rain/snow in the forecast.

Is this El Nino going to happen or is it going to be a disappointment to the parched west coast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 09:54 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
For the west coast, El Niño's effects don't really kick in till mid or late December when the jet stream moves south and strengthens.

This is especially true during a strong El Niño year (like the present one). Since the primary mechanism by which El Niño influences California precipitation is through strengthening (and shifting southward) the subtropical branch of the Pacific jet stream, it stands to reason that there would be relatively little influence until later in the winter (say, December or January) when the jet stream is actually in a position to bring regular storms to California.

Dry start to autumn in California, but near-record strength El Niño still on track to bring a wet winter : California Weather Blog

Old 11-12-2015, 04:13 PM

3,314 posts, read 2,216,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
During the summer, they said to get ready for a really wet October/November in the Southwest. Then they said November/December. Last 6 weeks here have been abnormally dry. Now here we are half way through November with very little rain/snow in the forecast.

Is this El Nino going to happen or is it going to be a disappointment to the parched west coast?
El Nino is not a storm!

El Nino is when their is unusually warm water tempuratures in the Eastern Or Central equitorial pacific.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:56 PM

10,558 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Given El Nino conditions in the Pacific, which are in effect, the probability of rainfall in your area during the next few months is elevated, not guaranteed.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:59 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
Yes. El Niño conditions are present. I don't ever remember them saying we would receive rainfall by October. Given past El Niños, I don't see why anyone would predict rains in October for the southwest with any sort of confidence, seeing as how the effects are usually not seen until December like someone else has mentioned. This is when the subtropical jet really ramps up and brings storm systems into the southern tier of the US.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:35 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Yes. El Niño conditions are present. I don't ever remember them saying we would receive rainfall by October. Given past El Niños, I don't see why anyone would predict rains in October for the southwest with any sort of confidence, seeing as how the effects are usually not seen until December like someone else has mentioned. This is when the subtropical jet really ramps up and brings storm systems into the southern tier of the US.
Remember the record setting rainfall we had in both July and September; it already HAS effected us.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:42 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Remember the record setting rainfall we had in both July and September; it already HAS effected us.
Yes. But those are much more indirectly related. Something that we could not obviously forecast with confidence, seeing as how most of the rain we got this summer caught us all completely by surprise.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:52 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,571 times
Default http://pics3.city-data.com/images/cdfh.jpg

Quote:
Yes. But those are much more indirectly related. Something that we could not obviously forecast with confidence, seeing as how most of the rain we got this summer caught us all completely by surprise.
But it came as a result of El Niño which caused those anomalous SST off our shore (mid to upper 70s opposed to our normal upper 60s to lower 70s). It created a very active hurricane season off of Western Mexico and allowed some of those hurricane remnants to make their way to our shores.

San Diego also got some strong thunderstorms on November 4th which were caused by the cold front hitting those anomalously warm SST (still above 70 F in early November).

I am predicting that our winter will deliver as promised with lots of rain but steadily cooling temperatures and SST. I think we will "flip the switch" from El Niño to La Niña in May or June.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:57 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post

I completely agree! It's been yet another disappointment so far, despite the National Blather Service's confidence in a wet stormy winter across California & the SW. Maybe there's some hope for the January through March period, but I think it's essentially a bust. I remember many past El Niños where significant precipitation began in December (or even November in some cases), but not this time! The NWS's long range outlooks are mostly bogus. What's really upsetting is when they make these predictions and get people's hopes up for drought relief, but they turn out to be nothing more than hot air (pardon the pun).

Quote:
Last summer, the 90 day outlook for CA & the SW was for above normal precipitation throughout October, November, and December. Even so, here it is the latter part of December ... and since you agreed that December is the month where the effects from El Niño are seen, tell us where all the precipitation is for CA & AZ. Where's that subtropical jetstream???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
I am predicting that our winter will deliver as promised with lots of rain but steadily cooling temperatures and SST. I think we will "flip the switch" from El Niño to La Niña in May or June.
So far, most of the Pacific moisture has veered to the Pacific Northwest, and the SW is left mostly dry (once again). Also, temperatures here in the SW this month have been fluctuating up & down (first a warm spell, then a cold spell, and back to warm, then cold again after Christmas). This is more typical of a La Niña pattern ... so as far as I'm concerned, the effects of La Niña area already taking shape.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:42 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
I don't know about California but in the Northeast we're having a torchy December, very typical of strong El Niños. This December resembles December 1982 quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather