Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 03:09 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,056,202 times

Advertisements

Some people might think I'm crazy to make this post. But, I personally don't think Chicago gets much snow. Now, stay with me here. I am not saying Chicago winters aren't oppressive. They are. But, you'd think with how COLD it gets here, we would get significantly more snow than some Northeastern cities like NYC or Boston. We only get slightly more snow than NYC, but less than Boston. Neither of these cities has gotten as cold as often as we do. What gives?

In fact, Chicago gets on average 7 more inches of snow per year than Baltimore (4.5 hours south), yet our yearly average is around 10 degrees cooler. Similarly, we get about just 2 more inches of snow than Indianapolis on average yet they are in a warmer plant hardiness zone.

What is to explain this weirdness? I have some theories.

Neighboring cities get more snow than we do despite being in the same climate zone and same latitude. My guess is the urban heat island effect is much smaller. Also, our westerly location on the lake means most lake effect snow is blown eastward. The other effect of this lake near us means that a warming effect happens, and by the time snow does form, it already was blown East so we wouldn't be affected much. The same weather systems that cause snow to go East also cause us to be in right place at the right time for it not to hit us.

My other theory is that the cities of the Bos-Wash corridor are in a location prone to air masses off the Atlantic that cause Nor'easters. Similarly, Indianapolis has no warming effect of a large Lake nor does it have the warming effect of so many millions of people in a smaller area.

My above theories are why Chicago gets such little snow despite its latitude and bitter cold temperatures. But I don't know much about weather science, so I'm wondering if experts can chime in here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 03:18 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Chicago averages 37" of snow in winter, Baltimore averages 20". That's a big difference.

Chicago is on the wrong side of the Great Lakes to get the lake-enhanced snows, and Baltimore is in a better position for mega-snowstorms (Nor'Easters).

Old 11-22-2015, 03:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Check the precipitation averages. Chicago averages about 2" / month in the winter; Boston a bit over 3". But your snowfall numebrs are off

Old 11-22-2015, 03:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Except for a few lake effect spots, west of the Appalachians tends to be somewhat dry in the wintertime.

PRISM Climate Group, Oregon State U [choose a winter month]. There's no Midwest - Northeast difference in summer.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:42 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,056,202 times
Hmmm I was under the impression Chicago averaged 27 inches. My source (that I can't link to here) must be way off then. If that's the case, Chicago is significantly snowier than NYC and just a bit less snowy than Boston. But Boston isn't as cold and their plant hardiness zone is a bit on the warmer side than ours.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:17 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Nor'easters.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:43 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Hmm. Not sure if this thread is a joke or what but since you started this one .. http://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...re-miamis.html I'm not sure.

Not sure if this means anything but 54 years on record they've gotten over 3 feet of snow.

I myself call 3 feet "little" but that might not matter.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:58 AM
SFX

1,637 posts, read 892,171 times
It's a joke thread. Because the stats in the OP were wrong.

Also, while checking, I discovered something a bit disturbing in the NOW records.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:15 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Chicago is on the wrong side of the Great Lakes to get the lake-enhanced snows, and Baltimore is in a better position for mega-snowstorms (Nor'Easters).
Speaking of this... Check out this mornings situation..

Atmospheric flow (the way radar is moving) is in direction of the arrows which shows Chicago on the wrong side of it. Nice to have a visual and good timing with the post.

Surface winds are actually out of the SouthSW but winds aloft are not favoring Chicago for Lake Effect snows. However the other side are getting Lake Effect snows right now especially bit north more..

You can also see why the UP Michigan gets a lot of Lake Snows too. Flow off Superior supports it.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:03 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Chicago is on the wrong side of Lake Michigan to receive "lake-effect snow" that upstate New York is infamous for. See Buffalo for details..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather