Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wellington or Istanbul?
Wellington 21 41.18%
Istanbul 30 58.82%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 05:24 AM

13,476 posts, read 9,017,701 times

Advertisements

Wellington for milder winters...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 10:11 PM

143 posts, read 158,548 times
As someone who has lived in Wellington I just want to point out that it is the windiest city in the world and wind chill + high humidity makes the climate feel substantially less mild than it is. -5 in a dry climate is far more bearable than 5+ in wellington with horizontal rain blowing at you. I remember while I was living there someone was blown over and hurt themselves because it was so windy!

Old 02-02-2016, 10:14 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,592,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysuxx View Post
As someone who has lived in Wellington I just want to point out that it is the windiest city in the world and wind chill + high humidity makes the climate feel substantially less mild than it is. -5 in a dry climate is far more bearable than 5+ in wellington with horizontal rain blowing at you. I remember while I was living there someone was blown over and hurt themselves because it was so windy!

Windiest city? false. Probably windiest capital.

Your foggy town won't win any prizes, either.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:01 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,866,356 times
You could have added Barcelona and Martha's Vineyard that both are at the same latitude as Istanbul, the comparison would have been more fun!

Old 02-05-2016, 07:46 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,348,161 times
Quote:
I don't blame you for moving away. Even in summer it's colder than Christchurch! That wind is absolutely horrible and a lot of hilltop suburbs don't have trees - says it all
A standing joke (here) is if one goes to Wellington, ropes are provided for people to hold on to avoid being bowled over but in reality it's to stop people getting free rides across the Strait to the South Island

Old 02-05-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
I don't blame you for moving away. Even in summer it's colder than Christchurch! That wind is absolutely horrible and a lot of hilltop suburbs don't have trees - says it all
A standing joke (here) is if one goes to Wellington, ropes are provided for people to hold on to avoid being bowled over but in reality it's to stop people getting free rides across the Strait to the South Island

Same old tired tripe - stick to your own climate, you pluviophiliac obsessive - it seems to give you enough problems, judging by your endless whinging commentary - are you bidding for the "energiser bunny" award for poinless repetitiveness again?

There are no ropes - another urban legend.

Colder than Ch'ch in summer - false. Stop reticulating lies.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:12 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,645,404 times
Quote:
I think the humidity works both ways. My impression of Wellington, is that a winter day can often feel balmy in the sun, after rain has passed, and the same evening can feel often cold with wind driven rain,

Old 02-05-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think the humidity works both ways. My impression of Wellington, is that a winter day can often feel balmy in the sun, after rain has passed, and the same evening can feel often cold with wind driven rain,

As an addendum to my reply to the Hamilton guy's post - considering significant NI towns and a purely hypothetical move on climate grounds - Hamilton, Whangarei and Palmerston North would be out of the running. Napier would be my preference on the other list.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:26 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,645,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
As an addendum to my reply to the Hamilton guy's post - considering significant NI towns and a purely hypothetical move on climate grounds - Hamilton, Whangarei and Palmerston North would be out of the running. Napier would be my preference on the other list.
I would take Wellington over Hamilton and Palmerston North. Hamilton is very mossy.

Tauranga, Napier and Gisborne, would all be suitable for me.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:30 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,187,994 times
Istanbul because it has a summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather