Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 10:11 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,173,082 times

Advertisements

I don't think the Southern Hemisphere has any true humid continental climates that rival the ones in the U.S. What Southern Hemisphere location (it doesn't have to be a proper town; just has to have a weather station) has the climate closest to what most people think of a classic four equal seasons climate (let's use Chicago as an example) with warm, humid summers with thunderstorms and cold, snowy winters and solid springs and autumns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 11:12 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Scratch New Zealand off the list, nothing like that here.

Only Argentina has the potential for a climate like that.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:30 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,003,466 times
Balmaceda,Chile:

July Weather for Balmaceda, #HISTORY.state| Weather Underground

4 followed July,only 2015 was pretty mild,because of the Strong El Nino.

and the other is Maquinchao,Argentina.

Summers in Balmaceda isnt Hot,just warm to cool,but i doesnt see any other town in Southern Hemisphere that get temperatures like that.

Old 11-29-2015, 03:11 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
I don't think any place in the Southern Hemisphere will match a place like Chicago in both summer and winter. You can find places that have close to Chicago winters but with much cooler summers and places that have close to Chicago summers but mild winters but not both. Not enough landmass at the mid latitudes in the Southern Hemisphere to generate a climate like that. And in my opinion, it's what makes the Southern Hemisphere superior to the Northern Hemisphere for me in terms of overall climate.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:01 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
These two places in NSW:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiandr..._Wales#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thredb..._Wales#Climate

Old 11-29-2015, 05:47 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
Balmaceda,Chile:

Summers in Balmaceda isnt Hot,just warm to cool,but i doesnt see any other town in Southern Hemisphere that get temperatures like that.
NZ has towns the size of Balmaceda, which have colder record minimums, colder average minimums and hotter summers, while being at a lower altitude than Balmaceda

Here are the stats for Ophir, which is also at 45'S, but is only at 300m compared to Balmaceda at 530m

While I wouldn't call Ophir Continental, I think it better qualifies than Balmaceda, due to it's greater range. What little snow it gets can lie for a while, and it can get some decent summer thunderstorms. It also has a summer rainfall peak. It's extreme temperature range is 37C TO -22C, which is 13C greater than Balmaceda's extreme range.
Attached Thumbnails
Most continental climate in the Southern Hemisphere-screen-shot-2015-11-30-1.40.59  

Last edited by Joe90; 11-29-2015 at 06:32 PM..

Old 11-29-2015, 05:59 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,813,825 times
The range between Winter and Summer isn't that high, they are barely continental if they even fit the bill. What about Western Sydney suburbs? I heard they can get pretty warm over summer and can have freezing lows in winter, diurnal range seems high as well

Old 11-29-2015, 07:12 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,003,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
NZ has towns the size of Balmaceda, which have colder record minimums, colder average minimums and hotter summers, while being at a lower altitude than Balmaceda

Here are the stats for Ophir, which is also at 45'S, but is only at 300m compared to Balmaceda at 530m

While I wouldn't call Ophir Continental, I think it better qualifies than Balmaceda, due to it's greater range. What little snow it gets can lie for a while, and it can get some decent summer thunderstorms. It also has a summer rainfall peak. It's extreme temperature range is 37C TO -23C, which is 13C greater than Balmaceda's extreme range.
The Record Low temperature for Balmaceda is -28C,Wikipedia is wrong.

Balmaceda is at 46S,dont have a lot of diference.

I was looking at map and see that Balmaceda is more open to Maritime air(Because this the very cool Summer).

Ophir even could have lower winter or summer average,but when we talk about extreme cold,Balmaceda wins,i think its due to South America Reach more South.

Look at climate data that i posted for Balmaceda,you will look,the temperatures with highs well below freezing some times in winter.

Also its because the area From 40S to 55S have An Deciduous Forest,while New Zealand does Not.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:13 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,370,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Wiki data for Balmaceda records are terrible... I don't know who could have posted such nonsense.
Its record lowest is -28.3ºC. In more recent years, it reached -27.7ºC:

Resumen synop

Anyway, I don't think Balmaceda is what the OP is looking for, as its summers are too cool.
Then again, there is no place in the Southern Hemisphere out of Antarctica where the annual average temperature range gets to 20ºC, so there is no place where summers are hot and winters are freezing.

San Juan (Argentina) has a range of 19ºC, but it goes from aproximately 27ºC in January to 8ºC in July.
A place which can experience a good amount of heat in summer with some thunderstorms and get reliable snowfalls in winter is Malargüe (Argentina), although its annual range is only about 16ºC, and it may be considered a mild version of Denver rather than a mild version of Chicago.

I guess some nearby areas in Mendoza province such as San Carlos/Valle de Uco get more consistent thunderstorms (and massive hailstorms) in summer and a couple of winter snowfalls, with averages around 22ºC in January and 5ºC in July.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:15 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,173,082 times
Balmaceda is nothing approaching continental and is more similar to the northern UK than anything in the Eastern U.S.
The more seasonal climates of the higher elevations in interior Australia are still more like ocean moderated subtropical climates.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather