Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2016, 10:59 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Probably olive trees, or quercus ilex. I noticed a large loquat tree the other day, with large shiny leaves.
With the warm winter, it might be a good year for loquats. It doesn't seem like they fruit consistently there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
Hi Joe, actually those along the first street aren't olive trees but quercus ilex. Stone pines are beautiful and looks very "italian", although the old ones dramatically lift sidewalks with their roots.
I've never noticed when pine trees produce cones (I thought year round?), but while I was walking down those streets at a certain time a pinecone fell down on the pavement. In my garden sometimes pigeons throw pine cones from the rooftop and then eat pine nuts when cones are broken on the pavement below
Okay. I don't think I've seen Quercus ilex around here before -they look a bit like old olive trees.

Those pigeons have expensive tastes. Pine nuts are so expensive - made some basil pesto recently, and the ingredients, where all free, except for very pricey pine nuts. Will have to grow some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 11:11 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post

Silver River further downstream

Crocodile

Very clear

Tunnel of oaks

Recreated historical village
Good to see the Sabal palm surviving, with it's roots totally immersed. I wasn't having much luck growing Sabal palmetto, until I planted them in a swamp, now they're making up for lost time.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:17 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,666,364 times
River not even frozen this year LOL, people are usually skating on it by now.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Morning walk. Started with a clear deep blue sky. Cool, mid to high 40s warming up to low 50s by late morning.

Other posters here can identify the type of palm trees these are.

Don't remember what this was:

Left the park:

Alley yard:

Mix of styles here

Cactus

Old and new

Bird of paradise and a banana plant?

Apartment blocks

looking east

similar view

Spoiler

Obligatory tourist shot one block down:

Probably not a fun bike ride to go down? Cathedral:

Getting to the tower:

view from the top:

Spoiler

Skyscrapers in the business district rise very abruptly from the surrounding neighborhoods, more so than New York City or even Boston, at least in this direction

Verdant street staircase:

more of the stairs:

Spoiler

narrow street, not many of them. Nor as narrow as Mediterranean Europe but about as narrow as you can find in California.

some more, a few are narrower:

Spoiler

Almost to downtown

This Chinatown street is rather narrow, too

The thirty endangered fish of California:

commercial street

Reached office skyscrapers

neat mural

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Tfmoil7XgyE/Vn2_***-xiI/AAAAAAAANjE/puJ-RrAZZas/s640-Ic42/IMG_2785.JPG[/IMG]

Deciduous trees. Maybe non-native?

Plaza with christmas carols

not sure what this is:

Last edited by nei; 01-03-2016 at 08:24 AM..

Old 01-02-2016, 04:16 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
River not even frozen this year LOL, people are usually skating on it by now.
I remember last year you were mentioning no ice while there was ice forming down here. Sounded crazy but That was the ridge situation for there but this year I would of thought you have some.

Meanwhile check out Lake Tahoe (California-Nevada border).

https://twitter.com/wildweatherdan/s...24136694120448

Old 01-02-2016, 05:05 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Morning walk. Started with a clear deep blue sky. Cool, mid to high 40s warming up to low 50s by late morning.
Nice pics, such a good looking city, love the architecture and plants, looks a lot more verdant than NYC. I definitely want to go there one day. Looks much warmer than 40s/50s too btw.

The palms are all Canary Island Date Palms (Phoenix canariensis), cacti are much harder to identify, but that tall one appears to be a Cereus of some sort.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:49 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Interesting to see olives used as street trees, Do the olives get harvested?, or are there messy sidewalks for a few weeks every year?
We have a few streets lined with olive trees over here, like this one:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/40240883-post420.html

They don't get harvested and things indeed get messy in winter. We have one in front of my building and I had to clear nasty stuff off of my slippers a couple times.

Quote:
The vegetation looks very familiar. The architeture... not so much. Wish I had more than 1 day to visit that city back when I was there.

Quote:
Mmh looks like San Francisco gets more wind than Paris.

Quote:
Skyscrapers in the business district rise very abruptly from the surrounding neighborhoods, more so than New York City or even Boston, at least in this direction
Do you know if zoning prevents the construction of skyscrapers west of downtown?

Old 01-02-2016, 06:55 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,815,362 times
Quote:

Left the park:

Alley yard:

Mix of styles here

Cactus

Old and new

Apartment blocks

looking east

similar view

Getting to the tower:

view from the top:

Spoiler

more of the stairs:

Spoiler

narrow street, not many of them. Nor as narrow as Mediterranean Europe but about as narrow as you can find in California.

Spoiler

Almost to downtown

commercial street

neat mural

Deciduous trees. Maybe non-native? Downtown street, many of the office buildings look different than ones in the Northeast (colors? smoother exterior?):

not sure what this is:
Nice photos. San Francisco looks lovely.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:33 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
They are Skiing in Connecticut right now. Mohawk Mountain in Cornwall.

http://www.mohawkmtn.com/webcam.html

and back down at the coast, Finally a clear day. From Long Island facing CT coast

http://wx.somassbu.org/DATA/HSC/WX-HSC.php

Old 01-03-2016, 07:37 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:

Left the park:

Alley yard:

Mix of styles here

Cactus

Old and new

Apartment blocks

looking east

similar view

Getting to the tower:

view from the top:

Spoiler

more of the stairs:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Almost to downtown

commercial street

neat mural

Deciduous trees. Maybe non-native? Downtown street, many of the office buildings look different than ones in the Northeast (colors? smoother exterior?):

not sure what this is:
Very nice. Would love to visit someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather